Has Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) helped anybody?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, May 9, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I saw your post, Jane32, and was wondering if it has helped anyone else.
    Thanks.
    Khomes
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for posting this question. I just started therapy (not sure if cognitive) and will interested in feedback.

I won't be posting much for a while, but will read...
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

It's not a "cure", of course, and run from any therapist who says it is, but I've found it very helpful.

I think I have found it most beneficial in speeding up my recovery after having a bad bout, and in helping me correct behavior that either worsened or stimulated the illness.

I've been fortunate in that my primary care doctor and my therapist work out of the same office one day a week, and they are sort of a tag-team when it comes to my health care.

The key is that they both believe both CFS and FM are both physiological, not psychological, and that any depression & stress are due to having to deal with the illness, not the cause of it.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... of mine did recover using CBT and a short-term anti-anxiety med (name of which escapes me at the moment) but she began both immediately. Her fatigue resolved within a year. She was also in her late 20's. I think early treatement and youth play a big role in recovery.

That said, I think that CBT is good for just about anyone living with an illness involving anxiety or depression. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a therapist who teaches it.

Marta
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I found out I had been catastrophizing and it was leading to a lot of unnecessary anxiety. I learned how to recognize early on when I was doing this and stopped. Unfortunately, not all my anxiety was due to this; some of it was from seizure activity in my brain. I ended up taking Klonopin which not only reduced the anxiety, but also helped me to sleep, got rid of my sensory overload, and helped with muscle spasms and tinnitus.

I am better and am trying to wean off the Klonopin, which is a lengthy process to avoid rebound seizures/seizure activity.

CBT helped me immediately. Funny thing is that I was seeing a shrink at the time but I learned about CBT by reading about it in an article. Go figure.

Love, Mikie
  6. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

How do you find someone that practices this? I asked my health care provider for someone that practices CBT, but of course they dropped the ball.

Chris
  7. KelB

KelB New Member

Helped me lots. Using the techniques I was shown during the CBT, I've been gradually able to get back to work and should finally be full time from the first week of June.

Like Callum, I'd advise you to run a mile from anyone who tells you it's a cure. However, my CBT was delivered by an Occupational Therapist who was adamant that CFS is a physical illness and that CBT is just given as a coping strategy.

The point of the CBT is to teach you techniques that might help you live more comfortably with the symptoms of CFS, and also to get you in the best possible shape to take advantage of any remission that might happen.

Not every technique I was shown worked for me, but the OT said to expect this. Everyone has a different combination of symptoms, so there isn't a "one size fits all" CBT course. All I'd say is that you should try everything and only discard an idea when you know it hasn't helped.

To be honest, the sort of CBT I was given has the potential to help anyone with a chronic illness improve their quality of life.
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My primary care doctor has recommended CBT, so I may try it. I just have to find a practitioner first.
    Kholmes