has cymbalta helped anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rinaldo, Apr 19, 2007.

1. rinaldo

rinaldo New Member

Hi i started taking cymbalta and it really seem to be helping with the pain. Everyone say it makes to gain weight. Im finding a decrease in my appetite but i havent lost any weight has it helped anyone else without the weight gain
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Hello rinaldo,
    I'm male, the reason I tell you this is because I haven't met a male subject yet that has been helped by Cymbalta.

Come to think of it I haven't heard of anyone benefiting from this drug.
    When I was first prescribed it, my Doctor said it was an antidepressant that was having pain relief for some women and he wanted to see if it would possibly help me also.

However it did not.

Dan

3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I too would love to hear from someone it is helping. I keep hearing that it helps but not so much from anyone specifically. I mean for pain and CFS and FMS stuff, not for depression.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

It's been a GREAT med for me!! I has helped my fibro pain!

I've not experienced any side effects, except that taking 60 mg in the AM made me too drowsey all day, so I now take 30 mg in the AM and 30 mg in the PM.

jlh
  5. FoggyMama

FoggyMama New Member

I have been taking 60mg of Cymbalta daily for most of the last 2 years. I take so many other medications that I was having a hard time knowing which were helping and which were not. I decided to try to eliminate some of the 13 Rx's that I was taking. I went off the Cymbalta for 3 months. I could really tell the difference! I was in quite a bit more pain and generally stiff and not getting around very well. I went back to the doc and asked for the Cymbalta. After taking it again for a week or so, I noticed less pain. The only drawback to taking Cymbalta is the weight gain. I've been taking Mirapex 0.5mg at bed time for a few months now. It does help me get a better rest at night but best of all is helping with a slow but steady weight loss. I weighed 95-100 lbs my entire adult life (except during pregnancies) until I had my first flare in 2004 at the age of 41. My frame is pretty petite and I gained over 60 lbs in the past 3 years and I think the extra weight has at least something to do with the aches and pains in my lower back and legs. So, I'm really excited to find something that has the duo-benefits of better sleep and weight loss.
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

But I felt it wasn't worth the cost.
  7. revlcb

revlcb New Member

By day two my legs were twitching - what I assume would be dx as RLS. Jumpy, as if I HAD to move them.

By day four my entire body was doing this terrible dance. Honestly, I looked like a Parkinson's patient.

Not much sleep for 5 days due to the muscles jerking around.

8. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

and by day 3 my pain was cut in half. I was so excited that I finally found some relief. HOWEVER, as the days went on, I started to feel more dizzy and nauseous. Two weeks in, I could hardly get off the couch, and when I did I vomited.

I was almost pain-free, but couldn't function. I was on 30mg. I'm so desperate than I'm thinking of trying it again and splitting the capsule in half so I'll only be on 15mg. Or even getting the 20mg capsules and splitting them in half. I'm scared of feeling awful again with the vertigo, but my desperation is beginning to outweigh my fear.

And I didn't gain any weight on it.
  9. madisond

madisond New Member

Hi,
    I just started taking Cymbalta and it's helping me. I don't wake up all stiff in the mornings anymore and I don't feel the real bad pain like I use too. I haven't gained any weight, in fact it has decreased my appetite.

Good Luck, I hope it works for you.
    Debbie in Bayside New York
  10. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

but I couldnt take it. My dr gave me 60 mgs last mth and it made me very sick. Vomiting and the other too and almost like motion sickness.

Then he gave me 30 mgs of the cymbalta and I was so nausous and my body twitched too bad to take it. I took the 30 mg for 5 days and it took 3 more to get it out of my system.

I truly hope it works for you, we all want something to help and maybe this will be yours.

Suzette
  11. broadkill

broadkill New Member

I was put on cymbalta last year.I took it for 4 days,every day I became increasingly agitated,anxious,panicy.By the 4th day I had heartburn like pain...I don't get heartburn.I was laying around watching tv trying to deal with this pain,and anxiety,it was about 20 minutes after taking a cymbalta.I all the sudden felt I was going to pass out.I got up to yell for my husband,got his name out,it felt like fire shooting from my toes upwards towards my head,I got back to the bed and laid on my back.My husband arrived and at that point I had chest pain,rapid breathing,could not open my eyes and could not move my body at all.I was hauled away in an ambulance to the ER.Spent the night being monitored in the er where I had more and more of these episodes of squeezing in my chest etc,they gradually went away,exactly 8 hours after taking the last cymbalta I had another major episode,they finally subsided.There was no heart involvement and it was diagnosed as a 'panic attack'.I've had panic attacks...this was not something I've ever experienced before or want to re experience.
    The Er docs said that it could NOT have been the cymbalta....when I told my doc he said'it looks like you can't take cymbalta'I have been 'fine' since it got out of my system.It took a few days.
  12. broadkill

broadkill New Member

I can say one thing good about cymbalta...while I was under it's influence my body did not hurt from the fibro!lol
  13. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I recently started taking Cymbalta. It has really helped me with the pain, especially back pain.
  14. hob

hob New Member

I took cymbalta and it helped with my daily ache in addition to my depression. I haven't really had my weight go up or down because of it. I hope it helps you more!

hob
  15. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

It worked really well for me about the first 6 monthes I was on it. It took away most of my pain. The pain coming back after that. I am still on but don`t feel its doing much for me.

I didn`t have any weight gain from it, thank God.
  16. bandmom90

bandmom90 New Member

I just started taking it 4 days ago and I am still taking vicodin, so to me it isn't helping at this point. I wasn't too excited about taking it because I had to go off the lexapro my gyno put me on for hot flashes after hysterectomy. It was helping and my dr wasn't sure if the cymbalta would. I've been a little warmer at night, but that could be because the weather is warming up. The cymbalta is deffinitly not helping with pain, but not sure if it will take longer to start working.
    bandmom
  17. Apocalipstick

Apocalipstick New Member

I am hopeful that this is going to work, I was on amitriptylne (SP?) and I gained 8lbs in 4weeks. I did notice thought the the insert that came with my meds specifically said that it has only been proven in women to fight pain.