Has anyone tried Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springshower, Jan 6, 2007.

1. springshower

springshower New Member

Hi All......My Dr. suggested I try Cymbalta to help my Fibro. symptoms....I would like to know if it helped you & If you had any problems with side effects.....I have mitral valve prolapse & have palpitations from some medications or stimulents.....any input will be helpful.......Thanks
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It raises both the levels of serotonin (SSRI) and Norepiniphrine (SNRI). It does help some ppl with pain. FOr side effects, go to their website. Just google Cymbalta.

My son used Cymbalta, he couldn't stand the sweating side effect.

My mom [71] has FM and has had great success with Systemic Enzymes. She takes 6 tabs/day. Enzymes are non-toxic and are systemic if taken on an empty stomach.

3. Mwitherite

Mwitherite New Member

Before they found out what the problem was they had me on several different antideps, paxil , prozac, not at the same time of course, cymbalta is okay stuff. there is the sweating side effect, no doubt, but i mainly get that at night. I also noticed a yawning thing, so i take it at supper rather than breakfast and that helped. I also just had Doc reduce from 60mg daily to 30mg. Not sure about the effects of the reduction on side effects, just reduced it yesterday.

It is different from the norm antideps tho'
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have been on it for 2 years. It has been/is very helpful in managing my symptoms.
  5. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

I recently tried to come off because of symptoms that were linked to Cymbalta and closely connected the time I started with it about two years ago (crying, exhaustion, depression, suicidal thoughts etc)
    I have been trying so many different medicines it is hard to link anything. But I never thought it was Cymbalta because the drs were so pro-cymbalta for Fybro and seemed to think it was the same as the Prozac.
    But the withdrawals are bad and there was no real time for studies on those. I wish I had stuck with meds that stood the test of time and I knew what withdrawals were from it.
    I guess my dr was getting paid to push the new med and it was specially for Fybro so wanted me on it. You have to trust someone
    Just something to think about. Google withdrawals and Cymbalta
    steph in CT
  6. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I agree you can get into trouble going off of anti-depressant. This needs to be a very slow process slowly tapering down the dosage you are taking.
  7. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I have been on Cymbalta for 4 months now. I started with 60mg at pm and now also take 60mg in am. I do not have depression. What the Cymbalta has helped me the most for is relaxing my tender points.

I agree with Sharon, it has been a Godsend for me also. I can actually say the pain meds I am on are not as effective for me as the Cymbalta.

There are days I get especially tired. Is it from the Cymbalta? I am not sure. It could be more CFS than anything else along with my FM.

I do know there were a couple times I did not take it because I wanted to see if I was more active without it...the withdrawals were awful. I felt like my life was more like watching a movie than real life. Not sure how to exactly explain, but I definitely would start out at a low dosage just to see. I am on the max they recommend at this point for FM. I tolerate most meds very well.

I too also have mitral valve prolapse to the point where sometimes it feels like my heart turns over in my chest. (My husband has actually felt my heart when it did the flutters.) Since on the Cymbalta it seems to have relaxed me enough where I do not seem to have as much problems with my MVP.

I hope this helps.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been on it for close to 2 years now. It is GREAT!

I switched from Prozac to it. No side effects except that when I worked my way up to 60 mg, it made me awfully sleepy all day, so now my doc writes the script for 30 mg capsules, and to take one in the AM and one in the PM. That works much better!!!! No drowsiness now!

It does help on my fibro pain. I also take Neurotin which helps on my pain, too. I have a neighbor who swears by Lyrica for her pain.

I have heart problems, too, (see bio) but the Cymbalta hasn't bothered them. You might want to call your Cardiologist and ask his opinion on you taking it.

Hugs,
    jlh
  9. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I had a paradoxical effect from it...I worked great for the pain, but it wired me, and flipped the xanax that I was taking...was awake 5 days from that mess!

Everyone is different, It may be great for you...the only way to know it to try it for yourself.

Suz
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

MANY Meds I can not take.Cymbalta and myself are doing fine though.

It does not take away all of my pain, but it does the sharp edge of it away and I am elated over that much. I take a 60mg every day.

Susan
  11. Dnette40

Dnette40 New Member

When I was first diagnosed with FM, I was put on Cymbalta.WOW I couldn't believe it the pain was gone!!! in only a couple of days. Unfortuneately, my depression worsened. We are now tring to find a suitable combination to treat both the pain and the depression/anxiety.

I also thought it was the Cymbalta bothering my stomache, but since off, stomache problems have remained. This is such a strange disease, who would of thought that, morning sickness, and hightened sense of smell would be related to not being able to wear shoes or certain facbrics. I thought I was so wierd because I had all these wierd quirks, until I found a board like this one and discovered I was not alone.
  12. twitcher

twitcher New Member

It did nothing for me except give me nausea. My neuro symptoms and pain were unchanged. I was on only 30mg daily. There was no way I was going up on the dose since 30mg gave me side-effects.
  13. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi springshower. I definately recommend cymbalta for pain. It did cause tiredness for about a month and I tried to go to 60mg and it made my head too spacey.
    I have noticed heart palpitations on this medication, as far as I know I have a healthy heart and this is very annoying sometimes but the pain relief is worth the annoyance.
    Best wishes, Nanna
  14. martini12

martini12 New Member

so far i think cymbalta is a big help...i feel so much better and i can walk better and work better and overall that relieves my saddness and frustrations.
    i use 60 mgs one time a day...and like many here it is a godsend
    i did notice some heart palpitations..but the vapors as they used to be called hav been in my family for generations...real heart issuues for women have another way of making them sefl known.....stiff crick in the neck for example ..or pain in jaw...not traditional way men do with left arm pain..so i am proceeding full speed ahead with walking and enjouying life more with cymbalta...[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2007]
  15. springshower

springshower New Member

I want to thank everyone for their info on the subject of Cymbalta.....it is a big help ,I can now make a more informed decision.....I always get so much good info from the great people on this message board.....Hugs,Springshower
  16. nattygan

nattygan New Member

Cymbalta is the only prescription i am taking outside of occasional pain meds. I have been on 30 to 60mg a day for a year now, and it really does help with the shooting pain in my right arm. I have tried going off it, i am generally opposed to prescription meds, and the pain and numbness and tingling came back. I only had nausea in the beginning, short lived though! I would recommend trying it!