Has anyone tried a tilt table for back pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steffy, Jun 11, 2003.

1. steffy

steffy New Member

Just wondering. My husband bought a Hangs UP tilt table where you lay flat, are held by your feet and tilt back, as far as totally upside down (I only tilt about 30 degrees). I have some compressed discs and reason tells me that countering the effects of gravity on my spine could help, plus stretching and increasing blood and lymph circulation to those tight muscles. The effects seems neutral so far.
    Any opinions?

steffy
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

When I first hurt my back in 88 he told me my back
    was so bad I would need to see him dailly. He ordered
    me an orthopod. It is like sitting in a chair upside
    down, hanging by your hips. It helped me out somewhat and I used it daily.

He also has the tilt table at his office now and I have
    used that as well.

I didn't have FMS when I used these products.
    I know now that I couldn't tolerate it due to
    dizziness and shoulderpain. They put me on
    the tilt table when my shoulder was bothering
    me and it hurt me terribly.

I think they are great if you can use them
    They help by decompressing your back.

Good Luck
    Lynn
  3. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

I have tried the tilt table and like it, but I hang myself completly upside down. My spine just always feels so compressed...like I couldn't possibly stretch it enough! I work for a lady who has the traction system. I would like to know more about that from someone here and how to get it and the price. Thanks bunches
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I forgot about neck troubles someone mentioned.
    My chiropractor taught my mother how to do
    some kind of traction on my neck with a towel.
    She used to do this on a regular basis for me.
    I forgot all about that!

Lynn
  5. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I have been suffering with constant neck/ shoulder/ back pain for the past 2 years. I have been diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis and have serratus anterior dysfunction and a winged scapula.
    I've tried a back brace, neck brace, heat/ice, massage...you name it.
    I finally decided to purchase an inversion table ( brother in-law with lumbar disk problems swears by it).
    Just had it delivered today and only tried it once so far, so it will be a while before I any noticable results...here's hoping.
    I also read in the instructions to take it slow and easy, short periods of time and minimal inversion for the first weeks, so the body can adjust gradually.
    Good luck with it. I'll let you know if it helps me.
  6. steffy

steffy New Member

To respond to some of your comments: I'm glad and encouraged to know that some of you benefit from the inversion (tilt) table. My sister-in-law has a cervical traction device that she swears by. I've been meaning to try it. However, much of my pain is in my lumbar region. The inversion table seems to stretch those muscles well, although, I often have one sharp spasm upon bending over to release my feet when I get off. Perhaps I'm overdoing it. I sometimes think a tilting chair would feel better in that region. However, I like the idea of stretching my hamstrings (legs). By the way, I try to warm my muscles with exercise, or a hot bath/shower before using it.

After shopping around locally and on the Internet, we got our Hangs Up table on ebay. There are a several models and distributors putting them up for auction--and these are brand-new-in-the-box. We paid just under $300 with free shipping for ours. Which was about $100 cheaper than the local Healthy Back store. I suggest that you try one before buying if possible.

It comes with an interesting booklet that has a number of claims: In addition to relieving spinal pain by aligning and stretching the vertebra, ligaments and muscles, it reportedly improves general circulation of the blood and lymph systems. Thereby, it can help clear up your fascial skin and increase hair growth on your head, plus clear up the cob webs in your brain and increase your IQ (I like that one!). Oh yes, it can help you regain those lost inches due to time and gravity, and it makes a weak claim to help regulate your autonomic nervous system. However, I'm dubious that anyone with Neurally Mediated Hypotention should use it. It has other contraindications, such as: hiatal hernia, glaucoma, detached retina, high BP, TIAs or strokes, cardiovascular and pulmonary disease, spinal injury, bone disease, use of anticoagulants, ear infections and extreme obesity.

Obviously it is not for everyone, and it's benefits are, no doubt, somewhat overstated (If only it could be that simple!). Still, some of it seems to make sence, so I'm going to try to use it more regularly and work up to 10 minutes twice a day. Will be sure to post any amazing improvements!

steffy
  7. scottsworry

scottsworry New Member

Hi,
    I had won for several years. My grandmother of all people had one and let me use it. I found that it helped while I was on it. It was a nice relief from the pressure. However, once I was off the pain came back within minutes.
    But any relief is wonderful!

Becky