Has anyone tried clonidine to treat FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cladkins, Aug 29, 2008.

1. cladkins

cladkins New Member

I was wondering if anyone has taken cloidine to help with the pain of Fibromyalgia? I read that it can be effective and wanted some first hand testimonies to this. Also, if anyone has had great sucess with a certain med please pass that info on as well.
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have been prescribed something called clonidine for high blood pressure. Not sure if this is what you are talking about.

Anyway, I'll give you a bump.

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've been on clonidine for many years. It is the only drug that controls my high blood pressure, and it also enabled me to stop taking narcotics after tweleve years of needing them. Note: I made the mistake of stopping Darvocet cold turkey and got very, very sick. Do not do this, even if your doc says it's OK like mine did. Taper, taper, taper!

Clonidine has it's problems, however. For one thing, it causes a wicked high blood pressure rebound if you try to withdraw from it, or lower the dose. It also causes tolerance and my dosage has had to be increased twice now.

It can combine with narcotics, when you do need them, and cause dangerous respiratory depression. This was a problem for me when I had surgery last year, so I went without narcotics. Luckily, it was just gallbladder removal, which hurt far less than my daily fibro pain anyway.

My Neurologist told me she considers clonidine to be a "bad drug" and never prescribes it. For me, it has been a Godsend, since nothing else would keep my blood pressure down. This led my Cardiologist to say he thinks my high blood pressure is caused by my fibro/lyme, since the only drug that helps is a sympathetic nervous system supressor and anti-seizure drug like clonidine.

Speaking of supressing the sympathetic nervous system, clonidine is excellent at controlling overstimulation. It has many times prevented me from having panic attacks in noisy, crowded places or heavy traffic.

I hope this has not just confused you more. There are pros and cons as with any other drug. I would say it would probably be a bad choice if you have very low or even low normal blood pressure, since it is a very strong drug, but most docs would not give it to you anyway if your pressure was that low.