Has anyone tried B Vitamins by IV?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by golubs, Jun 5, 2003.

1. golubs

golubs New Member

My boyfriends pain dr has just started him on a cocktail of B vitamins by IV twice a week for 8 weeks. He has been in moderate to severe pain for the last 6 months (not helped by the stress of being laid off while on leave of absence for a bad FM period!) He is also on klonopin and actiq "lollypops" (main ingredient fentanyl). Has anyone else tried this IV approach?
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Sorry, I only tried B-12 injections, not a cocktail. I think it was for energy, not for pain, and it didn't work for me. Other people have had success though.

Anyway, was your boyfriend on medical leave when he was laid off? I think it's a federal law, or maybe it's state by state. He should call your state's Bureau of Labor and find out. Then he might want to file a complaint or find a lawyer to do it. (I paid a lawyer $250 to file the claim--I could have written the stupid letter. But then the lawyer negotiated with the employer's lawyers in the settlement.)

If you have any questions, you can email me at: evp@goesp.com
  3. golubs

golubs New Member

Yes, he was on FMLA, and yes there is a law that protects employees while on FMLA. But a company can STILL lay a person off if the reason for the layoff is not related to the leave. We may fight away since he was the only one in his unit to be laid off.
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

If you file a complaint, BOLI (Bureau of Labor) investigates including talking to employees, etc. I don't know what all it entailed, as I couldn't afford a copy of the report when the investigation was done. I do remember it took about 6 months from their receipt of the letter to their investigation.

The lawyer guy wanted names of anyone I'd worked with, but BOLI was only interested in people who were there at the time of the layoff. FMLA is supposed to guarantee a job of commensurate pay when the leave is over, even if it can't give you your former job back.

Hope you win, and hope someone can answer your injection question! :)
  5. pamj

pamj New Member

I get the IV treatments weekly, and I've been doing it for about 1 1/2 years. They definitely help me, and I noticed it after my first couple of visits. My "cocktail" ingredients include B vitamins, magnesium, vit C, zinc, and many others, with some homeopathic meds in a full size IV fluid bag over the course of about 2 hours. After that, I follow up with a large syringe of glutathione. I guess you can't mix the glutathione with some of the other stuff.

One of the best things about it is that it makes most people feel relaxed, physically & mentally. I usually go home & have a great nap the day of my treatments. I know that especially the magnesium helps the pain.

Do you know if he's having anything else besides the B vitamins? I know that there are different approaches to the IV treatments. Some docs make a type of "cocktail" that only fills a large syringe and takes only 20 minutes to administer. I started off with that type of treatment, but I seem to do much better with current treatment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

take care,
    Pam
  6. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Many years ago I had this B vitamin IV therapy every few months. It's a very good treatment if he is weak and run down. The trick to it is to slow the IV down - the slower its given the better, not how much. That's why many people don't have results with the fast injections, it doesn't stay in the blood stream long enough. Studies show if a person is in the hospital they can cut their stay in half with a B Vitamin IV.
    This is not going to cure him, but it will really help temporarily. When and where did his pain start are questions he needs to find out for real relief.