Has Anyone Tried Cupping?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, May 17, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hello, I went to an off-the-wall doctor yesterday, an alternative practitioner who does a number of unconventional things. He did something on me, I think it is called cupping, where they put small warm glass bottles on your back which are initially painful but then feel better. They leave odd marks on the back afterwards. If anyone knows anything about this, I would like to know more. Thank you.

Hippo
  2. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

did this on my son when we were struggling with his blood disorder. It is kinda like a non-invasive form of acupuncture. It works on your chi ... look into Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupunture for more info ... there are lots of sites. Hugs, Hayley

Cupping

Cupping is a technique that is especially useful in the treatment of problems of local qi, or blood stagnation in the channels, and is usually performed as an alternative to acupuncture.

The cups that are used are generally of rounded glass construction. The cups are warmed via a burning taper, held for a very short period of time inside the cup. The cup is then quickly placed over the selected area.

Due to the candle flame, all of the oxygen in the cup has been removed and when placed open side down, a vacuum is created, which anchors the cup to the skin and pulls the skin upward on the inside of the glass.

The resulting pressure encourages the flow of qi and blood in the area beneath the cup, and the local stagnation begins to clear.

It is imperative that this method only be performed by licensed practitioners, and even when performed correctly, can result in marking (non permanent) and bruises.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In the old days, according to my Mom, a bottle would be sterialized in boiling water and the mouth of the bottle placed over the boil while it was still hot but not hot enough to burn the skin. The vacuum would draw the pus out of the boil and into the bottle which helped to keep it from spreading.

Well, now that I've grossed y'all out, my work here is done. Tata!

Love, Mikie
  4. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

HA HA HA HA ROFLOL