Has anyone used ZMA and NOT been helped by it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, Apr 18, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

Magnesium causes me to spend my whole day in the bathroom, but I'd be willing to give this a try if I knew more about it's usefulness. I know that some of you have been helped, but are there others that have not?

I had surgery a couple of years ago for an anal fissure that was caused by diarrhea from an antibiotic. Not a pleasant experience. So let me know about this kind of thing with ZMA, please.

Kathy
  2. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi, Kathy:

Kathe here! ZMA did not help me sleep, and I developed ankle swelling from it. It did stop my leg muscle cramps, but they came back almost immediately after I stopped taking the ZMA. Began taking mag. glycinate and malic acid on Madwolf's prescription (he's my healthcare giver) and when I ran out of those at the same time I ran out of money, it was about 3 months before the cramps came back. This clues me in that the mag. glycinate is better used by my body at least.

Nothing much seems to bother my bowels, except for excessive flatulence, so I have little of your experience with diarreha. However, I used the ZMA because it did work for some others on the board, and I was willing to give it a try.

I read a little about the aspartate-aspartame connection-not sure but what the aspartate was my problem.

Have a good day, loonie (Kathe)
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have tried it for two weeks, seemed to interrupt my sleep more. I switched to the magnesium plus at night instead (I'm one for whom too much magnesium makes for diarrhea, so using one pill at night now, hoping to work up to two). Its the mag. glycinate & supposed to be less likely to cause the runs....

I know a lot of folks here love ZMA, but we are all different! For me, I felt it gave me worse sleep not better.

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. acupuncture

acupuncture New Member

I was excited about trying it. So many people seem to have benefitted. But it kept me awake and I ended up with stomach cramps----but no diarrhea. I'm STILL consitpated. Then I took it in the am and reduced the dose. But still had problems with it. It's amazing how different we all are with the same disease!!!! The only thing that consistently helps me is Stabilium. And I don't know if it helps many others. Oh well! We just have to press on till we find something that does work. Good luck
  5. wolflake46

wolflake46 New Member

Redb,

I tried ZMA was excited to try it hoping it would help me sleep at night since I read all the wonderful results from people who had tried it on this board. I tried all of their suggustions they had for me when it wasn't working but it didn't seem to make any difference. I am glad that many have gotten wonderful results from it but sorry to say I'm not one of them.

Diane
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

used it for two weeks and it gave me very bad diarrhea. Try riding a horse and having your beautiful saturday ruined cause you had to spend most of the time in the bushes! yuk!
    that stuff was nasty for me and sleep was not any better. others have been helped by this but unfortunatly not me.
    judy
  7. RedB

RedB New Member

I'm thinking I'll stick with what I've got now. I've had too many years of doing bathroom time, and I'd like to keep it a thing of the past! I take one Ativan and one Flexeril at night, and I have a great 10 hours of solid sleep. I suspect I sleep better than anyone on this board. I wish I could say it has eliminated the pain, but that would be wishful thinking. At least I can say that between that, and walking a mile at least 3-4 times a week, and doing stretches, that I do feel better than when first diagnosed.

Kathy
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have tried it for the last few weeks, and I slept better on my other meds..I sleep longer on it, but feel less rested..seems it is "heavier" sleep..but sometimes, I cannot get to sleep at all on it...So I guess, it just depends on the person...

9. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I religiously used up a whole bottle of ZMA, Kathy, with high hopes I'd sleep for once...nope. Not a bit of difference. The only thing that will knock me out is an Ambien, and with luck I'll sleep for a few hours! LOL
    ~Back to the drawing board...
    PS...I also have chronic diarrhea, which is basically under control now, but I found- at least for me, ZMA did NOT bother my problem one way or the other.(I am facing rectal surgery in a month too) :(
    Love,
    Fibromiester
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2003]