Has RNY Gastric By-Pass helped your FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ShirleyValentine42, Feb 10, 2006.

1. ShirleyValentine42

ShirleyValentine42 New Member

I will be having RNY Gastric By-pass surgery within the next 6 months and would like to hear from others who have had the surgery and how it affected your Fibro pain. Were you able to cut back on pain meds after losing weight?
    TIA
  2. Tuckspal

Tuckspal New Member

Hi there!

As we all know each of us with FM are as alike as we are different. I used to weigh over 320 pounds. How I got that large was a real shocker. I really thought I was being sensible by not eating "that much" so how come I gained all that weight? For one thing, perhaps I wasn't eating large portions, but what I was eating was all wrong. Too many carbs, eating in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep......
    Finally, I got to the point where since I had lymphedema in my legs my legs were leaking lymphatic fluid and I was having all kinds of bowel and bladder troubles. To make a long story short, I needed major abdominal surgery ASAP but they didn't want to do it with me weighing so much. So in July I had a Roux en Y gastric byppass to get the weight off fast. It has been the best thing all around that I could have done for myself! My pain is less, my blood pressure is normal so I don't have to take medication for that. A few words of caution: They can make your stomach smaller but if you are still eating a diet high in calories, fats and carbohydrates you can easily put that weight right back on. Keep up your protein and vitamin intake too. If you'd like to write back, feel free to do so.

Good luck!
    Sharon
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have a few questions ...

1. Did you have to see a cardiologist, phyciologist, etc. before your surgeon would do the surgery?

2. Were you already on Medicare when you had it? Did they pay most of your expenses? Did you have a secondary that picked up the balance?

3. After losing 150 pounds, do you have a lot of hanging loose skin? I've seen people on Oprah, etc. that have that problem. If so, does Medicare pay to have further surgeries to remove the excess skin?

4. Can you eat any sweets at all now--say, in small amounts or like a moderate size piece of cake?

5. Did you have any problems afterwards?

6. How long were you hospitalized for the surgery?

Thanks,
    Janet
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i work as a nurse and i would caution people not to take bypass surgery lightly as their can be many dangers with that. it is however very effective, just make sure you wiegh the risks and benefits. a newer surgery, the lap-band, is less common here in the u.s. it has been done in other countries for a long time and is just starting to become popular here. it is a much less invasive surgery and is just as effective. if any of you are considering wieght loss surgery you may want to consider this type as an option as it is proving to be safer and just as effective.
    rachel