Has Fibro caused anyone to gain weight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babygirl44, Feb 6, 2007.

1. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

I have put on so much weight wich is not good at all due to the fact I can't exc, when I do the pain is horrible and last for days.What can I do.
  2. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I've gained so much weight with it, I don't know if it's because I have Hypothyroid also, or if it's the meds I am on.... but it sucks.
  3. The dr. said it is because I am not as active, DUH! No kidding.
  4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I got sick 10 weeks into my last pregnancy (over 3 years ago). I still haven't lost that pregnancy's weight...all the other times, I'd drop it within a few months.

What's more frustrating is that I am NOT eating enough to sustain my weight (40+ pounds over my ideal weight). Does any else have this problem. I can see how the lack of exercise relates to not losing weight; but how I can be hardly eating anything and keeping all this weight on? Anyone else have this issue?

--Tina
  5. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Ive gained oooooabout 60 lbs. from all this. Now I try to be active as much as I can. All the weeks in PT and then swimming at the YMCA...Havent lost a pound!! Go figure!!
    CindyVR
  6. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

I am at 60 pounds now too, when I went on thyroid the gain stopped, but I havent been able to lose.

The first month into my relapse (I have been fairly asymptomatic for a number of years) but that first month I gained 20 pounds. The doc said I must be stress eatting. I said to her that I wasnt a moron and if I had been eating a bag of chips a day or mcdonalds etc. I would not have just spent 100+$ to come and ask her what was wrong because I would have already known what the answer was.

Needless to say I got a new doc.

I too find that I dont eat much -- I eat one big meal and the rest of the day next to nothing.
  7. jole

jole Member

At first I lost about 25 pounds, and looked very anorexic. But the past year I have gained it all back and more. Wish I knew why, because my eating pattern hasn't changed, and neither have my meds. That's what's so frustrating.

I too eat small portions oftener, because I just can't eat very much yet feel hungry. Try to eat those veggies and fruits in between, but even that turns into fat these days.
  8. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I have CFS and not Fibro. Since about June I have put on about 30 lbs. I've been heavy my whole life, but I have always been stable in my weight. Couldn't lose, but didn't gain. Since June my thyroid has not been functioning up to par with current supplements and since September I have been on medical leave from work and in bed daily. Between my thyroid and lack of exercise I sure have put on the weight. I hate this because being so stable in weight I haven't had the problem of clothes not fitting before.
  9. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Hello...30 pounds here within 3-4 months. I wear a lot of sweat pants now none of my clothes fit. I am not buying new clothes because I keep thinking I will get it off!

Good Luck

Jessica
    VA
  10. rinaldo

rinaldo New Member

Hi I have gained at least l5lbs in the last year. My doctor dosent take me seriously because i went from ll5 to 125 but im only 5'2 and have never weighted over 110. Im not sure if its menapause or fibro and fatigue or both.
  11. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

or at least I feel that way. I berate myself all the time about it. I totally blame myself not even the disease. I just started Lyrica which has helped the pain somewhat and Provigil to give me energy to exercise. You may want to try this. But don't feel bad, you're not alone.
  12. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

Oprah has this Dr. on all the time, his name is Dr. Mahmet Oz and he just wrote a book called YOU ON A DIET. While a lot of it doesnt pertain to patients like us (obviously it talks a lot about the importance of exercise) he actually spends a great deal of the book talking about inflamation as a cause of weight gain, belly fat being stress related, and some of the new drugs that are available.

My theory and obviously its just that is that FM and CFS/ME patients are so taxed out from pain, fatigue etc. that stress is greater for us which triggers the body to hold on to things, especially when our bodies are already misreading so many internal signals. I would recommend the book -- I know that when I get my medicare I am going to look at some of those drugs at least as someone else suggested if at least for 3 months to see if they might work.

I would recommend the book, at the library its free.
  13. acheallover

acheallover New Member

To important to drop.
  14. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I gained 30 pounds, within months of taking Amitryptline, I have been on this for a long time, but I did go off it for a while and lost weight. I started back on it due to Fibro, and gained the weight right back. I am not very active either, I used to love playing outdoor games in the summer, but no longer have that to look forward to. Any suggestions on easy outside games, that we can handle? Without a lot of bending, using arms, bad knees, and whatever else.

Take Care all, you are not alone.
    SB
  15. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

We all have the pain and it is sooo hard to excersise. Try water, but dont overdo it. Ive gained soo much weight and I keep eating less and nothing happens. Im on 30 prescriptions a day and when I read the inserts, at least 75% say weight gain as a side effect so what should we expect.

Its hard enough trying to fight pain everyday without the stigma of being overweight too. When people see us, they see a normal looking fat person who just must be lazy to have let themselves go like that and if they would lose weight, every thing would be ok.

Suzette
  16. momholl

momholl New Member

I also have thyroid problems, but I've gained 75 pounds in last 18 months. I've been trying to exercise minimally; haven't gained any more, but haven't lost any either.
  17. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Gained about 40 after the onset and 10 years later another 25 or so after starting cymbalta. I've been on Max dose for a year and can't drop a pound..
  18. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

I've gained about 30 lbs... oh, wait, maybe it's more like 40... since I got CFS 5 years ago (and FM 2 years ago). I've started walking a lot, which is kind of difficult with very poor balance, light-headedness, and pain, but I've lost 10 lbs since the beginning of January just by doing that.

Oh, and also by cutting out all junk food (boo hoo!), and eating salads and fish 5 nights a week.

I've got to lose this bulk... it's difficult enough for me to get around, and this extra poundage is like carrying a child around all the time!
  19. moab341

moab341 New Member

I had no weight issues and had even lost weight when all this hit.
    Now I feel bloated all the time and cannot stand to wear anything tight or fitted. My skin feels so tight, and my eyes even swell up.
    It could be from the Neurontin I suppose, but I was taking that a long time before I started to gain weight, so I doubt that's it.
    It's when the symptoms really hit me that I started to gain.

I eat less than ever, and still I can't lose.
    It's maddening and hopefully this new Rhuemy I am going to the 26th can shed some light on it for me.

If I'm going to be over weight I should at least get the pleasure of eating all the junk I never eat!!
    If I did that, I hate to think what I'd look like!!

It's just not fair at all.
  20. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

Many of the meds used in treating us are causing weight gain. Many of those handout information that comes with the meds don't have to mention that as a side effect but when I've asked my Doctor, he has said "yes, it does make many of my patients gain weight". I gained over 100 lbs on effexor and when I went off it...I lost it just they way it piled on naturally without dieting etc. Now I've been on sarquel and dang it all...I'm gaining again! Just went off that. I told the Dr that I have a closet with sizes that would make you think your in Hudson's but the weight is problematic to your health too! He agreed so we will keep searching to find the right combination to bring me back to where I was before the weight gain.