Has this happened to anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foxyartist, Jan 18, 2006.

1. foxyartist

foxyartist New Member

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I was here but I have a question. I had my teeth cleaned 6 months ago. Within two days of the cleaning, my entire mouth was killing me - gums were hurting and every tooth in my mouth felt like the nerves were raw and that I had 28 toothaches. It lasted for 5 months! It was excruciating - anything slightly cold or hot, any pressure from chewing, even air coming in my mouth was KILLING my teeth - I even lost some weight from not being able to chew (the only good part!). Analgesics only helped slightly and temporarily. I went back to the dentist after about 2 months of it. He was stumped because my teeth are fine and my gums are healthy. There were no signs of gum inflammation at all - just all the nerve pain. When he found out I had Fibro, he thought that maybe the cleaning acted as a "trigger" to start all my teeth hurting. He gave me a special prescription antiseptic mouthwash, just in case, but it did nothing, so I stopped using it. I asked the opinion also of my endocrinologist and regular doctor and they both think the dentist could be right - that the cleaning triggered the pain for months. Then, one day, I woke up and it started to go away and was almost gone by the next morning, then disappeared completely by the end of the day, never to return! Tomorrow I'm due for another cleaning and dreading any repeat. The doctor and the dentist both advised that I try some antibiotics and also take analgesics for a few days during and after the cleaning, so I'm hoping I don't have a repeat. Has anyone ever had such an experience? Thanks, Tina
  2. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I had some kind of weird stuff going on before--I went to the dentist POSITIVE I had some mouth trama or cavity and told him what tooth hurt. He found nothing--not even a filling. Stumped the denist! But I've never had my ENTIRE mouth hurt--OUCH! I feel for you!!!
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This happened to me last time I had my teeth cleaned. I haven't gone back for the next cleaning as I didn't want to go through it again. It was awful. Your story sounds pretty much the same as mine. I think I will be going to once a year cleaning.
  4. foxyartist

foxyartist New Member

Thanks for your replies! I find it interesting that one of the stories is so much like my own. I will let everyone know if the doctor recommended regimen for this cleaning works, so others can use it if they had this problem! Thanks again
  5. justjae

justjae New Member

i had a similar experience. only after my cleaning, mine started on the left side, upper molars for a few weeks, then the left lower teeth for several more weeks. i couldnt sleep at nite the pain was so bad. i had no cavities, nothing. my dentist did put me on an antibiotic just incase, but it didnt help me. he was thinking some kind of facial neuralgia. mine didnt last for 5 months thank goodness, probably less then 2 months. i havent went back for my next cleaning either for fear of a repeat incident. interesting that we are not the only ones.
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Tina,
    That hasn't happened to me, but I want to say somethiing about teeth ceaning.

I have a heart murmur and also can't take antibiotics, so I can't have my teeth cleaned by the dentist. I brush carefully and floss 3-4 times a day. My teeth are clean and healthy (except for Fibro ).

If you suffer the same pain again, you might consider going every year instead of every 6 months. Just an idea.

Good Luck,
    Terry
  7. zena01

zena01 New Member

I feel for you! I also have a terrible time at the dentist as anything I have done causes terrible pain -- even a simple cleaning. I had a root canal a couple of years ago...and had horrible intense pain for 8 days. I missed work, cried, and moaned and ate percocet and I had always had a high pain threshold. It was some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Finally I ended up having an oral surgeon removed the tooth. I had immediate total relief. The soreness left over from the removal felt so good.

I went just last Thursday to have another root canal. I don't know if it was because of the prior intense pain or what -- I was totally fine through the shots and everything until they put in the dental dam thing which I have had many times. As soon as they got it all in, I had a panic attack from not feeling like I could swallow and sat up and clawed at my face to get it out. I have never in my life been unable to do something like this before and was so embarrassed.

The dentist said that he can't do it and i will have to go to a dentist that does it with an IV -- I was going to have enough problems paying for this and I can't imagine what that would cost. I suppose I will have to have the tooth removed -- it is in the back and won't show, but I really wanted to keep it!!

I had also never had a total panic attack before so I'm a bit worried about that as well.

Here is an address for a paper by a couple of re-searchers that's written for Dentists who work on people like us. It is a pretty cool article, and talks about pain with cleaning, and what root canals can be like.

http://www.sover.net/~devstar/dentist.pdf

I am so glad yours stopped hurting and good luck with your next cleaning!!

Sherri
  8. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I had a complicated root canal last month, and it triggered one of the worst flares of my life -- I was in the chair for 6 hours (spread out over 2 days) -- and I still have one more appointment to go -- I'm dreading the potential flare up from this last appointment, but I'm already missing 2 teeth, and can't afford to lose another...

Sorry about your horrible experience --hope you make it though your next cleaning without problems!
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

will agree to professional cleaning. I get a kit at drug store with the polish and all and do my own and have no teeth problems. Prior I used to get awful symptoms inc. TMJ. Dentists don't like it as a lot let hygeinist do the initial exam for them which relaly I don't like either-the dentist should be doing the exam so he can be sure of cancers etc. I find hygienists just spend too long pressing on jaws and such,m the little battery operated kits or even elctric toothbrushes with polishing heads work very well.
    Crom