Has anyone tried aromatherapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Goldenlight, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Hi all,

I took a class and have been reading about aromatherapy. Wondered if any of you have tried using essential oils for symptoms. For the most part they are very safe with the exception of a few oils if you are pregnant, nursing or have high blood pressure. Many of us are very chemically sensitive and using pure essential oils do not cause problems that a scented product will. Anyway, for example, there are good oils to use for feelings of calmness and well being, muscle aches, headaches, etc. They can be inhaled, put in a bath, used in a compress, etc. If you are interested you can Google aromatherapy and find a wealth of information. Oils and accesories can be ordered online or found in health food stores. I am still experimenting on various "recipes" but am impressed so far that they do help. Its another of those things we can learn about and try on our own. Costs are fairly minimal unless you choose some really expensive oils but even then we are talking about a few drops. Usually the oils are diluted in a carrier oil so one bottle of essential oil goes a long ways.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback. Has anyone tried it? What has helped? Etc.

Goldenlight
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

I had not even considered doing this as I've noticed over the past year (and just diagnosed with CFS/FM last fall after a major crash) that I cannot handle smelling other people's perfumes/colognes or the scented plug in things in my house. It causes my head to spin and makes me feel horrible!

But, are you saying that the essential oils won't have this effect??? I'd be interested in trying it if it won't. Hope someone else will respond that's tried it and tell us what works.

I'm looking into reflexology myself to try to alleviate some of my stress and pain. My 16-year-old daughter also came down with acute mononucleosis about 6 weeks after my crash (interesting). She's had identical symptoms to mine. I showed "chronic/reactivated Epstein Barr" at that time. She does better than I do, but I think it's cause she is 30 years younger!!! But she has collapsed at school, sleeps through many of her classes, has to lie down for a 2 to 3-hour nap when she gets home, had to completely drop out of her dance classes, etc. This has been going on since September last year. If I can get up the energy, I try to give her a rub down best I can at night before she goes back to sleep.

We've been told at this point that she would have to also receive a diagnosis of CFS since the mono should have ran its course by now and her recent labs showed only "old infection"...holy cow!!! Anyhow, point is that I thought the reflexology might help both of us!

TerryS
  3. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

The class I took and the reading I've done say that people who are sensitive to smells can tolerate pure essential oils. They are not chemically made in a lab and those chemicals are what irritates most of us. I have a lot of sensitivities to smells but have not had any problems with any of the oils I've used. You just have to be careful you are using pure essential oils and don't go for something that is "lavendar scented", for example. You can read about it on many websites if you put in "aromatherapy" into Google. This is just what I've learned and what my experience has been. It really does help alleviate some symptoms. I'm looking into learning and trying more.

Reflexology is great, too!
  4. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

"An allergic reaction to pure essential oils however rare, and in many cases it has been found that most people are more prone to be allergic to synthetic copies of natural essential oils.

Sensitivity to a particular constituent of an essential oil may happen, and prolonged and extensive exposure to the same oil can also cause sensitivity in certain individuals.

For this reason people are advised not to use the same essential oil for extended periods of time, but to rather use different oils.

Should you be using essential oils for the first time, and are worried about an allergic reaction, a skin patch test should be performed, and all other safety precautions should also be viewed and adhered to."

5. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

My opinion: I think there are things to be aware of with everything you use. For the most part though, aromatherapy is safe for most people. Probably a lot, lot safer than many other things we are doing to feel better.

Goldenlight
  6. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

These wonderful little bottles are a big part of my medicine chest.
    Lemon Myrtle oil is antifungal, and antiviral. If I keep a bit on a tissue and inhale this in public spaces I remain virus free.
    I love lavendar, rosemary,rose and chamomile.
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Be careful. If the oils are concentrated then so are the pesticides that are used to kill bugs. I have MCS and found out from personal experience that some plant terpenes can be very dangerous.
  8. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Ethically distilled essential oils should not be coming from plants that have had pesticides used on them. It is important to know the integrity of the company you are getting the essential oils from. There are many that have high standards. Woofmom, you are right. If the company is harvesting from sprayed plants then the toxicity would be very concentrated. You do not want to buy that quality of oil.
  9. TerryS

TerryS Member

So, Goldenlight, where does one get pure essential oils??? Is this something I can find locally, or will I have to go through the internet?

TerryS
  10. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Well, if you have a health food or herbal store in your area I'd ask them about the brands they carry. Otherwise, Google "ethically produced essential oils" and you'll come up with companies who carry pure essential oils -- ones without pesticides or chemical additives. I think there are more good quality oils available than not but it is always worthwhile be an informed consumer. Hope this helps.

Goldenlight
  11. woofmom

woofmom New Member

People with MCS have to be very careful with plant terpenes which I believe is the oil of the plant. Even if it is "clean". I didn't believe this. A couple of months ago I decided to see for myself. BIG MISTAKE. I broke one little leaf off my rosemary bush, broke it in half, took a whiff and had an immediate reaction. I can eat it and be fine. I just can't inhale it. Not being able to smell certain oils is another symptom of MCS. If I'm not mistaken, pine, lavender and rosemary are the worst. Weird, huh?
  12. TerryS

TerryS Member

Dang!!! I LOVE the smell of pine!

TerryS
  13. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Pine may not bother you. I don't know. Or one day you can smell it and be fine. Then the next time you may have a severe reaction to it. But, after the way I reacted to rosemary, I'm not willing to risk it. Who knows? I may be okay now. I've gotten a ton better lately.