Has anyone tried Amberen for Menopause Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, Jan 13, 2010.

1. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I heard about this product on the radio. It's supposed to be all natural. I'm skeptical about ordering it since they want you to buy a 3 month supply.
    Thanks for your input.
  2. 98and99

98and99 New Member

I too was skeptical about Amberen. I'm in early stages of menopause: night sweats, moody and occasional hot flashes. I tried Amberen and WOW!!! noticed improvement within 2 weeks. Nights Sweats gone first then other symptoms gone. Took the 3 month cycle, then off for 3 mos. then repeat. I HIGHLY recommend this. I can tell when the 3 mo off cycle is almost up as symptoms slowly creep in but after only a week back on symptoms are gone again.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

.....Most of the ingredients in it are minerals that may help (although I am not quite sure about the specific forms of each that they listed), but they are combined with other things that may not help and may trigger bad reactions.....and one of the MAIN ingredients listed is MSG - an additive that commonly causes various bad reactions (and that is actually being used less often in foods than it used to be bc of this - but is still used a lot)....so at best some of the extra ingredients are unnecessary and at worst they could cause a bad reaction

I didn't check the price, but the things in it that could help are not normally that expensive, so it would seem that just taking those (calcium, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin E) and not risking all the other things that are added would be better

they also say that they include a "proprietary blend" of ingredients that they do not list - personally I won't take anything w/o knowing what it is - I react badly to too many things, but even if I didn't I just don't think it's wise to put some unknown blend in my body

one supplement (not listed in this) that many women find helpful for menopause (esp for hot flashes) is black cohosh
  4. NicoleLA

NicoleLA New Member

Hi AuntTammie! Just wanted to let you know that I decided to do some of my own research on Amberen after seeing your post. I called and spoke with the Amberen Customer Service about the ingredients, including MSG, and it turns out that it is an extremely tiny amount of MS(L)G, a form of gluatamate (very different than MSG used as a flavor enhancer) and it is such a tiny amount of the pharmaceutical MS(L)G, that even those allergic cannot detect it. I, too, have many allergies and am always scared about trying new pharmaceutical products, so I was relieved to learn that Amberen is not a drug. Also, the safety of all ingredients in Amberen is backed by toxicology studies and clinical trials. Personally, it was comforting to me seeing and reading the clinical trials on their website. My doctor was impressed with it and gave me the green light to order it. If you still feel weary about it, you should contact Amberen and speak with one of their nurses. Good luck!

Update: I can actually sleep through the night now (without waking up every other hour) and I have energy throughout the day..It's awesome!