Has anyone tried Methadone for pain control?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joyegail, May 28, 2006.

1. joyegail

joyegail New Member

My Rheumy referred me to a pain management clinic, and that's what the doctor there has put me on. It has really helped, the only problem I was having was slight nausea, so he put me on Phenergan for that. Now I have almost no pain, and no nausea. The only pain I have is if I over do things. And I know my limits, so I am careful about that.

I think it's a little sad that I was excited to be able to actually clench my fist for the first time in five years, but when I take this medicine, I can. When I wake up in the morning, I can't, but within an hour of taking it, I can again. It's just amazing. Anyone else tried this or is it an unusual treatment? Was just curious.

Deb
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I have found methadone to be effective for pain control. My biggest problem with it seems to be biased healthcare people who have not treated me with respect.

Unfortunately, some of these people look down their nose and assume I am a drug addict with a 'disease that is all in my head'.

3. artseyone

artseyone New Member

My pain management nurse practioner put me on methadone 5mgs.last week.
    As of today I don't notice a thing...How long will it be before I notice an improvement in pain?
    Artseyone
  4. leubie

leubie New Member

hey deb, yes i have been on it for a year and has greatly improved my life and the things i can do-------although arter working 40 hours a week im still wiped out and do have pain--------but yes-----its helped greatly!!!!!!!take care-----------feep in toucg---------------LOVE TO ALL-------LAURA
  5. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Deb....I've been on Methadone, 10 mg, 2-3 times/day for about 6 months, and I have found it to be the most effective med for pain control. My pain doc put me on it, and although it definitely helps, it doesn't take away all of the pain by any means.

It has, though, made my life more normal. I'm careful not to take more than I need, but also try to stay ahead of the pain. She has authorized me to take it 3 times/day, but I rarely do. I just don't want to go up on the dose.

I'm glad that you have found some relief with it.

Blessings, Ann
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Yes, I am on it now. Like tibbiecow said, there are people that look down on you because of the type of med.

If it gives you relief, then I see no problem with it but that's my opinion. I do know that you can build up a tolerance to the med but that's probably with all meds.

I hope it continues to work for you.

BlueSky555
  7. patarogers123

patarogers123 New Member

I've been on methadone for pain for probably five years now. My neurologist put me on it after all the others quit working. I thank god for the medication and for an understanding doctor. I have fibro and migraines and if I didn't have the methadone, I'd be bedridden and miserable. I started at 20 mg. 3-4 times a day, was able to get down to 10 mg. 1-2 times a day, and have had some death in my family and much stress and am back up to 20 mg. 3 times a day. But that is not a lot of pain medication for someone that hurts all over there body all the time. I am so glad to hear of someone else that has been prescribed it. I have no side effects at all except a little constipation, but I can handle that. The methadone takes care of my pain, and if it really gets bad, and I'm having a migraine too, I take Imitrex for the migraine and Zanaflex (a new muscle relaxer and Zanex) to put me to sleep for a few hours. I hope more and more doctors will become open to the idea of giving it for chronic pain. It really has been a blessing for me. Thanks. patarogers123
  8. patarogers123

patarogers123 New Member

I artseyone. Pat here again. If you're not getting any relief with 5 mg., ask the nurse prac. to try 10 mg. That is the level I started at and was able to stay at for several years. Good luck. patarogers123
  9. Treca

Treca New Member

about a year and a half and it was the BEST pain med I was ever on. It was the only thing I took for pain and Lunesta for sleep.

This drug has a very bad rap because of SOOOO many people abusing this drug. It is very aggravating for people who take it that have very serious pain and have to fight to either have it or keep it.

The only reason I'm not on it now is because I wanted to try a few things that were not a strong narcotic. Though my doctor has a very clear understanding that if these different meds don't work or stop working that I will be going back to Methadone. I wouldn't even start the new ones until she agreed to it.

So stay on the Methadone if it's working so well for you. As long as you and your doctor talk to one another and be truthful about how the Methadone is affecting you then I think it is a great med to use. I always make it a point to be sometimes bluntly honest with my doctor so they know I'm giving them all the info they need from me.

I think that with a drug that has such a bad vibe with it, it will help you to be able to stay on it and I think your doctor will be more comfortable with prescribing it to you. If this med didn't have such bad things behind it then of course it wouldn't matter. So oh well ya deal with it because it works so well.

My doc has had me on Phenergan ever since I started pain meds because every once in awhile I need it and 15 mins later I'm perfectly fine.

So congrats to you on finding something that works so well for you. I will definitely be coming back to Methadone if I ever need to do so.

Good luck to you!!
    Treca
  10. freshair

freshair New Member

Methadone is a big secret,,,,,it is cheap (inexpensive) affordable than most pain meds. I joined yourxplan with my mom (non-medicare) where they give good discounts. My mom is on vicoden, retail was 50.00 and she ended up paying 15.00 (my mom could not believe the price). i think it costs 25.00 a year for the card. They also have a medicare prescription program,,,so be careful.

[ advertisement ]