Has Elavil helped anyone's pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

The doctor prescribed Elavil for my husband's Diabetic Neuopathy. Before we fill it I just wondered if it may have helped anyone else with their FM pain which is very similar in many ways with his pain. Hugs, Bambi
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I take elavil for sleep and other meds, flexril and trazadone it helps me get to sleep and I do not wake up in as bad of pain. but that is short lived. I tried gabitril for nerve pain, it seems to have helped the pain but had awful hullucinations. I would be leary of the elavil because of the diebetic problems. It makes me crave sweets and gain weight which I think that might be a serious problem for your husband.

Ask the doc that RX it....

Good luck,
    Cindy
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

concerned for the same reason. A friend of mine was on it for several years and other similar meds as well as she is Bipolar. She gained weight when they added the Elavil and she never DID manage to lose the weight even years after she stopped it. She feels that it changed her metabolism somehow, but permanently. She has tried every diet plan known to man but even when she eats next to nothing the weight remains. When I saw the script come in I was worried about it. I will relay your thoughts to my husband, the last thing he needs is to have an increase in appetite as he fights that now. Hugs, Bambi
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Check out the side effects on all the web sites and you will find a craving for sweets, and it is true.

I crave a candy bar or what ever is there. The craving is fierce and will be satisfied, trust me.

Dan
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

No. But it was really prescribed to me to help with sleep, and the dosage might be different than when they prescribe it for pain.

However, I do have the uncontrollable craving for sweets that others here have described.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Janelle
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

My father took Elavil for his diabetic neuropathy pain in his legs and it always helped him.

I also have diabetes in addition to my fibro, lupus, arthritis, etc. I find that my neuropathy pain is quite different than the fibro pain.

If I remember correctly, Elavil is very inexpensive. It is also very sedating, so it's best to take it at bedtime.

Elavil is the very first med that I was given for my fibro pain. It helped me on the pain, but I was just sensitive to it--I just had to take a small amount for it to work--and I was working full-time at the time and found it to sedating to take and get up at 4:30 am the next morning to go to work.

Cymbalta is another anti-depressant which has been approved for diabetic neuropathy and fibro pain. That is what I am currently taking.
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Right now my husband has been on a diet. When he was first diagnosed a few years ago he and I both went on the Diabetic "diet"..not hard at all really, and both lost weight. But he has a real carb craving to start with and get sugarless candy..but has a hard time just having a piece now and then like we all should.

He was put on Cymbalta also and it did absolutely zero for his pain..as has been the same with most off label things they've tried on him. I am very afraid that if he had an additional craving for sweets it would just be more than he could resist.

He went back on the diet 3 months ago when the doctor said he wanted to put him on insulin but agreed to give him three more months. When he went back the other day to have his blood work gone over ALL his numbers were way down and the doc was frankly amazed. He needs to stick to this diet if he wants to avoid insulin, so I really think he'd be better off passing on the Elavil. Of course all I do is gather the info and pass it on, what he does is up to him as he's well over 21, closer 3 times that. LOL!

This doc is good at prescribing all the "new" drugs as they come out also. I know with many they do what one doctor described to me as "mass clinical studies" when the new drugs first hit the market..and I don't know about now but the docs used to get a little hand dusting for prescribing them. Or at least that's what the one doctor told me. He also told me that in most cases he would not take anything that hasn't been out and in the list of tried and true meds for at least 2 years and better 5.

I know with some meds you can't afford to wait and need to take your chances, but with most I go along with him on waiting awhile. I just hoped the Elavil would be ok as it's been around for a long long time. It's mainly his feet that cause him the most pain and especially when he first has to stand on them in the morning. He has wide hard to fit feet and just finding a slipper that is comfortable and wearable for him is a major effort.

Even though I am better now with the FM than I was even a few years ago, better regime, better med support, better acceptance..the works...it can sure feel like we take one step forward and three back between the two of us with pain issues. I don't know what either one of us would do without the other to fill in the gaps of pain areas and pain days! LOL! Like TWO blind mice leading each other some times. Thanks for all the help, sincerely! Hugs, Bambi