Has anyone used Ambien long term?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starstella, Jan 4, 2003.

1. starstella

starstella New Member

I have been using Ambien for about 2 years now for sleep. I still wake up during the night, but can get back to sleep easier. I know the manufacturer says only use short term; I'm not sure if that warning is there because of possible dependency or problems with sleep cycle.

Personnaly, I don't care if I've become dependent on it, I'm dependent on my Verapamil for my heart arrythmias also so what is the difference? But I do wonder if my sleep is less restful as a result of the long term use of the Ambien.

I've been recently started on Klonopin because of severe twitching in my sleep. If I take more than a .25 (1/2) tab I'm too drugged up the next day. Between the Verapamil and the Klonopin, I sure get some wild dreams--that sure dosent help the sleep problem either.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone else has used the Ambien for a long time and how it has affected you.

I do plan on trying the ZMA that the moderators suggest.
  2. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi, I've used ambien for almost 3 yrs and at first I only took it when I would desparately need to sleep. I talked with my Dr. about it and getting where I needed it and he said so what. There are people who can't sleep due to chemical imbalance and if it helps,take it and thats what I do. I have anxiety attacks and take ativan for that. I used to feel bad about taking all these drugs but if I hurt and need them it's just like people who have diabetes and they take insulin. We don't have to tell anyone what we take and no reason to be ashamed. I'm not an addict just someone who is ill. Hope this helps. Terri
  3. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Have just started using Ambien, works great. I take neuronton,9 for the spasms twitching etc., and Doxepin for (sleep/depression)Soma, for muscle relaxer.

Using the right combination of meds also helps with sleep.
    If I wake up hurting, I can take Soma, which also deems to make you a little drousy.

Don't be afraid to try other things, just do it slowly. I have had FMS/ETC. for 28 yrs. they have come a long way
    Baby!! 1maqt
  4. Tess0

Tess0 New Member

I was on Ambien for 2-3 years. I was addicted, so if I forgot to renew my medication, I could go for days without sleep. Since memory and cognitive problems are a big issue for me, forgetting to renew or take the ambien was a regular proble.For the first year with a new dr., his advise was that the addiction was mild to my other problems and we should hold off on stopping it.

I ended up on disability because of the disease and the first thing my doctor and I did was wean me off ambien. It wasn't hard, but took time. Since I wasn't working, though, it took a lot of stress off. I didn't have to sleep on a schedule.

I am glad I made the break. Ne gave me sonata afterwards for a needs only basis. Also, I am taking trazodone at night now for my chronic illnesses. I very rarely need the sonata and getting a good more natural sleep is much more restful than th ambien sleep. Ambien helped so very much in the beginning, but became ineffective after long term use.
  5. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

for the last 5 months. At the beginning it was brilliant, it used to make me fall asleep within 1 hour. It carried on working really well for 4 months, but now it does not work that well. I was on 5mg. Maybe I should increase to 10mg. I try not to take anything for 2-3 days a week, but those days it takes me 4-5 hours to fall asleep. ZMA does not seem to work for me although I just take it to correct my magnesium deficiency. Ambien is the only one that has worked for so long. All the others have become ineffective after about a week.

Satin
  6. starstella

starstella New Member

why did your doc wean you off the ambien?
  7. Jenelle

Jenelle New Member

I have used Ambien for some time. Probably a couple of years. I use it every night. For a while it worked well by itself - when it didn't work by itself, my doctor started me on elavil (generic). I take 2 each night with the Ambien and it usually works well. Sometimes though, I just cannot get to sleep no matter what I do and those nights I am up and down taking anything I can find to help -Tylenol, pain medication, Benadryl, or Melatonin (sometimes I think I take it all and finally wear myself out about 3:00 and go to sleep. I do not believe it is adicting to take Ambien but it is adicting to need sleep.
  8. Jenelle

Jenelle New Member

I have used Ambien for some time. Probably a couple of years. I use it every night. For a while it worked well by itself - when it didn't work by itself, my doctor started me on elavil (generic). I take 2 each night with the Ambien and it usually works well. Sometimes though, I just cannot get to sleep no matter what I do and those nights I am up and down taking anything I can find to help -Tylenol, pain medication, Benadryl, or Melatonin (sometimes I think I take it all and finally wear myself out about 3:00 and go to sleep. I do not believe it is adicting to take Ambien but it is adicting to need sleep.