Has anyone tried "Curves"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Aug 4, 2006.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

My daughter-in-law thinks I can do this for 30 minutes. Has anyone else tried?
  2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I don't know your situation, but you can go at your own pace. I just love Curves. I feel so much better. I have more energy and I have lost about 25lbs.

We are not all the same, but it did help me.

Jodi
  3. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

I joined in March 2005 and really loved it. Good things: Wonderful, helpful staff, you can usually pace yourself, (unless they are really busy) skip certain machines if you must, and in 30 minutes- you CAN really get your heartbeat going depending on how much effort you're able to put out. I always felt ENERGIZED after going there!

Not so good things: It's not good to go during a Flare, you must pay for the month whether you can make it there or not, you CAN hurt yourself on the machines (I damaged my elbows...) and eventually I found that I could actually do less and less there and not more and more.

I ended my membership about 2 months ago.

I have RA, OA, Fibromyalgia and a few other things to deal with. It might have just been not the right place for me.

Overall- I'd recommend it. They often have 6-week deals--better to sign up for a short stint and see how you manage before committing fully.

Good Luck!

Lulu
  4. twerp

twerp New Member

The first few days, I was a little overly enthusiastic and got my heart rate up too high. Was extra tired for the next couple of days. (I have CFS, not FM.)

Since then, I've been very low impact on the aerobic portions and am feeling much better.

I began going on my Dr's advice. He said it may help to reduce my anxiety/stress levels, and it does seem to be helping.

It's worth a try. They let me go for one week without charge, just to see if I'd be able to do it.

I chose to pay month-to-month, which is a little more expensive, but I didn't want to sign up for a year's contract, not knowing how I'd do in the long term.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

With me, exercise always exacerbated the symptoms, but if I can work at my own pace, that's better.
  6. jess

jess New Member

HI, I am a member of Curves. I had 3 good weeks but I over did it so I had a flare.I amgoing to try again. If you work at a slow pace and even 8 minutes on 4 minutes for rest it should be ok. I have CFS so have to be careful. I did have muscle soreness though. I really do love it and especially working out and talking with people. I am so isolated and this is really social for me. YOu can do a a trial. Jess
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

I went for a year and few months and then had a relapse and stopped going.

I found I could go at my own pace. I used the machines for building my muscles and didn't worry about the aerobic effect, altho I got that effect also.

After awhile, any exercise has dimishing returns for the effort because the muscles get used to the routine, so I started doing pilates (videotapes) at home. So when I do start exercising again, I'll be adding to my walks and doing pilates. That way, I save on gas & fees, can vary the exercise as needed, and it's convenient for me.

But I do recommend Curves for a year or two, until it becomes too routine for your muscles.
  8. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Then I gradually worked my way up. I'm still not fast as I would like to be.

The staff will help you get started and will probably tell you to take it easy. Be sure to tell them you have FM if you do.

Are you going with your daughter-in-law? That is more fun also.

I go with my daughter and we have more fun.

Jodi
  9. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

She lives what we call here, "north of the mountain" and I live South. She goes after work and so will I, hopefully, if I am still motivated.