Has anyone tried Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MichaelasMum, Oct 2, 2005.

1. MichaelasMum

MichaelasMum New Member

My Doctor has put me on Effexor, I started it Friday. I have to say I'm not feeling to great on it...I know it takes a while to start working. I was just wondering if anyone else has had success on this medication.

Thanks,
    Ann
  2. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

Everyone reacts differently to medicines. Personally i had a horrible experience on effexor, but many people on the board swear by it. All i can say is give it a chance & if your still feeling horrible after a few weeks talk to you doctor & possibly try something different. I'm on celexa & elavil at this time & doing much better.

Dee
  3. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

and also had a bad reaction. I had shortness of breath and tight chest and it also affected my liver. I was on it maybe three months.
  4. jegleston

jegleston New Member

Hi Ann,

I have taken Effexor XR for almost 5 months. It took three months before I noticed any benefit. It has helped me with less intense and fewer muscle pains, twitches and cramps. I haven't had a migraine for a couple of months. My doctor is still adjusting dosage so more relief maybe comming. So far it hasn't done much for my fatigue or stiffness. I still have some chronic pain, but it seems a little better too.

I hope that you have a good experience with it. Be patient, I nearly gave up on it before it had a chance to work.

JW

5. whit283

whit283 New Member

I tried it for a few months with NO good response whatsoever. It put me into a pretty bad relapse that took a month to get over. I hope you have better luck....Whit
  6. MKlady

MKlady New Member

I tried Cymbalta and hated it. The Effexor is better. It's about equivalent to Zoloft, which I took for years, but my doctor says its actually better for FMS so I'm sticking with Effexor.
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but I went off of it for the sexual side effects. Celexa made really depressed. I'm not on any right now, but wondering if maybe is should. I'm not doing to good right now.
  8. zerped

zerped New Member

I tried Effexor after taking Welbutron for a while, and didn't like it as much. It was fairly good for my depression, but had the aforementioned "sexual side effects" with me BIG time. Also, it didn't help me with my ADD the was Welbutron has. I also had weird side effects with Effexor. I remember being real jittery and nervous. Every med hits some people the wrong way, so once you make your decision, go for it (or not). The good news is you can do a 180degree turn any time.

9. angeldust

angeldust New Member

Took Effexor XR for about 15 months. It took several months before I started to benefit and at first felt worse on it..really sleepy during the day, difficulty sleeping, lots of twitching. It worth sticking with though because after a few months I started sleeping really well, all aches and pains had gone. Eventually I had to stop taking it as it was making my anxiety worse. Now take Lustral/Zoloft.
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

anti-depressants for about 25 years, Effexor for the last several years. They all work for me. That is, I am better but not cured. I have never had any side effects except w/ prozac which put my sex drive in park.

Hope the Effexor works for you.
  11. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I don't know if anyone here suffers from Restless Legs Syndrome like I do, most people with FM do.

I found the effexor made my legs 10 times worse.

Take care
    Gayl