Has anyone taken Trazodone for sleep?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by sunnywey, Apr 26, 2004.

1. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I am new here, and was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia today.
    I saw an internist/rheumatologist and she gave me "Trazodone". I did a search here + couldn't find anything on this drug. My GP gave me "Amitriptyline" last year, but I felt exhausted the next day, and couldn't keep taking it.Even a tiny amount,wasn't good for me.I hope this is better. I only sleep about 4:30AM -8:30AM and she said if I could get my darn sleep pattern sorted out, + get into a deep sleep, then my pain should mostly be gone.I am so twisted!! I have always been a night owl, but with menopuse, and all of this, I am getting very disfunctional. I don't have any fatigue, thank heavens, just so much constant pain.
    If any of you have tried "Trazodone", please tell me what you think of it. Thanks!
  2. cmvt74

cmvt74 New Member

Hello, I have had a hard time sleeping for over 8 years now and I tried trazodone about 4-5 years ago and for me it did help me sleep but on the other hand I felt so tired the next day that I had a hard time functioning. (my doctor had me on a high dose though) I even had a hard time waking up the next day. I wouldn't hear the alarm clock or my daughter waking up who was only a few years old. I didn't like that feeling so I quit taking it. But that's me, I have a hard time taking any medication, I'm just too sensitive to any medication that I can't take much. This may work for you but wanted to tell you my experience with it. My advice to you is start out on a small dose and then work your way up. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue for over 4 years now and I really hope you find something that will help you with your pain. Fibromyalgia is such a hard illness and not many people understand how much pain we go through on a daily basis. I hope and pray you will find some relief. Take care:)
  3. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I have been on Trazodone for almost a year.It has helped me with sleep a great deal.My sleep is deeper now and I can get a good nights sleep.Give it a chance and I hope it helps.We are all different so who knows what is the best for you.Give it time and good luck Lana56
  4. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

Well- I took 25 mg of Trazodone 2 hr before I went to bed last nite. I went to bed at 12:30AM + slept very well til 6AM. I wasn't woken up by hot flashes(menopause) or anything. I did wake up with a headache tho, so got up then + took a tylenol + went back to sleep til 8AM. No hang over feeling today. I wonder if I will get a headache every morning? Otherwise, I think it was great, and I'm not as stiff this AM
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I took this for awhile a few years ago, I don't remember the dose, but it made me so groggy the next day. Its a good thing I didn't drive back then! I did sleep soundly though. I take Ambien now, like it much better--I'm sure its more expensive, but I don't have that drugged out feeling most of the day. Like others have said, we all react to meds in a different way.

Good luck to you!
  6. kwayne

kwayne New Member

hi my name is kathy and i have taking both of these drugs.i don't like amitripyline because like you said i was exhausted to.it makes you feel like your so drugged i did'nt like it so i told my doctor i was'nt taking it anymore.as far as trazodone i think it's great i had a great sleep and i did'nt get the drugged effect at all.it did'nt help the pain for me but it did make me feel a lot better.but since my doctor had to put me on morphine now for the pain i can't take trazodone.i hope this helps you and good luck with the fibro.i have fibro and sarcoidosis and arthritis to.with fibro and sarcoid i have double trouble with pain.they both cause a lot of pain big time.well take care and good luck with the trazodone.i hope it helps you like it helped me.it's a good drug i only wish i could take it again.

your fibro friend
    kathy
  7. gailette

gailette New Member

I started taking it and it was a blessing to go to sleep.Been on it many years and have talk to many people useing it to sleep.
  8. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

Well- I quit taking Trazodone.
    It was giving me nightmares every night!
    I would sleep for 4 hours, then I woke up almost hyper + couldn't get back to sleep.
    I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to see what else I can try.
  9. pebbles320099

pebbles320099 New Member

Sunneywey;
    Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Trazadone does work for some of us. I have been taking a low dose for a few years, 50 mg., then after three major surgeries this past year, I had many problems due to infection from the first surgery. I was placed on so many antibiotics that caused more problems and even caused cystitis. Due to that, my physician sent me to a Urologist who increased my trazadone to 100mg at night. He indicated that it does so well for pelvic pain, and also is a lifesaver for those with problems with sleep wherein they have Fibro. So, from MY end, it has been great. I do have to use Clonazepam at a low dose to help with the burning of Fibro along with Zanaflex, PRN. I recently tried Neurontin, but decided it wasn't for me with all of the side affects. I've used Clonazepam at a low dose for 9 yrs now, and I am also in hopes that it will help my recently developed Raynaud's. I just learned Raynaud's can come as a result to trama's., and since I had three this past year...........well, that is something that happened to me. On a positive note, exercise will also help with sleep, even if you DON'T feel like exercising some days. A walk every day does wonders!!
    Hang in there........
    Prayers and God bless
    pebbles
  10. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

My Dr. now has me trying 7.5mg "Zopiclone"(Imovane) which he said is the canadian equivallent to "Zopidem" (Ambien).I only take 1/4 of a pill, and that is enough.

Unlike Trazodone,this drug makes me tired, which is good, otherwise I stay up all night. So- I am asleep within 15 min. of taking it, and I stay asleep for 6-7 hours.

I am not groggy in the AM. The only side affect I have is the rotten taste in my mouth after taking it, but I pop a lifesaver in to suck as I fall asleep, and that helps, altho, I know it isn't good for my teeth.

11. overitall

overitall New Member

I just started taking trazodone last night and i woke up with a terrible nightmare and was wide awake 4 hours later. I'm still going to give it a shot, maybe it was just one of those freak things. I hope you have wonderful results from it.

Best wishes,
    Jen
  12. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

That is exactly how it affected me!

I wish you luck, but please keep me posted on how you do.

If you switch to another drug, let me know.

Thanks for your reply. I thought I was the only one with that reaction to it.
  13. slcgramma

slcgramma New Member

Hi! My name is Carol. In the past 21 years I have taken different anti-depressants, as well as some for anxiety. Trazadone didn't work for me [and it was prescribed by two different doctors---different times] Amitripyline had too many side effects. There is a test that can be done to tell with one will be best for you. I don't recall what it is called, but it was a 24-hour urine test that was sent to Mayo Clinic. [You could go to www.mayoclinic.com to ask about it.] It was determined that I needed something to replace norapinephrine rather than serotonon, so my doctor prescribed EffexorXR (225 mg.) I also take 100 mg. of Tofrinil at night to help me sleep. That one was prescribed at a women's clinic in 1988.

You could try Melatonin and/or Tylonel PM, which includes anti-histamines. One of my doctors prescribed Guifenisen for FM. It is no longer available; but Musinex is the same thing, and you can get it at your pharmacy without a prescription. It is OTC, but some stores keep it in the pharmacy. I found it in Wal*Mart on the shelf with expectrants.

I hope you find what is best for you.

14. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I have found that "Zopiclone" works great for me. No side affects. I don't even get the bitter taste in my mouth anymore! I only need 1/4 - 1/2 a tablet, so my Dr. is happy too.
    I hope you all find something that works for you - there just isn't one simple solution that works for everyone.
  15. jackiej444

jackiej444 New Member

Hi, I have taken Trazodone for sleep for many years. It has really helped me. I also take Baclofen and Klonopen at bed time. The three together has helped me sleep for years. My Trazodone is 150 mg. Good luck and sweet dreams.