Has Everyone Checked For Computer Virus?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know much about this but, evidently, many computers are infected with a virus which will cause computers not to be able to use the internet as of Mon. It is imperative to check for it and remove it if you computer is infected. Many news channels have info on how to check. I have Norton and it has a downloadable viral scanner which is capable of finding viruses which do not normally get detected. It was one of the ones suggested to find this virus. I ran it and my computer came up clean.

I watched the story on TV but am a bit foggy from my fall. The background of this is too much for me to remember but it's on the up and up. If you can't find it, just do a search on "computer virus" and you will find it. There are warnings online from many sources and there are ways to check to see if your computer is infected and instructions on how to remove it.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From what I could glean, and I may not have the whole story (I'm still goofy from the fall), the govt. discovered this pervasive virus some time ago but it involved servers which people use to get online. So, the govt. has basically left it alone but those who infected the servers, and many computers, have been caught. On Mon., the govt. will shut down the infected servers. If one is infected, one may not be able to get online on Mon. when the servers are shut down. I am not that computer savvy but I did go online and found the URL for my computer's operating system and my internet service provider. I was able to download Norton Eraser which looks more deeply for viruses. My computer came up clean.

There are a number of sites where they have info on checking whether one's computer is infected. Clark Howard and the TV networks all have info on this. I can't believe I haven't heard about this sooner.

Love, Mikie
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

It has been getting news for a while and Data Doctors, a reliable computer source, has put in their newsletter a way to check your system. I already checked mine.

Go on the site below and click according to where you are located (U.S., Canada, etc.). If you come up with a green screen, you are okay. If you come up with a red screen, you have a problem.

4. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks Mikie...hope you feel better!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope none of us has it. The Norton Eraser scanned my entire computer and came up empty for any viruses. It was the recommended utility to find the virus and get rid of it.

Love, Mikie
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Discussion early today on TV mentioned that malware, trojans and viruses are getting more complex and today was one that hit huge in 2008 and the FBI handled it and did a copycat in order to allow the many numbers of computers to keep running until today.

It was suggested that there may be more incidents that the FBI gets involved in like today as the bad guys put even more nasty stuff on our computers.

So they mentioned to make it a regular schedule to always install the Microsoft updates if you don't have them on automatic install, and running the anti-virus programs and getting those updates as well as any other security programs you have. They said this helps tremendously and sadly some people have good security programs and never update nor run them.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In this case, the usual anti-viral software was not equipped to handle this special virus. It is good advice to let Microsoft update itself automatically and either use one's anti-viral software to do a scan or have them done automatically. Norton developed the Norton Eraser update for this virus but it had to be downloaded. I don't understand why it didn't download automatically. It scanned my entire content.

Most computers aren't infected but for those which are, and nothing was done to get rid of the virus, it will be a housecall from a geek or taking the computer in for service. I figured it's better to be safe than sorry after the fact. What I don't understand is why the news didn't alert us to this more in advance. Many people wouldn't heed the advice even if given six months' notice. People always think it can't happen to them.

People here didn't listen to all the Comcast warnings about the digital boxes required when cable TV went 100 percent digital. A lot of people were dumbfounded when they could only get three channels. I guess denial is strong.

I hope no one here got caught by this virus. I've been reading a book about the Stuxnet Virus, designed to disrupt Iran's enrichment of radioactive materials. It is evidetly code designed by a genius. Only problem is that it was discovered and the code can now be used against anyone. It could bring down our power grid, banking, and even our guidance-system weapons. Cyber crime has climbed to a whole new scary level.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some ISP's, like Times Warner and AT&T have installed their own servers to make it possible for infected computers to access the web so they can give their members more time to get rid of the virus. So, even if a person were able to get online on Mon., it's no guarantee the computer isn't infected.

I think keeping extra cash is a good idea. During hurricanes and afterward, there is usually no power. Our Publix markets have huge generators but the debit card/credit card machines may not be working. Checks are treated like debit card transactions so they may not be usable either. I keep the car gassed up because gas tanks don't work at the filling stations. I also keep a case of emergency water in the car. Keeping extra meds is important, especially for the ones we cannot just stop taking. This is just a local temporary problem. Imagine having a virus cut off all our electrical power or our banking system. This may be the new weapon of choice for terrorists.

Love, Mikie