Hashimoto's hypothyroidism question....??? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, Jan 29, 2006.

1. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Those of you who have hypothyroidism, when you started taking synthoid (or whatever medication) for this, did your FM symptoms go away? I was reading on this website and ended up on an autoimmune disease symptom site to find out that most of my symptoms are the same as Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which suggests that I could be cured by taking thyroid medication. Just checking and hoping for a breakthrough.
    Hopeful, Janice
  2. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have hashimoto's but my labs for thyroid are fine so I am not on any meds. I do wonder though if they would help. Anyway, hope you get some answers.
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

Hi Janice,

Have you been tested for Hypothyroidism? If you are having hypothyroid symptoms, perhaps you could ask your physician if he would do a sensitive TSH test and test for Thyroid Antibodies. Just a warning make sure you are referred to an Endocrinologist who is up on the latest guidelines, these Endo's are very hard to come by though. The guidelines for TSH levels of patients being treated for TD changed a few years ago and the majority of physicians and labs have yet to go within the guidelines. With Hashimoto's they can not go by TSH alone.

I find that I do better when my levels are good (everyone has their levels which they feel better at), I am not as tired and my hair doesn't fall out as much. Unfortunately so many these symptoms are often overlapping and I have a difficult time telling what is going and now I have a Pituitary Gland issue going on, so I am trying to learn more.

I do not swell with FMS (it just feel like I am swollen) and I do when it is my Hashimoto's, I get hoarse with Hashi's and do not with FMS. I am just referring to my own symptoms. For myself I never had a puffy face, dry skin, or hoarse voice when I am having an FMS flare, however I do have fatigue and IBS with both although with Hashi's it is more constipation.

I would definitely discuss this issue with my physician and ask for a TSH level at the very least.

I wish you the best of luck,

Karen

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I do think it is related to FM pain. I have never had to take meds, as what happens to me is the thyroid grows a new nodule on the left side to compensate, the right side is burned out. At some stage I may have to take meds. A friend with the same disorder just had her whole thyroid removed as she could not take the swings between being hyper and hypo which can happen with Hashimotos. For me I just have a low grade thyroiditis with it. Hope this helps.
    Anne
  5. amberini

amberini New Member

If it were that easy, sigh.

By now I am sure you have read enough to know just how sensitive we FM/CFS people can be in regards to medications. The same goes for thyroid medications. Finding the right one takes some trial and error.

With Hashimoto's thyroiditis being an autoimmune disease, I don't think there is a "cure", there is management.
    It will require you to have some blood work done to check for thyroid antibodies and to see what your free T3 and T4 levels are. Most doctors only check your levels and don't do the antibody testing. I also have a positive ANA, speckled pattern, which helps define whats going on with my immune system.

I have taken Synthroid in the past even adding Cytomel but it wasn't until I switched to a new doctor and tried Armour that I felt a difference. I cannot say that it was all related to the new medication because the doctor found two stealth infections and was able to clear that up with 2 weeks of Cipro.

I had spent years with a regular Internist who did the bare minimum of thyroid testing. She only treated by the test results without any regard to my symptoms. I finally went to a holistic physican who listened.

But to answer your original question, I was not cured by thyroid medicine. But changing medication was a positive step.
  6. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have hashimoto with anti bodies and ANA, but my T4 is 8.9,T3 is 29.6% and TSH 0.89. According to the ranges provided I am within.
  7. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Janice...gee, my doctor was so excited when he found out that I had Hashimoto's as it causes the same symptoms as FMS. He called it a "slam-dunk" and believed that curing the Hash's would be the ticket. I was symptom-free for 1 month after I began the Synthroid/Cytomel. He and we were so EXCITED!!!

And then...the FMS all came back. He didn't have an explanation for the month of symptom-free life...we were all so disappointed. That has been over 10 years ago.

I continue to have him monitor my thyroid. He is an endocrinologist who is truly interested in helping me. But so far, no luck. I hope it truly IS the answer for you!!! Blessings...Ann
  8. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

The new guidelines are 0.3 to 3
    Most labs will be 0.5 to 5.0
    They will vary, some.