Has anyone tried Bare Minerals makeup?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Apr 29, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I was up very early this morning, because I couldn't sleep, and I saw an infomercial about Bare Minerals makeup.

They made it look pretty good. I don't wear any makeup, except for a little bit of undereye concealer to hide those giant black bags I'm packing. If I'm going out somewhere (every 6 months), I will also throw on some mascara. But that's about it.

So I don't have a very high level of commitment when it comes to makeup. But as age takes it toll, I'd like to look a little better--or at least not quite so haggy.

Has anyone tried it? Is it any good? Can you only buy it online or by phone? Is it a "club" where they send it to you automatically every two months?

It said it was two easy payments of 29.99. (Don't you love how it's always "easy" payments??!). How long does this amount last and is it worth it?

Thanks for any info!
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

It's not worth the cost and the hassle of trying to find it. You can get it online, in a few stores and in their own store in Mall of America.

I bouught the package from my gal who does waxing. I din't like to color, coverage or texture. Went back to MAC and Estee Lauder. Wasted my $60!

That is my opinion only.

3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I ordered this a few months ago and have been using it since...I love it!!! it is a club but you can ask not to be in the club. The first kit is a small one just so that you can try it out and see if this is something you like and then from there on the Jars are larger. I don't wear alot of make up except for eye liner, and mascara. it is great and the CD walks you thru it step by step.

give it a shot if you don't like it you can cancell it and get you money back...I believe you have it to try for 30 days.

Love to all, Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]
  4. MarisaF

MarisaF New Member

I bought the loose powder and makeup brush at Sephora.com. You can buy everything seperately...no "club". Loose powder is $25.00. I have very uneven skin tone and some acne scars and the Bare Minerals covers it very well. I do like the product and will buy it again when I run out. The powder will last quite a while, you use very little. That was the hardest thing...not to use too much. Be sure and use a brush and tap off any excess.
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the make up. I might dig it out of the grab bag and give it another try!

6. victoria

victoria New Member

a friend and I tried it at a store that carried at and all types of makeup.... the saleswoman made us up... we found we had wrinkles we didn't know we had, and it sort of burned on our faces. Maybe there was too much? Altho it didn't seem like she used much on us.

And it was weird that we both felt that it sort of burned. Once we mentioned it the saleswoman confided she felt the same.

I don't know, if I could try it somewhere else again for free, maybe I would, since so many seem to like it. Maybe she did it wrong/too much, or something?!?

7. MarisaF

MarisaF New Member

That is really strange. It has worked fine for me. Although I know you have to only use a little and a brush is best to put it on with. I guess I'm lucky that it has worked for me!
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've tried all of the brands and find them to be pretty much alike. However, for the cost, the brand Neutrogena "Mineral Sheers" is the best.

Mineral makeup doesn't provide total coverage, but does a great job. I've found it helpful for my "butterfly" rash.

The Neutrogena brand comes with the powder behind a brush in a single unit so there's no chance of spill. Just pull the brush head out, tap it a bit, and brush it on. I use it all over and find it also does a good enough job on my dark circles.

If you want a total type of cover, mineral makeup isn't for you. The Mineral Sheers is the best though of all mineral makeup.

Just my opinion.

9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for all your responses! Very good information!

I guess right now I'm leaning toward the Neutrogena. It sounds much less expensive, and I know I tolerate Neutrogena well.

It sounds like mixed reviews on the Bare Minerals so far. Interesting that some love it and some had a burning reaction. Hmmm....

Any more input is welcome!
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have been using it for almost a year and a half. My skin was feeling very greasy after a long day at work and this makeup feels so much better than regular foundation. I love the mineral veil as well.

If you are the type of person who doesm't like the feel of makeup or who doesn't ususally wear it, this stuff is worth a try.

The makeup is expensive, but it lasts a long time. I am still using the second batch I got and i'ts been a year and half. But I don't use it everyday because I don't go out everyday and work part time.

11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I bought some mineral powder makeup from Avon, and i liked the color, and the way it felt on was fine and it dose even out my red nose.

But i felt it showed all my beginning wrinkles off.:0(

I thought maybe the avon was a cheap brand? Or maybe i used too much?

I just bought some bronze powder by, physicians formula, And it seems to bring out those fine lines around my eyes also.

12. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

My wife has it coming automatically every month :(

Ha ha ha. But she looks purty good :)

13. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Andy, how many men know how often their wife buys make up, let alone WHAT BRAND??? I want a man just like you!

And I love the pic of the peonie and ant.

[This Message was Edited on 04/30/2007]
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I've been thinking of trying it for a long time but am waiting until the next time I can get to Pennys. They do have it now.

I use a Mac powder foundation. You put your moisterizer on and then the powder and it kind of melts into the moisterizer and doesn't show any lines.

Mac is actually a line for younger women, but I like the way it makes my face look. My 23 year old introduced me to it about 2 years ago and I am still using the same compact I bought then!

I'm 53 and this doesn't emphasize the wrinkles at all!

Choose joy!
  15. budmickl

budmickl New Member

MAC has wonderful eye, lips and cheek color. I use their powder and foundation because I bought it. Once it is gone, I have been told that Lancome has a wonderful base to use.

I use Estee Lauder soap, cleanser, moisturizer, etc. I was told by MAC consultants that they also use Estee Lauder. MAC is owned by Estee Lauder.

I have tried the MAC mascara - all formulas. Again, when I explained to the consultant in the store that it just doesn't work on me, she said she didn't use it either.

I think the secret is to try the different brands until you find what you are happy with. I used to think I had to use all MAC or Estee Lauder or Clinque. But mix and match is the best way to go.

Oh yeah, I was asking MAC about their microdermo abrasion product. I had been using Estee but it was so expensive. She suggested Oil of Olay from Wal-Marts. It is wonderful!

Keep up the dialog. It's great to be able to discuss these topics without feeling pressure to buy anything.

16. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Twin Ma and All,

I'd love to know how much Neutrogena's version is? I've always loved Neutrogena's products---they're great on the skin.

I have Loreal's version, which is "Bare Naturale". I got it at my grocery for $12.50. At the time, it was the only over the counter bare minerals make up. I got it only a few months ago. It has pros and cons.

Pros: 1. It matches my skin PERFECTLY!! 2. It's VERY light. 3. Like all bare mineral products, they are very heat tolerant.

Cons: 1. Although it's priced much better than the home shopping versions, I feel like I'm using it up much faster than the makeup woman at the grocery said I would, and I am very careful not to use much.

2. You have to get the powder out in an odd way---you have to turn the container on the side and gently shake the powder out. Therefore, it's easy to lose some of the powder if you're not careful.

3. Therefore, It seems like Loreal could have designed the packaging much better.

Hugs to all,

17. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I use the Mac eye shadows, too. I have to be really careful because they really aren't geared to women my age and I have to be careful not to put it on too heavy! My 23 year old uses their makeup and looks great in the really bright colors.

I use Loreal mascara. Lashout. Didn't like the Mac or Estee Lauder ones. When I use blush I use an EL one and my lipstick, which I almost never put on, is also EL. Use to use Lancome, but I like the EL and Mac better.

I wash and moisterize with Neutragena.

I knew Mac was owned by Estee Lauder. I think they came out with it because a lot of the younger gals think of Estee as their mom's makeup!

The gal at Mac told me they keep the prices down by not advertising or doing the free gift promotions.

Anyway, it is fun to find out what everyone likes. Kind of like trying each other's makeup at a slumber party! (Mom had a fit when we shared!!)

Choose Joy!
  18. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Wow! I am so out of the loop makeup-wise! I never even heard of mineral makeup and it seems like it is made by several manufacturers--Bare Minerals, Neutrogena, Avon...

I looked on-line for Neutrogena Mineral Sheers and it goes for $12.99 at Walgreens. Not bad! At least it's not $60.

Do any of the JC Penney places give samples of the actual Bare Minerals brand? I'm big on trying samples (free is good).
  19. budmickl

budmickl New Member

MAC was orginialy created in Toronto for stage. Estee Lauder bought it in the late 1990's. I know Clingue is formulated for younger people, I didn't know MAC was. They have a lot older spokespeople.

Oh well, we have shared a ton of info here and I'm going to try your mascara. Still searching!

20. JLH

JLH New Member

I have never tried the Bare Minerals brand, but I now use the Jane Iredale brand of minerals makeup.

I have the powder minerals that is supposed to be the foundation, concealer, and powder all in one.

Now that I am retired, the only time that I put on makeup is when I go out someplace. I've had the same container of Jane Iredale for well over a year now and it is still have full!!!! LOL

It only takes a speck--I bought their big brush to apply it (around $15) and dip it into the minerals, tap them off the brush, and apply.

I have a lot of redness on my face (from my lupus) and it covers it really well.

I used to wear cream foundation that I applied with a sponge--in order to cover my redness. No more!!! I will never again use a liquid or cream foundation after finding out how well these minerals cover my redness.

Without the heavy foundation, my face always feels so clean and light!! No worry about messing up my makeup when outside perspiring from the heat!

I order the Jane Iredale off the web. That brand was recommended to me from someone off this board a couple years ago. I just did a google search for it, checked out each site that carried it, and ordered it from the cheapest site!!

I think you can get really cheap samples of just about any of these brands of minerals--maybe from ebay stores--can't really remember.

My makeup routine now takes me about 3 minutes or less! All I use is a moisturizer, the minerals, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow, and lipstick -- and presto! I'm done. I can no longer use mascara due to developing an allergy to it.