Hashimotos and C.F.S

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patchwork, Feb 18, 2003.

1. patchwork

patchwork New Member

Hi There, has anyone with C.F.S who also has Hashimotos felt better once they started synthyroid?? My Thyroid is quite inflammed but my blood tests are still withim normal range.(fluctuate a lot) Should I push for treatment???
  2. sb439

sb439 New Member

I also have hashimotos and CFIDS, hence wouldn't mind knowing about success with synthroid treatment. (Or with T3 treatment).
    Susanne
    patchwork - if noone responds, you could try changing the heading to 'anybody with cfs success with synthroid?' or something.[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2003]
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello, I might not be the best responder and I have Hashimoto's and FMS. I have used both Synthroid and Armour Thyroid...one med is just one of the hormones and one is T3 and T4. I do better with the combo. Some of the classic thyroid type symptoms have gotten better as a result...not gone, just better...just like the disease. We are just treating symptoms. I think it is worth treating in the early stages.

Take care,
    Jan
  4. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

and recently diagnosed with Hashimoto. My thyroid was abnormally small on one side and enlarged on the other. My bloodwork was normal that month also. I am on sythroid but I think it is too early to tell. I have put on 37 lbs since March! So when the weight starts dropping I'll let you know (I have always been on the skinny side). Been on meds for about 8 weeks.
  5. lilwren

lilwren New Member

it will be. I have CFS and Hashimoto's and I tried Synthroid without any change, and before that Unithroid. Soooo, several months ago I switched to Armour Thyroid. I started at 15 mgs and built up to 60 mgs – for about a week I felt ‘better’, relatively, and then it just seemed to stop working. I saw a new doc last month and she said to increase it to 120 mgs, so I increased it 15 mgs a week until I got to 120. I wish I could say I feel better, but I just feel ‘different’ – maybe a little more energy, less pain in my legs when I walk and stand, and a little less cold all the time, but otherwise the same old crap – pain, weakness, aches, sweats, muscle spasms, brain fog, etc.. I’m still unable to participate in life! The little bit of extra energy the thyroid replacement gives me just makes it more depressing for me because all the other symptoms keep me from doing anything. I have such severe arm pain and weakness I can barely do laundry or cook. Looking back at my diary I see that it’s only been two weeks since I got the dose up to 120 mgs – who knows maybe it hasn’t been long enough. I say if it’s not detrimental – try it! These DD’s seem to be personal trial and error for everyone. Good luck Patchwork.

Love,

Sharon L