Has anyone tried Savella?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clementyne, Dec 9, 2011.

1. clementyne

clementyne New Member

My Dr. just started me on this yesterday. I am taking 50mg twice daily. I have read some good & bad things about drug & I am hoping for good. Would be nice not to have so much pain.

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this drug.

2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

yes, I tried Savella two different times a year or two apart from each other. I did not have much luck with it. I have FM, btw.

You say you are taking 50 mg 2 X a day. Did you start with the 2 week titration pack? That starts you at 12.5 mg and you work up from there.

Savella caused my blood pressure to go up. It has always been low, but since my two tries at Savella, my bp is now consistently higher. It also caused me to have very uncomfortable bouts of flushing where my face and neck would get red and hot.

I really wanted Savella to work; I had high hopes that it would be the one to help me. I had already tried Cymbalta and Lyrica with no luck at all. But, sadly, it did not. We are all different, and I've heard that a lot of folks have had reduced pain and fatigue while taking Savella.

I hope you continue to have positive results,

3. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I just started yesterday so as of now I had one this morning & one last night. I got a one month supply of 60 pills.

I'm worried about the B.P. because I have had H.B.P. since I was in my 20's and very skinny. I already have that face flushing thing - it started when I 1st started menopause.

I have high hopes, also. We'll see how it goes. My Dr. said I should be able to tell in 2-3 weeks but to give it a month. I read that sleepiness is a side affect but I haven't had that yet so maybe this will be the thing that works for me!

Thanks so much for answering my post!

4. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

But alas, it made me really sick. I had hoped it would relieve some of my pain, but the nausea was just too much. I gave it two weeks, and after losing 10 pounds and getting dehydrated so much, decided it just wasn't worth it. But I'm type 2 diabetic and have liver disease, so my case might be completely different. All I know is that it didn't do a thing for pain, at least for me.
  5. mjj3

mjj3 New Member

I currently take savella and have for approximately a year. I tried cymbalta and had too many side effects. I currently am taking Lyrica 75 mg/bid or tid depending on the day I wasn't able to increase the Lyrica as made me too tired and I have 3 kids-6,8,10 to care for and work full-time. My doctor wanted to do a trial of savella. I did the titration pack and when I got to the 50 mg/bid I had a terrible amount of sweating. I guess that this is a side effect for this med. But I really liked the fact that it gave me increased energy and countered some of the sleepiness I was getting from Lyrica. It helped some with pain. My dr encouraged me to decrease the dose to 25 mg/bid I had flushing and was hot but no sweating at this dose. My body has gotten used to it and I have been able to work-up to the recommended 50 mg bid. for me the best thing of this med is increased energy and I have not had to increase my Lyrica and on good days take a smaller dose. Also, Lyrica was causing me to gain weight. I haven't gained anymore since starting Savella and have in fact lost some without trying much.
    good luck with it,