Hashimotos & Fatigue & Depression-HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by florenceb, Sep 14, 2004.

1. florenceb

florenceb New Member

I just gotta vent. I cannot take it ....My fatigue is horrible (bedridden since Jan)....FINALLY a dr/endo tested my thyroid antibodies and told me they were above 2,000...I had been taking Armour thyroid since January after researching about fatigue, depression,etc.

I do not think I have CFS-it was ruled out.
    Anyone with Hashi's and depression? Nothing is helping the depression....I have read of women with thyroid disease who have committed suicide. I have a GREAT P-doc but nothing is helping.
    Does anyone with HASHI's have success with a specific kind of antidepressant...?? I am trying to increase my Armour thyroid but I do not see the SLIGHTEST improvement with energy or mood.

Anyone take T3 (Cytomel)? I need input PLEASE!
    To complicate things, a sinus infection showed up on an MRI I had so I had to take more pills:antibiotics; then of course a yeast infection followed. I don't really have sinus problems or allergies. I am trying to cut down on pills! It always seems to get worse and I am trying so hard to feel better.

End of vent. Who has HASHIMOTO'S and DEPRESSION and what do you take that works?
  2. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I was dx'ed with Hashimotos in early 1999. I developed a large goiter. Tried to give me meds to shrink it but to no avail. The thing grew HUGE. When I had an MRI done on it you could actually see that the goiter had started to grow down into my chest and you could see my wind pipe pushed over to the side. Sooo, had to have my entire thyroid out by the end of that year. And to answer your question.

Yes, I sure did experience depression and fatigue. OVERWHELMING fatigue. For my lack of thyroid I was out on Synthroid for that. For the depression I was put on Zoloft first. Had side effects to that. Especially sexual ones if you know what I mean. Prozac made me feel weird. Like I was in a fog all day. Also sexual side effects with that also.

Was then put on Wellbutrin. I'm on the Wellbutrin XL now and have been doing great on it. And have had no side effects whatsoever.
  3. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

Dx'd with Hashi's and Fibro in June of this year. Rheumy started me on 30mg Armour and I am now up to 120mg and still am seeing no improvement. How much Armour are you on?

I did good on Prozac, but read it can interfere with the Armour so I switched to Effexor XR. I tried Wellbutrin and did not do well at all on it. I have also read it can make hypothyroid people over-anxious, it just made me weird.

I am not really answering your question am I as I still don't feel well either. I wish I knew the answer. Do you have FMS too?
  4. minimommie

minimommie New Member

I have hashimotos, type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with FM yesterday.

I have tried every anti-depressant. Prozac worked for me for a long time, but I think I took it for so long that it just quit working. I have tried Lexapro, which didn't work at all, and now I am on Wellbutrin XL 300, which seems to be working pretty good.

I think alot of my depression comes from my FM and the fatigue that goes along with it. The Rhuemy that I saw yesterday is trying to find something to help me sleep better and to get rid of some of the muscle spasms.

I take synthroid for the hashi's.

I hope you get some relief soon!!! Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

(((Hugs))))
    Mini
  5. zoe12

zoe12 New Member

Hi florenceb,
    I have depression, Hashimoto's, sjogren's syndrome, and fibro (listed in order of diagnosis).

For the Hashi., I take Synthroid.

For depression: Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Trazadone. It has taken a long time, but I am slowly feeling better. And I mean s-l-o-w-l-y. It's happening, though.

For the Sjogren's/fibro: I've been taking Salagen for mouth dryness. My rheumy is switching me to something else that he says will also help with the fibro. Can't remember the name. Also I use artificial tears for my eyes, and I have punctal plugs in my lower tear ducts. Tears don't provide any real comfort; just a temporary blast that lasts maybe 2-3 min. My ophthal. says the next step is immunosuppressive drops.

Was Jan. the first time your doc checked your thyroid antibodies? And have you had the antibodies checked lately? Maybe you need to have your thy. med. dosage adjusted. My endo. has me come in quarterly for blood tests. Or maybe you would do better on a different thy. drug. It seems to be a trial-and-error thing because everyone is different. But the important thing for you to know is that you may have some options. What's worse than feeling lousy and feeling stuck there, hopeless?

I hope you will tell your thy. doc how you're feeling. You've been doing the same thing for 9 months with no improvement; your doc needs to know it's time to try something else!

Good luck to you,
    zoe12

6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

just an FYI on Hashi issues from yrs ago. <BR>
    <BR>
    I don't think any of the people on this post are<BR>
    around so I'll not make any comments....