Has anyone tried 5-HTP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mewsley, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mewsley

Mewsley New Member

I have not slept a night through in over 5 years. I have been doing some reading on 5-HTP. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried it. I am always concerned about side effects from something new. I have tried just about everything natural that I can find. Greeings from Canada.
  2. Echos

Echos New Member

Hi. My daughter tried 5-HTP for a while and it caused her very severe headaches. After being on it for 3 months, she decided that the severity of the headaches wasn't worth it. If you take it be cautious. We react odd to things that wouldn't affect the normal person.

Echos
  3. debonlake

debonlake New Member

Mewsley: 5 HTP has been a godsend for me. It helps me sleep, but also helps with the terrible pain I have on the side of my face. I take it at night with the ZMA and I sleep better than I have for years. Please see the other posts about ZMA. I have been takeing the 5HTP for quite awhile but the ZMA only for a few months. It is worth a try. Deb
  4. basket21

basket21 New Member

If you are on anti-depressants, you cannot take this. You never mentioned if you are on prescription meds or not. I always run any herbal or whatever past my pharmacy as they know what I take for prescriptions. It's amazing that one time I mentioned a herbal supplement, I cannot remember the name now, but they said I would overdose as this herb was like one of my prescription meds. Scarey eh?
    Just double check you'll be ok before trying something.
    regards, basket21
  5. Mewsley

Mewsley New Member

Thanks for giving me your experience with 5-HTP. I am going to try 25mgs tonight and see how it works for me. I have been trying valerian but it does not work for me.
  6. Mewsley

Mewsley New Member

My doctor wanted me to take Paxil but I have heard too many bad things about it. I just have Xanax for panic attacks which I use only if absolutely necessary. Thanks

[ advertisement ]