Has anyone tried Kefir?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Prunella, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Hi,

I haven't been here in a while and I sure missed this friendly and helpful site. Daughter's computer was broken so I had to share with one more person. Plus, when she had colds, I didn't feel like touching those keys!

I was wondering if anyone had tried Kefir. It is a cultured milk drink. Like yogurt, but different. The brand I bought at my health food store is called Lifeway. It contains 10 live and active cultures. They are L. casei, L.lactis, L.acidophilus, L.plantarum, L.rhamnosus, B.bacterim longum, Leuconostoc cremoris, B.bacterium breve, S.diacetylactis, and S.florentinus. It does not contain S.Themophilus like yogurt does, which I read somewhere is not good for some people. I am wondering if these 10 are safe to take.

I have never been sure if probiotics agree with me or that they are safe to take. They seem to be because this drink has been around for a long time in eastern Europe. The people who started this company are originally from Russia (it says so on the bottle). I did taste kefir many, many years ago and did not like the taste, but I am willing to overlook that for any health benefits that could come from it.

So, before I take a sip I would like to hear from others. Thanks for your help.

One more comment, many of those 10 probiotics I never heard of so this is something different.
  2. chellchell

chellchell New Member

I haven't tried Kefir myself but I work for a Family Practice Doc that swears by it. Also, our receptionist drinks it religously and both state it is really good for you and is suppose to help your body clear away toxins. I'm trying to work up the nerve to try it also, it just looks really like a thick yogurt drink but the smell reminds me of buttermilk, which I never liked! Let us know what you think when you do try it.

Hugs!
  3. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Kefir is a food staple in Russia and Lifeway kefir actually tastes better than other brands. I personally hate the taste and I will not drink it if there is a gun to my head, but other people find it very enjoyable and can't live without it. Some people add sugar to it to make the drink more tolerable. It is very useful and healthy product, but do not expect miracles. It does not replace the need for taking good probiotic supplement. But I would definetely give kefir a try. There is no harm in it, but it definetely helps to restore intestinal flora.
    You have to drink kefir regularly for a very long time to feel the benefits. Interestingly, specially prepared kefir is distributed to infants in Russia, to help populate the intestines with healthy bacteria and very effectively prevent dysbiosis, allergies and infections.
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I can only applaud it. We have a similar stuff in Sweden that everybody loves, not as sour, and it is still one of the things I miss tremendously. It eliminates bad bacteria and gives you the right bacteria in your gutt. A very important process for our well being.
  5. Prunella

Prunella New Member

This board is great! Thanks for all the advice! Sounds encouraging. I have a busy weekend coming up, so I will wait till Monday to try it in case I have any reaction to it.

I bought cherry flavor hoping that would help. I am hoping to be able to switch to plain eventually.

Anyone else taking it or know about those interesting bacteria in it?
  6. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I have not tried it but someone I know who has cfs makes her own. She belongs to a group, the Demented Fermenters, that get together and make it and share recipes. She reckons that it helps her, especially re. digestion.

I was going to give it a go, but I did not like the taste of it. Also, I am an O blood type and it is not recommended for O blood type diets, if you follow such things as Eat for your Blood Type.