Has anyone used Relacore or Cortislim?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Aug 31, 2005.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

It is supposed to reduce levels of Cortisol and therefore reduce cravings for sugar/carbs etc.

Here is an exlanaition of how it works that I found on the web nad I would like to hear feedback:

Relacore and Cortislim are moving into the weight loss market where ephedra left off. The stimulant herb ephedra was one of the all-time best-selling weight loss products in the herb industry. As it became evident that the FDA was going to pull ephedra from the market due to potentially dangerous side effects in people who overdosed on it, supplement companies scrambled to find other natural products for weight loss. One new trend is to promote weight loss by reducing cortisol levels and lowering blood sugar and two of the best-known products of that type are Relacore and Cortislim.

The TV ads for Cortislim claim that the product helps you lose weight by lowering cortisol levels. Many of you know cortisol as the hormone that rises when you're chronically stressed. Like other hormones, cortisol is essential to good health but damaging when it’s too high or too low. Chronically high cortisol increases appetite, especially for sugar and carbohydrates; creates weight gain around the middle; contributes to short term memory loss; depletes bone and suppresses the immune system. It also increases your risk for breast cancer. If your cortisol is elevated for years on end, eventually you’ll end up with tired adrenals, never-ending fatigue and unstable blood sugar that may lead to diabetes.

Ideally you would revive your adrenals and reduce your cortisol levels by reducing and managing stress, eating well, exercising moderately and getting plenty of sleep in a dark room.

If you need a little extra help, the new generation of supplements such as Relacore and Cortislim are designed to reduce cortisol levels by helping you relax and stabilizing or lowering your blood sugar. The primary ingredient is an extract of magnolia bark (Magnolia Officinalis Cortex), which has a long history of use in Chinese medicine for “wind-stroke, cold damage, headache, cold and heat, fright qi, blood impediment and dead muscle (from Subhuti Dharmananda of the Institute for Traditional Medicine). The term “fright qi” probably comes closest to describing the condition of chronic stress, which Dharmananda says is associated with “emotional distress, …digestive disturbances associated with fear and anxiety, and shortness of breath due to emotional turmoil.”

Along with the magnolia, both Cortislim and Relacore contain some vitamin C and calcium. Cortislim also contains chromium, a trace mineral that helps stabilize blood sugar; L-theanine, an amino acid found in green tea that promotes relaxation, and a handful of other ingredients that promote balanced blood sugar.

Relacore contains a smattering of B vitamins, magnesium, and a smattering of herbs that promote relaxation and stable blood sugar.

Source Naturals has a product called Relora that contains magnolia and Phellodendron amurense. There’s not a lot of research available on Phellodendron, but in Chinese medicine it’s used as an anti-inflammatory and to help balance blood sugar.

Chinese medicine texts warn against the use of both magnolia and phellodendron if you have digestion problems.

Can these products help you lose weight? Maybe. But this has to be said: they’re no substitute for a wholesome diet and moderate exercise.

thanks for reading this,

happygranny
  2. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I have heard that when you call to order from tv ads that you must give them a checking acct. or credit card number. After that, they keep charging your account monthly.

I know there is a class action lawsuit against Cortislim charging that it doesn't work.

The ads surely do sound convincing though.

3. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Happygranny:

Save your money, it doesn't work. Yes when you call they want to do automatic shipping and billing. But, it is available at Walgreens and Walmart. The theory sounds great, but as the old saying goes "if it sounds too good to be true".......

M J
  4. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I also think that it is a scary medicine to take if you have cfids or fibro. Theory is, (as you may already know) That part of the sickness is do to our adrenal glands malfunctioning. The adrenals are what release cortisol. The theory is that sometimes it releases to much, and sometimes it doesn't release enough. I would not even consider taking this med without the advice of a doctor who is very well schooled in cfids and FM. I think it could seriously mess you up. Just my thoughts.
  5. happygranny

happygranny Member

mjwarchel, I wonder if you said it doesn't work because you tried it? Or have you found that out fromother sources?
    Because most of us have adrenal related problems, I wondered if taking Relacore would alleviate some of that misery, as well as help with the cravings.

dunnlb, reading what you wrote about our cortisol levels fluctuating makes me rethink using it. Unfortunately I don't have a doctor schooled in FM or CFIDS, and so I do most of my 'doctoring' myself.

Thanks again and hope for more input.

happygranny
  6. happygranny

happygranny Member

I did try Chromium Picolinate and it made me so tired, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I don't know what was happening, it must have been something to do with blood sugar levels.

I wrote to the manufacturer's doctor for infor about why I might have had this reaction, and they couldn't tell me, said they never heard of it before.... That's me, very unique.

I still have the bottle, maybe I should give it another try.

Thanks again,
    happygranny
  7. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Just my own two cents.When I tried it I got a terrible headache and actually gained weight in the very areas that I was supposed to lose it.
  8. rainbowluv

rainbowluv New Member

It seems to help me with the afternoon cravings. I don't get jittery, and sleep well too (well most of the time) depending on shoulder/hip/knee/jaw pain!!!! I did notice a little bit of diahreah the first few weeks only. What may work for me may not work the same way for someone else.
    I gave it a try because I thought "what the heck" if I don't feel better or I am not happy with the way it makes me feel I will just discontinue taking it. For me it's a mild appetite supressant; which is just what I need. I want to eat healthy; just not get week at those moments we sometimes have. I was worried that it would effect my sleep, but I only take four a day (all before 4:00pm) So far so good. I also take klonopin 2mg. before bed sometimes only 1mg. I don't feel groggy in the morning. The flares still come along, but I try to stay positive and busy.

take care
    rainbowluv
  9. happygranny

happygranny Member

Anyone else have a relacore experience?

happygranny
  10. Nadineg

Nadineg New Member

I have tried Relacore and I did lose a little. I am on Neurontin,Oxy,Norco,Cymbalta,and a few other things. I also am taking 2 supplements that are also helping my fibro. The best thing to do to lose weight is to watch your sugar and fat intake. It is kind of like a diabetic diet. It does work. I have lost at least 10lbs in the last 2 months. I wold not waste my hard earned money on buying those diet things anymore. You just need to watch what you eat and do a little bit of walking and you will lose in know time. You will be surprised. Also if you watch your sugar you will notice you won't hurt as bad either.
    Nadine
  11. happygranny

happygranny Member

Even though I would like to loose some weight, about 20 lbs, I was thinking more about whether it would help with other FMS symptoms because of the cortisol levels.

Thanks for the advice.

Happygranny