Has Anyone Taken Ultram (Tramadol) While on Prozac?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Feb 1, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I’ve been taking Prozac for 11 years & was prescribed Ultracet a few months ago but it didn’t put a dent in my pain. Now my doctor prescribed Ultram and I was told by the pharmacist that I could NOT take my Prozac with the Ultram.

I’m confused...I thought Ultram & Ultracet were basically the same except that Ultracet contains Tylenol.
  2. FibroPainSufferer

I forgot to mention that the side effects the pharmacist told me are: seizures, stroke or death.

Why didn’t I have problems while I was on the Ultracet???
  3. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

All the patient handouts have to say this. Ultracet is Ultram with Tylenol added. My rheumys have all told me that Ultracet with prozac at a low dose say 20 mg per day is ok. Also you should not take the maximum Ultram dose everyday. Contact your dr. it is not for the pharmacist to make that decision, that's what drs are for after all.

I too have been taking it for years.
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Your pharmacist was right to warn you -- that is their job and their area of expertise.

If it were me I would have a serious discussion with my physician about using a different pain reliever.

The information below is from Drug Digest an interactive drug interaction site where you can enter all of your medications and get possible interactions.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

TRAMADOL (in Ultracet, Ultram) may interact with FLUOXETINE (in Prozac)

Both fluoxetine and tramadol have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain.

Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects.

Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness.

Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, and anxiety.

In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If fluoxetine and tramadol are used together, your doctor may want to closely monitor you for side effects.

Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated: August 2006

Take care,

Karen :)

5. FibroPainSufferer

Thank you for replying & for the information!!!

I’ve had a lot of problems with this doctor so I’m seeing a new doctor towards the end of this month.
  6. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Why is it only Prozac and not Cymbalta or Effexor or Paxil or something?

By the way, happy for the tip. Two of my doctors have prescribed these combinations for me and I've never had the pharmacy say a word about it.

Why only Prozac I wonder . . .
  7. FibroPainSufferer

I don't know why it's only Prozac??? You would think it would be the same with any any anti-depressent!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]