Has anyone tried Tramadol for Fibromyalgia pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cmbbg, Apr 20, 2008.

1. cmbbg

cmbbg New Member

I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and would love to know what people use for pain. I used Ultracet (tramadol) for shoulder surgery and it worked great. I was just wondering if anyone had used it for pain. Thanks so much for your help.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Many people here use or have used it with great results I think.
    I used it for a short time - unfortunately didn't work great for me - but we're all very different.
    I take a much stronger pain medication at this point.
  3. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I've taken Ultram (Tramodol) for 10 years,50 mg. 4 tablets daily. Sometimes it worked better than others. I never was able to increase the dose to 100 mg. 4 times a day. Sise effects really bothered me, terrible sweating! Now I'm off the Tramodol (I had NO withdrawel effects), and I take Vicodin. It works better for me.

I hope you have good results with the Tramodol.

4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I take tramadol, it works for me for the various pains that I have which are different at various times of the day.

I am allowed to take 4 50mg per day. I am surprised that Delores took 100mg 4 x per day as I was told not to take more than 4 or 5 50mg due to increased risk of seizure.

I didn't know that and twice my pain was terrible and I kept taking tramadol - took 6 and I felt an aura around my head - very weird. My mom is epileptic and that is what she describes before having a seizure. It felt like I was going to have a stroke (have never had a stroke).

After a certain point, the tramadol doesn't work so I didn't need to have taken that much anyway.

5. cmbbg

cmbbg New Member

Janalynn--what are you using for pain?
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

also for pain,
    I take 400 mg Magnesium and 1200 mg of Malic Acid (made from apples/grapes).

When I overdo it, I take 1/2 tsp of baking soda to 8 ounces of water at night on an empty stomach. The first 1/4 tsp neutralizes stomach acid and the second 1/4th goes into bloodstream. It neutralizes lactic acid in muscles.

Less pain in morning.

7. cmbbg

cmbbg New Member

Marti --thanks so much! I am very open to any suggestions anyone can lend. I am all for trying natural things to help the pain. I have a very physical job --so I'm looking for ANYTHING that will help the pain. Thanks again.
  8. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I tried this a long time ago and I felt no relief whatsoever.It was like taking a Tylenol to me,nothing.
  9. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Hon, I never was able to take 100mg. 4 times a day. The rheumy said I may take that much, but I was unable to because of the side effects. Sweating was horrible!

Just wanted to tell you. I never took that much.

10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My doc gave me this recently, but I'm scared to take it. The seizure thing terrifies me and I've done alot of research on the net and too many people say you can get horrible withdrawal symptoms if you go off it. So I'm scared. I'm real sensitive to drugs, so I do have to be careful. I have heard it does work on pain, though.
  11. connieaag

connieaag New Member

This was the first pain med my daughter was prescribed. It didn't help. She recently tried a sample of the new Extended releas version. You can take 100mg to 300mg one time a day. Even at 300mg she had no relief. Currently using MS Contin, but that only takes the edge off.

BTW her doctor said for FM pain he thinks one needs an extended release pain med for the most benefit.
  12. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I take Ultram, but it only works it I take other things with it. So usually I take Ultram with Tylenol and Aleve.
  13. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi Dolores,
    That is good to hear. Probably the sweating saved you from harm. No one had told me and I somehow missed that when I had done research.

Teabisquit - I am very sensitive to meds as well. Tramadol is the only pain reliever I will take. I just won't take the rest. It is not a true narcotic - it works differently than a narcotic. I do not find it to be addictive. I don't believe there are risks for seizures at normal levels. Any drug that you overdo is dangerous. I do not find any withdrawal with Tramadol. (sometimes I have to get off all my meds for testing - will be doing it again in about a week) that is how I know.

I prefer it because I stay AWAKE. Everything else puts me to sleep - no life if I sleep all day. Even 300mg of neurontin knocks me out.

But we are all different and we each have to evaluate risks for ourselves. This is just my experience with this drug.

14. jmq

jmq New Member

Yes, that is what I take almost every day. Some days are worst than others. I usually find it best to just take 50mg every 4 to 6 hours. On worse days, I take 100mg every 4 to six hours. If you let the pain creep in too long before taking the tramadol, it will take longer to kick in. It never takes the pain COMPLETELY away, but I can function.

When I have a bad headache, I will sometimes take one 50 mg tramadol and one excederin. Also the caffine gives me alittle boost.

Hope it works for you. Many here take it along with stronger pain pills when the tramadol isnt enough.

15. akandmk

akandmk New Member

I was on lyrica but it didn't really help and all it did do was put weight on me. I am now up to taking neurontin at 300 mgs twice a day and three times starting next week. I also take flexmed which is a lighter version of flexeril and it seems to be helping except on the days where it is really humid and going to rain or if I've over done it, or if I've stressed out too much. I've seen a big difference in the neurontin already and have been thinking of going on the tramadol also for the pain. If it causes seizures at least neurontin is an antiseizure med.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2008]
  16. italiano

italiano New Member

Reading posts. I am new to the being in so much pain have to take a pain pill stuff. You who take vicodan MS contin....are those narcotics and how do they make you feel compared to ultram? I would like feedback because the ultram only takes edge off for me temporarily and i too am very sensitive to drugs. Everyone's comments are appreciated ....i learn alot from you all out there.