Has anyone tried the drug *Marinol* it's legal in Canada

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I m thinking of getting a prescription.
    I suffer terribly with nausea, and no matter what I have tried, nothing seems to work, therefore.. this is what I ll be trying next, as apparently from what I ve heard this works great.
    The nausea is a killer for me, I can't stand it, it just kills me, it litterly ruins my days.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have not tried it but I think my mother has. It did not help her so she stopped it. She uses Stemetil for nausea from her FM and also used it during Chemotherapy.

I do believe Marinol is also available in the US as far as all the articles I looked up on it said it was.

I also suffer from severe nausea so I know what you are going through. I use a combination of Reglan, Promethazine, Dimenhydrinate and Lyrica helps a little with it too.

I hope it works for you, let us know!
  3. bjsmit1

bjsmit1 New Member

Marinol is FDA approved, and can be obtained with a prescription. In 1986, the DEA rescheduled the drug from Schedule I to II of the Controlled Substances Act. Again in 1999, the DEA rescheduled it from Schedule II to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act.

I've never used it, but my dad did in the last few months before he died, as most typical antiemetics didn't always help with his nausea during chemo. My dad was using transdermal Fentanyl patches, and Oxycodone for breakthrough pain as well. However, in the 17 months that he lived following his diagnosis, he remained completely lucid with the exception of 2 occasions, unrelated to the use of Marinol.
  4. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I suffer as well. Try ginger I think it might really help.
  5. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi sharon5650,

Marinol is a good apetite enhancer but not as good a antinausea medication. Zofran ODT is a very effective antinausea medication and is used frequently for chemotherapy and post surgical patients. I have used this medication in hundreds of patients with good success. Consider asking your primary care physician for a prescription.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While I certainly do not need the munchies, I considered this for pain when in a horrific flare this last spring.

I have heard conflicting reports of it making you high.

The only thing is when I take the real stuff, which I have not in years, it makes my heart race.

Does the marinol do the same thing?

I would not get it off the street as it is not the sixties anymore and can often be mixed with other chemicals.

I also do not like the feeling of being high.

I also can not tolerate alcohol. My dad and sister also can not which is lucky as my dad has several relatives who were alcoholics. So did my mother.

ETA. Sharon I misread your post and thought you said it is legal in the USA. Is it legal in some states here?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2008]