Has taking guaifenision helped anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kingd2, Aug 20, 2008.

1. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

I have recently relocated to a different state, and am seeing a new Dr.He suggested I try taking guaifeninson, he said that some fibro patients have had a possitive reduction of symtoms.He also told me there were no side effects. Has anyone had a positive improvement of symtoms, especialy pain? If so I would appreciate any information positive or negative.
  2. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

Thank you for the information. I will check out the website.
  3. ChyC

ChyC New Member

I had to stop after 2 and 1/2 years but also realized that I needed to do an detox to help flush out toxins. I do an low detox ans have found it has helped me the same as the guai [for short]. What I do take does the same thing that the guai does and it helps my immune system also. I take greens+ everyday and do an flushing once a week. I also heard years ago that marshmallow root also does the same as the quai do.

Any way you go it can help and I go for "slow and less painful "flushing or detox" either one means the same as I have come to find out.

Hope this helps.
  4. padre

padre New Member

I started on it after attending a conference at Harvard Medical School where I heard about it. I have been taking it for a number of years. I do not take it as part of the prototcol. For me it may be a placebo, although my pharmasist went to a continuing education event and reported on studies that show it has few side effects and is actually a mild muscle relaxer. While I do feel worse when I do not take it, it also helps my sinuses to drain.

I use the controlled release type at 2 per day and it is not cheap.

Will it work for you? Let me suggest that at the very least you have lucked out and found a doctor who has done some homework and cares enough to have you try it. Sounds like a good deal to me.
  5. judd02

judd02 New Member

I tried this course of action, and I have never been so sick in my entire life. My body was engulfed in pain and I was throbbing everywhere I have any connective tissue! I have steered clear of ANY medication or supplement that has guaifenision as one of the ingredients.

A friend of mine - under the care of a doctor- went through this regiment of taking guifenision. She handled it for a week or two then had to stop. She was absolutely miserable. She was in a lot of pain and ached everywhere in her body too.

My advice is to research the doctor's advice very carefully before starting. Perhaps you will be one of the lucky ones.
  6. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I found out that this is actually musenex that is used for colds and mucous.