Has anyone tried Tapentadol (Nucynta) for FM Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Aug 23, 2009.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

Tapentadol (Nucynta) acts in two ways, opioid (narcotic) and non-opioid. It affects the brain and body primarily by activating opioid receptors in the brain, spinal cord and gastrointestinal tract. In addition, Tapentadol inhibits the reuptake of the brain chemical norepinephrine which possibly has an analgesic effect.

I was told that this new(er) opioid had less side affects like constipation.

Once I get pre-approval from insurance, I'm hoping it will help with my widespread muscle(?) pain.

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2009]
  2. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

Yes, I would also like to hear from someone who has tried Nucynta. From its website info, it sounds like it might be something a little different. Yes, it's expensive because it doesn't have a generic yet, but if it works better than what I'm taking, I sure would like to try it at least for a week. The next time I see my doctor, I'll see if he has a coupon, as he sometimes does for new meds that the reps are pushing.

This is from the website, and I'd like to see if the different mechanisms of delivery make it work any better than other meds I've tried.

NUCYNTAâ„¢ combines opioid and nonopioid activity in one centrally acting oral analgesic.

Mu-Opioid Agonist*

Ascending Pathways

Work primarily on ascending pathways to inhibit transmission of pain impulses
    through binding to mu-opioid receptors

Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor*

Descending Pathways

Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition works primarily on the descending pathways
    to enhance the inhibition of pain signaling
  3. Dfelpsjr

Dfelpsjr New Member

I have been on Nucynta now for awhile. I am also on Opana ER and dilaudid. I am on reasonably large doses though I have been on various opioid therapys since 1999 and very tolerant to most all opioid medications. I am now 33 years old and have been recently been put on the Nucynta as the dilaudid alone was not working well alone for breakthrough pain. The Nucynta really has helped and I haven't developed a tolerance like I usually do to most other traditional single opaite type meds such as morphine oxy and demerol. I am pleased with this med, though higher doses I don't really like the feeling > ( is a little to "euphoric" ) which is odd for me to say. I would suggest it be tried you may have to adjust your own dose as I did. The dosage I was prescribed was a little to much for me so it gives me a little room to work. What have others experienced with this med?
  4. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Can you tell me who the manufacturer is for this drug?

5. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

My doctor gave me a Nucynta Savings Card and with that and your insurance co-pay, you don't pay over $25 and it's good for up to $100. That's enough to see if it will work for you. It will NOT work with Medicare, Medicaid or any other federally funded program. Also, it is really tricky because you do NOT bill it through your insurance like your regular scrips. It has it's own RxBIN, RxPCN, RxGRP and eack card has a specific ID number, which bills McKesson directly. Luckily, I have a very patient pharmacy! I don't know if it will work for me or not, because everything else has failed so far and the most I can get is token relief. And, of course, EVERYTHING is based on my liver disease. Ratz!
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I think I researched this earlier this year and came to conclusion it workson same neurotransmittors as Tramadol/ultram pretty much----which I couldnt tolerate as it has similar properties as antidepressant/ssri/snri and anything that utilizes CYP-2D6 heavily I cannot break down properly.

anyone in the know if this is true? nucynata=souped version of ultram?

sort of like when pharma kept reinventing prozac into zolloft and paxil etc and serzone into cymbalta and savella etc? just another way to make money off same thing instead of truly coming up with a whole new ball game.
  7. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

It says on my card Ortho-McNell-Jannsen but when you google it it comes up Jannsen Pharmaceuticals.
  8. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I am hoping this is NOT an anti-depressant or has that effect. Cymbalta came close to killing me! I know if I experience any signs of depression, it's going straight into a snowbank. So this is just souped up Ultram? I'm beginning to think that the pharmaceutical companies would sell baking soda in capsule form just to make a buck! Tweak the formula just a little bit, give it a new color paint and presto! An old Ford Pinto disguised as an Expedition (and costing about the same!)
  9. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

My doctor prescribed Nucynta on September 23rd and I love it! I have tried everything under the sun. The problem is, this pill is expensive. I have insurance and for 120 pills it was still $303. I looked up Nucynta on-line and called for their coupons and they will cover the cost of this prescription 4 times a year in full! Also, I am applying for assistance and asking my doctor for his coupons that he can apply for on their website. Check out every possible option to assist with payment. I do well with 2 pills a day and not the 4 prescribed so it seems to be what I need to deal with my FMS and myofascial pain syndrome...along with degenerative disc disease. I am 41 and was searching for anything that would help and this seems to do the trick...for now! Good luck to you!

10. simonedb

simonedb Member

glad it works for you, but if anyone ever had trouble with ultram or snri's beware

from wiki:

Tapentadol is a new molecular entity that is structurally similar to Tramadol (Tramal). It has opioid and nonopioid acitivity in a single compound.

from another forum:

Tapentadol(Nucynta)is basically Tramadol's (Ultram) potent opioid analog. That's all it is. Nothing special just tramadol molecule tweeked a bit to be a bit stronger
  11. TerryS

TerryS Member

I'm taking 50 mg twice a day. Just started about six weeks ago. Tramadol did absolutely nothing for me, but the Nucynta has been nothing short of AMAZING for my pain! I'm currently using the savings card (which you can actually print off online) and am paying only $25 for 120 tablets. But it's worth whatever I need to pay for it. By the way, it has been horribly constipating for me...so, I take Metamucil twice a day.