Has anyone tried using epsom salts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fullarmor, Jul 18, 2003.

1. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

Hello! Has anyone here tried epsom salts in their bath? I've used them before and they've helped with my leg pain. But a couple weeks ago I tried them again, and what a horrible experience. While still in the tub, the worst pain I've ever felt just crept up through my body, literally head to toe. I couldn't even get out of the tub, my husband had to help me into the bedroom and all i could do for the next 2 hours was cry and moan in pain. I've never hurt so bad! I have no idea what happened. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm so afraid to try them again. Help!
  2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

The only time I tried Epsom Salts in the bathtub, I got a vaginal infection. I've never tried it again.

JoAnn
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been using Epson Salts and Peroxide for over 20 years for baths, have never had such an experience or hear of one.

Is it possible you got a spasm from sitting in the tub? I have had that happen.

Heres what I do, also the recommendation from the book that I have read on peroxide.

For whoever said they got an vaginal infection? can some get a vaginal infection from magnesium? Thats what epson salts is, magnesium sulfate.

Shalom, Shirl

-----------------------------------------------------------
    I was first told to do this by a doctor, then I found a book on Peroxide, here is what the book says;

'The hydrogen peroxide which you find at your drug store counter is 3% concentration and is fine for external use, but contains preservatives and stabilizers which shoud NOT be ingested orally. Thus you can use this to add to your bath water(from one pint to one quart, depending on your need or desire) but should NOT attempt to drink it. And while we are on this subject, I would like to encourage you to try a bath in this oxygen-rich substance. It invigorates. It relieves pain. It stimulates your mind. It reduces stiffness and soreness like no other treatment. We give all our patients a whirlpool bath with the equivalent of one gallon of 3% in it every other day. Some might like to do this early in the day because it can be very invigorating and you won't want to go to bed right afterward.

Taken from the book: 02, 02, 02, Oxygen' by; 'Kurt W. Donsbach D.C,,Ph.D.

The difference that I do is mix three cups of Epson Salts with the peroxide, in water as warm as I can stand, which causes a weakness, so I go to bed afterwards for at least a half hour.

I hope this helps, I know according to exact science, this does not work, but it works for me!

I have been using this bath now for close to 20 years, and it never failed to help when I am in a flare, or just tired and need a little help. Its not a cure, but it is temporary relief.

If you have sore muscles from over work or exercise, it will help you feel good the next day.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
  4. KCD

KCD New Member

I have used the epsom salt baths for relaxation and the peroxide for b.o. Every three to four weeks I have to use peroxide to get rid of the bacteria. I guess my system is going thru a major detoxification. I have never had a body odor problem in my life until the last six months. Go figure....KCD
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

unless it's acute pain/injury with nerve pain. then heat just makes it worse, need ice.

maybe that's what you needed? ice?

otherwise, I am stumped at what happened to you.

How many cups epsom did you use?

Jen
  6. isee

isee New Member

I had a similar reaction with epsom salts. I soaked in a warm bath with about three cups of the salts. Later that evening I ached all over, and felt extremely fatigued. Fluish. Haven't tried it again, for fear it would produce the same result.

I thought maybe I had a detox reaction. If magnesium has a laxative effect(which it purportly does), then it seems possible that soaking in it could stir up the waste elimination process.

I have hydrogen peroxide, but I'm waiting til I feel strong enough to try it with epsom salts.

Anna
  7. Vicky

Vicky New Member

i tried bath salts once, and had very bad pain all over,
    i haven't dared try them since.

Vicky