has massage helped you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

i'm thinking of trying to get off of my butt and fight this crud.... This is after my E.R. visit this past weekend. Okay, maybe the prednisone is helping a tiny bit.

I am sick of crying over all of this... sooooo.. just wondering if massage has helped any of you and if so, how often you go. I am thinking about doing it and maybe the chiropractor, although I feel like my neck would break if he adjusted it (creaking feeling in that all of the time.

Sorry - I am trying to fight this instead of feeling like I am throwing in the towel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and Hugs :) Kim
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad but I appreciate the spirit of fight you've expressed. Fighting this illness (while at the same time accepting it - I know that sounds like a paradox but it's true) is from my experience the best attitude to carry.

I, for one, like massage therapy but you will likely hear many differing reports from people with fibromyalgia. I usually go once a month, more if I'm having a particularly difficult time and I opt for a deep-tissue massage with trigger point work. Finding the right massage therapist is critical. You may need to try a few until you find one that's beneficial.

What generally happens is I feel sore for a day or two following the massage, then when the initial soreness eases up, my range of motion is much improved and I feel overall better for a week or more.

I used to go for chiropractic adjustments with varying degrees of success but as my fibromyalgia worsened the adjustments became too painful to endure and caused a major flare-up every time.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

and it seems to help my Fibro pain. I go again on Friday and can't wait.

TxSongBird
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I get a message pretty much on a regular basis.....usually every 2 weeks. I have found that the deep tissue works for me and I do feel better for a couple of days after. But eventually, my muscles tighten back up for what ever reason and am ready for another message long before my next scheduled appointment.

What I get is not the kind where you just lie back and go into complete bliss. Rather it is more like a work-out almost. Though I do feel relaxed afterwards, it's sometimes a bit painful during the therapy. But I do find it VERY benificial.
  5. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

and yes they can be somewhat painful, but it still feels good to have those muscles release. It is really a good workout and I do hurt somewhat afterwards, but usually the next day I feel better and have more range of movements, especially in my arms and shoulders.

TxSongBird
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Here's the perfect example of everyone being different.

I find help from my chiro but cannot tolerate massage now that FM has reared its head along with CFS.

A word of advice on chiropractic and FM or CFS: they shouldn't "twist" your body (neck is OK). A good chiro will know that. The other thing for me is that they're trained to talk and distract you. That doesn't work for me. When I'm communicating, I'm tense. Now my chiro usually remembers to be quiet so I can breath deeply and relax before he does my neck. If he forgets, I remind him to give me a count of three! I pretend I'm floating on the water and..........breathe....breathe..... breathe.

You'll be the best judge for yourself but I do like your attitude! I've rallied with the same reasoning. No poopy illness is going to take my life away from me any longer if there's anything I have to say about it at all. It may take awhile, after all it's been 11 years, but when the FM began I decided that was THAT. Stay tuned. At least I will have tried.

Marta