Has anyone tried Tai Chi ??????????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovabuga, Sep 3, 2003.

1. lovabuga

lovabuga New Member

I am interested in any input. Does it help relax your muscles? How flexible do you have to be.I saw a class offered at the senior center and thought it might help. i figured if it is offered to seniors maybe i could actually do it.Let me know what you think.

thanks, lovabuga
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I am a senior also, and, although I never was able to do Tai Chi (I have bad knees and cannot twist), I did do Chi Gung, which is slower and has more frontal positions. However, why don't you try it and if you find that it is too difficult (like if you have bad knees), any good instructor will let you do the upper body movements sitting. It does build strength and flexibility. You do not have to be really flexible to start. I stimulates serenity and power at the same time. It gives one confidence, also. There has to be a reason that so many Chinese people live heathily for such a long time. They say that almost everyone does some form of this kind of exercise, and the elders, especially. If you are unsure, why don't you ask to visit a class to try it out? Our rec. center will refund money within a ceertain amount of time. Maybe yours will, too. Good luck. Have fun. Terry
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do Tai Chi and find it helps physically, mentally, and spiritually. I do a form which was created by a Master and is different from the typical Tai Chi. Mine is like prayer set to movement and employs calling on elements of the earth, wind, fire, and water. It's a real spiritual experience. Done in the morning, it can set the tone for the whole day.

It is much easier to meditate just after doing my Tai Chi.

Love, Mikie
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Love it, do it every morning, opens all the joints and gets your blood moving. I bought a tape on Tai Chi with David Carradine, watched several times then decided just to do the set called "Opening the Gates". I do have knee problems but am able to do these. I do 4 reps of each of the 7 stances. I have been up to 7 and have been able to do as few as 2 but I always do them. Otherwise I don't think I'd be able to get moving in the mornings.

Good luck (I am 51 and have been tai chiing for several years).
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

just curious, what form of Tai Chi do you do?? Is it available on video?

Thanks, Victoria

(Hope you're feeling better!)
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your good wishes.

I was taught this form in a day-long workshop by a devotee of the Master who designed the moves, so as far as I know, it is not on tape. It had no specific name at the time--this was seven or eight years ago.

Love, Mikie