Has anyone tried following Dr. Atkins diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Myst, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Myst

Myst New Member

With the diet the Amish Dr. told me to follow it came fairly close to being like Dr. Atkins.I know I can't exercise like a used to.But, there has to be a way to take off this weight.It is just adding more strain & pain,& low self essteem to everything else we go through.Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  2. Myst

Myst New Member

With the diet the Amish Dr. told me to follow it came fairly close to being like Dr. Atkins.I know I can't exercise like a used to.But, there has to be a way to take off this weight.It is just adding more strain & pain,& low self essteem to everything else we go through.Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  3. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

and although it does help you lose alot of weight you must really like meat, for me this diet is really bland. My husband does seem to like it though.
    God Bless
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You just have to remember that after you lose all the weight you need to....you can't go back to eating excessive amounts of all the wrong stuff!

My sister lost 108 lbs on this diet, brother-in-law lost 30, I lose extra pound anytime I want to on this diet. It's a fairly easy diet because you never go hungry, you get to eat all you want.

Marilyn :)
  5. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

I will have to try this diet. I have heard of it before. One of the guys I work with was on it and said he lost almost 100 lbs! Now to maintain, if he binges, he will just jump back on it for a week. My problem is, I crave the carbs... however, I am to the point I need to lose 40 lbs, so Dr. Atkins, here I come.

We should all try it together and kind of keep track of each other's progress...maybe it would be easier to stay on it with support for this also. :)

Hugs,
    Sim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  6. monom

monom Member

What is Dr.Atkins diet.

Thank you for advice.[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  7. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

Welcome! I haven't been checking the board much lately but see you had gone to an Amish Dr. this is very interesting. Where do you live? I am very interested in the Amish and go to Holmes County a few times a yr. with my husband. Did you find him knowledgable in fibro?? I know they have many books out mostly on natural treatments and diets. Have you ever noticed you dont see many overweight Amish people. Of course they walk so much and are such hard workers. I too want to try the Atkins diet but it seems so restricting, but I know you can lose weight pretty fast.
    BonnieQ
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

The Adkins does work very well. My husband lost 60 pds on it and he feels so much better when he eats that way.
    I`m not that much of a meat eater so I never manage to stay
    on it very long. Good luck with it if you decide to try it!
  9. magic

magic New Member

this monday.Ihave to do the 14 days induction to the diet and then take it from there.Iam finding the breakfasts difficult,any help please.
  10. achy

achy New Member

As long as you stick to it it works great. We went so far as using the keto testing strips..I even found snak recipes "chocolate mousse" that were great!
    But, if & when you get off the diet the weight comes back...double. I have just seent his happen to two other ppl I know.
    Also, you MUST take suppliments...get the book, read it, read it again & search the web for some great recipes.
    Good luck
    Achy
  11. kay

kay New Member

for about 6 month and lost ALOT!! That was 2 yrs. ago. MAJIC, YOU can eat for breakfast all the eggs you want any way you want them. All the bacon, ham, sausage etc. (meats). I use to eat egg omletes(SP) with all the cheese and goodies in it. During the day, I would snack on peanuts, cut up cheese, sugar free jello, with whip cream on it!! Just watch your carbs. I got up into ketoses fast.I do need to get back on it. Once you get off it is is hard to get back on it. The worst thing is giving up my pepsi again. Hey I did once and I can do it again, :)) I did feel SOOOOO much better when I was on it. NO SUGAR HIGHS and then Lows. The first time I ate something sweet, I was drained of energy. I mean wiped out totally OK I think I have talked myself into going back on it ha!!! YES--- you can loose but you cant cheat, because then it brings you out of ketoses!!! The least carbs you eat, the more you loose.Good luck!
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

will also allow you to lose weight and get your cholesterol down.
    I've been on it for 5 wks. and have lost almost 20 lbs. without being hungry.
    As for craving carbs... I used to diet by just giving up refined sugar. It was SO hard. On this diet, I gave up ALL high glycemic index foods, and believe it or not, it is much easier than just giving up sugar. Once your blood sugar stops going up and down on a roller coaster, the cravings go away. That means no bread, potatoes, carrots, corn, beets, pasta, juices, jams and of course, sugar. Because my diet allows whole fruits, I don't go into ketosis,and therefore, I don't have to worry about kidney damage.
    Klutzo
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This diet is very much like the Atkins diet except that it's easier to stay on and if you use her recipies, you will never think high protein diets are bland again. You can even have fruit if you do not eat it with anything else. When you reach your targeted weight, you can indulge in her lucious dessert recipes. There are three or four cookbooks out now.

I've lost 22 pounds fairly fast but have plateaued and for the life of me, cannot get the loss going again. My skin is still tightening back up, so I think my body's wisdom is just waiting so everything can catch up. I have 18 pounds to go.

Love, Mikie
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Your craving for carbs will diminish as you're on the Atkins diet for awhile. If you're anything like me, you'll have to REMIND yourself to eat!

15. roro

roro New Member

This is the first diet i have ever been able to live with. The problem with most people is they only think of induction when they think of atkins. Induction is only supposed to be two weeks.

Bland??? You are definitely doing it WRONG!!

I eat lots of vegetables, real dressings, mayo's cream sauces, and yummy desserts like cheesecake, fudge, homemade ice cream, truffles and other candy. It doesn thave to be a lot of meat. I love the snacks like cheese crisps, vegies and dip, or pork rinds and dip. I eat a lot of nuts and cheese for snacks. I eat a lot of fat, but its mostly the healthy fats, which our bodies need. Low fat is associated with diseases such as breats cancer (10 year nurse study) this is absolutely the most luxurious diet I have ever been on.

Now that I am on maintainance, I have one or two fruits a day, and once in a while I treat myself to carbs like the atkins bread, muffin, pancake, and brownie mixes, or a couple handfuls of popcorn (loaded with butter of course), or pasta. I just dont eat that stuff every day. My diet mostly consists of meat, vegies and fats for the basis, then I add other things as I want them.

In my opinion, I would rather eat carbs WITH fat once in a while when I want them, rather than eat them everyday without fat. I find somersize more restrictive in that respect. I also cant do the fruit on an empty stomach thing because it spikes my blood sugars.

If you crave carbs, then all the more reason to do a program liek atkins where you abstain from them to break the addiction.

If you want more info, there is a great support group for low carb dieters at lowcarbfriends. (the site doesnt sell anything, it is strictly for support)
  16. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

If you don't do the two week induction it won't work.
    Also, if you go back to your old eating habits (which usually happens unless you have a strong Will) you will gain back everything you lost and even Then some.
    Klutzo's Metabolic Typing Diet sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.
    And there is always "Weight Watchers"..........

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  17. Myst

Myst New Member

The amish Dr. was in Berne,In. He actually knew what was wrong with me before the Reg. Dr. did. There is also an Amish Dr. in Shipsewanan,In.They are both very good.They can look into your eyes & tell U what is wrong.
  18. Myst

Myst New Member

Try having the Atkins Breakfast bar.Creamy Cinnamon Bun!If U like eggs U can have all U want,right?
  19. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

This morning I had a lucious mushroom/green pepper/onion omlette with american and swiss cheese. Yesterday I had sausage links and two basted eggs. Tomorrow I will have bacon and eggs. It can get boring, but only if you let it. I would love to actually sit down to a big, gooey carmel roll, but I am addicted to sugar, so if I do that, I am OFF the wagon and it almost takes an act of God to get me back ON!! I feel better off starches and sugars, plus my mind is as clear as a bell. When I was eating processed foods, I always felt kind of dull-witted and was also down in the dumps alot. (watch it ladies!!) He he....

20. roro

roro New Member

Hot wings (sauce - franks hot sauce and butter) with celery sticks and real blue cheese dressing
    baby back ribs, made with my own BBQ sauce, with homemade cole slaw
    mock lasagna (recipe is on that site I mentioned above)
    casseroles with lots of cheese and vegies
    lobster dipped in butter
    cabbage sauteed in bacon grease topped with sour cream