Have a female problem, need some input (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Feb 25, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I am planning on calling my gynecologist Monday, but I am worried. (I am a worry wart. I always need to have some idea what is going on with me.)

I have been having yeast infections, been using OTC medicines. My GYN called in a one dose cream treatment that I used Wed. night. I really didn't even have that bad of a yeast infection. Okay, I took a bath on Thursday, got out of the tub, and felt a type of thrush feeling down there, sort of a warm feeling, that lasted for an hour or so. I felt a little uncomfortable. Yesterday it felt pretty much normal. My husband and I had intercourse, and that night I felt a little itchy. (It also hurt A LOT!) SO, today I wake up and have a weird rash that I have never had that just appeared overnight, have had excessive discharge, some of it bloody, it soaks my underwear, and am just really sore and irritated. It hurts to bend over, even move.

What the heck is going on? Does anyone have any idea at all? I am almost positive my husband is yeast-free, by the way. Could I have an infection?

I am almost in tears typing this!!! I am so frustrated and miserable. I wish I had never even used the prescription. It obviously made things worse and I am out $45.00. I know this is a long post, but I need some help :(

Thanks,

Deena
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2006]
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

The one-dose meds are strong. You may have had a reaction. I know another girl who got worse after using a one-dose cream. Also, having sex might not have been a good idea as you were already irritated. That might be where the blood is coming from. Do you have a medline of some sort through your insurance company where you can talk to an RN? If not, I don't think you need to wait until Monday to call the doc. That's too long to be that miserable.

I used to have yeast infections all the time. I started taking AZO Yeast every day and it has really helped me. It has boneset in it as its main ingredient.

Take care of yourself. Don't wait too long. Don't be too sure your husband is yeast-free. I had a problem for awhile with my husband passing the infection back to me and he had no symptoms. The doctor treated him anyway and the passing back and forth stopped.

Take care,

Linda
  3. livin4him

livin4him New Member

To me it sounds like a yeast infection, I don't know what the cream was, but I always take diflucan, its just one pill. Sounds like you may need a regimen of them, if that is the case. Also, it may be vaginal atrophy, I'm not sure what your situation is, but for me, some of the same symptoms happened after my hysterectomy. When I had this, the doctor prescribed some vaginal hormones. It cured it.

Hope this helps. By the way, the creams never helped me, only made it worse.
  4. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

What are the symptoms of a yeast infection for men? What tests would they do on my husband? He doesn't have any discharge or any symptoms that I know of.

By the way, even my rectum is sore!! Can yeast cause a rash down there?

A little background: I am 29, no gyn problems really. Just stupid yeast infections.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Deena
  5. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

Yes, from what I have read on the internet yeast can cause a rash, I have never had one there just intestinal. If you are not better tomorrow you probably should go to the ER or call the hospital for advice.
  6. this could be...
    maybe you have a tear in your womens department,it can happen if your partner is a bit rough with you when doing foreplay.you know,if they have longish dirty finger nails n such.this tear can get infected,so its wise to get checked out by a doctor.this did happen to me many years ago.also one time i had a cyst on my cervix and it needed removing..so get checked out..please keep us informed about what is found to be wrong with you.

kind regards
    fran xx
  7. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Sometimes I feel like the authority on yeast infections as I had one almost constantly for nearly 7 years. A yesst infection can affect your rectal area quite easily. If you look up some sites on the internet you can fine pictures of yeast rashes that cover parts of the body you might never has suspected. At one point when I was battling these infections I got one on my scalp.

The symptoms of a yeast infection for a male rarely involve discharge. Perhaps some redness or itching, but most likely no symptoms at all. If your husband is not circumcised it makes the likelihood of him getting the infection even greater.

Call your doctor. I know what a terrible feeling this is. You can try sitting in a warm oatmeal bath to sooth the irritation. My dr. recommended that to me so it should be all right for you too I would think. I think it is Aveeno that sells the packets that are made for baths.

I forgot to say this before: They would either give your husband a Diflucan or have him put the cream on his private parts. Nothing scary!

Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  8. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I feel quite a bit better today. Still a little uncomfortable, no real pain though. I am having a little discharge, not near as much, but I am wearing a pad. I will have my hubby take me to the store to get some Aveeno to take an Oatmeal bath. My rash is better today, yeahh!!

Since I am better, I am just going to wait and call first thing in the morning.

My hubby is insistent that he DOES not have a yeast infection, even though he was not aware that men could even get them until I informed him last night. I keep nagging him though and am going to make him sit down and do some WebMD research. I told him he could just be passing this to me over and over again.

You guys are so great. Bless you all!!!

Love,

Deena
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Deena,
    I have read that cinnamon has some anti-fungal properties in it and I have been using 2400 mg. a day of that for other reasons.

I used to get yeast infections as soon as I would stop the med. Finally the doctor put me on pills for it. I finally figured out it was from my diabetes not being controlled and that was in the 80's. Back then I didn't have a meter to check my sugar readings like I do now. Plus now I'm on insulin.

I rarely get one anymore. My body is more into thrush now. lol

Your husband can give you yeast and you could be giving it back and forth.

I think what I would do is to see your GYN and see if she can't do tests to make sure that is what it is and not another type of infection.

I have had several of the other infections. Also I've had problems washing too hard in that area even with mild soap. It just can irritate. So I have to be careful to rinse well after a bath.

Hon, it isn't a long post and even if it was, we don't care. ;-)

The main thing is to find some relief for you. Right now I think your best bet is to use some of the vaginal anti-yeast cream for itching relief now until you can see your GYN. I like the Monistat and I use the 3 day treatment. Hubby buys it for me and I always have some here, just in case.

I do know what you are going through and hope you will feel better. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Deena,
    Yeast can get INTO your bladder and cause problems and you can get it around your rectum too.

This is why one needs to treat it as soon as you have the symptoms. But the yeast symptoms mimic a lot of other infections too.

I had one that I can't spell and hubby and I both had to take a med for it. That was when we had just gotten married and I just found out I was pregnant. I had yeast and another infection.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I had a yeast infection one time and the doctor prescribed something for it (before they were sold over the counter) and I had an allergic reaction to it. It was awful. It burned and itched way inside. I know, to much information. But then we tried something else and I was o.k.

Cute story: The guy I was seeing at the time felt so bad for me that we would just lie in bed and he would rub my tummy because he knew I was hurting. He was so understand and wonderful... so why did I ever let him leave? Hmmm.

Allergic reactions to that kind of med is very common.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

It's a good thing that you have a doc. appt. on Monday. Your doc should know what is wrong.

Like someone else said, when you've been having problems, I would not have intercourse ... until everything has been cleared up and feeling good for a few days.

If you get yeast infections fairly often, you might want to check and see if you have diabetes. Diabetics always get frequent infections if their sugar is out of control--or if your sugar is high and you don't know that you are diabetic.

Hope the doc can help you out on Monday.

Hugs,
    Janet
  13. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Let us know how you're doing today. I have dealt with this problem for so long I feel for you. I know what it is like.

Tell hubby that, yes, he can have a yeast infection and quite possibly not even have any symptoms. My husband is proof of that. It is NOT a female only problem. It is more of an imbalance problem and it can happen to anyone.

Hope the oatmeal bath soothed you. Diflucan never worked for me, but I know girls who swear by it. I even took it in large amounts such as three a day for three days, two a day for three days and one a day for 14 days. Still had a problem.

AZO yeast is a staple in my house now. It contains boneset, mistletoe leaf and lactobacillus. I take one a day every day. You can take three a day if you start to get an infection. After about three days the problem should be gone and you can go back to one a day. I know other women who do the same thing and swear by it. There is another message board I go on sometimes and I have recommended it there and others tried it and liked it. You can get it at Target or WalMart for about $6 for 60 pills. It is near the other yeast infection medications.

I hope you do call the doc and start feeling better real soon.

Linda
  14. lana33

lana33 New Member

I also had a lot of yeast infections while in my late teens to early 20s. I by accident had a lady doc while I was in the military tell me that all the deoderant tampons, feminine sprays, etc. cause problems with some women.

I stopped all unnatural products and never had another yeast infection. I am not saying this is you. Everybody is different. Also, if you douche, use vinegar and water. I take probiotics each day like some of the ladies here were saying.

I also was told that you can place acidophylus tabs into the vagina and get rid of yeast infection that way. I also take yeast-cleanse supplement. Just in case there is yeast inside my body, after hearing so much about it here.

Hope you get relief soon.

Hugs,
    Lana
  15. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Still waiting to hear from my doctor. I called at 8:30, and it is now 12:40. I am itching a lot. The oatmeal didn't really soothe it too much. It kind of made it itch more? The discharge is really gross still.

Beware, a little venting: Ever since I got married and moved to this town (smaller than Little Rock and about an hour away) doctors who work in these offices don't get in any hurry to try and help you. I told my husband I would hate to see if I was really really sick and needed help right away. Funny, he says when he has been sick they call him back RIGHT away. In Little Rock most doctors called you back within an hour if it was an urgent call, and usually if you called in the morning they called you by noon before they went to lunch. (I used to work in a doctor's office there.) Here they seem to not give a rat's behind. My GP here took 3 DAYS (yes 3 days) to call me back. I was having a very scary reaction to Cymbalta. I had just seen him two days before and he gave me an RX for it, and I stopped it and called them all I needed was them to call me in my usual Lexapro. I was pretty sick and very hard to live with by the time they finally called it in.

Sorry to ramble on and on. I just don't understand. I know it hasn't been THAT long since I left the message but I am just imagining the 3 Day wait with them and it is making my BP just go up, and I am pretty miserable right now, and feel helpless.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  16. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Did you ever hear from the doctor? I'm sorry the oatmeal bath did not sooth you. I certainly didn't intend to give you advice that made you feel worse.

I have also used tea tree oil for this problem. Wet a Q-tip first with water and then dip it into the oil. If you use the oil straight it can burn, burn, burn.

Wipe the infected area with the Q-tip. It smells kind of like Vicks Vaporub and I have even felt that I could taste it after using it down there. Not sure what that means.

If you haven't heard from your doctor, you need to go to the office or perhaps to a different doctor.

Linda
  17. kat-E

kat-E New Member

Did your doc do a culture to see if it is yeast for sure?

Does your discharge have an odor to it?, if it smells at all fish like it is a bacterial infection not yeast.

If it is foamy, it is a parasitic infection.

If you are prone to yeast infections...

Wear only white cotton undies. Wash them in hot water and iron them to kill any residual yeasties.

Wash with a very mild soap (ie johnson and johnsons head to toe) or just rinse with water

Probiotics are always a good idea... Jarro-dophilus or threelac PLEASE look into them

Wash undies with a dye free fragrance free detergent

DO NOT take a bath... yeast thrives in warm moist environments
    Take a shower

If you are not Positive your infection has cleared up, use a condom to avoid passing yeast back and forth with your husband

You are always better off using a 7 day cream than the one day according to my GYN.

You can ask doc for diflucan if you have no liver issues, but diflucan only decreases the yeast it does not get rid of it completely

It is always best to avoid any sugars including dairy (lactose is a sugar) and fruit and sugar substitutes during treatment.

Wear more skirts than pants or jeans.

I hope this helps some.

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2006]
  18. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

It was almost 5:00 when the nurse called me back. She wanted to know what my symptoms were exactly. I told her and she said that they needed to do a culture. So I have to go in tomorrow afternoon to see the nurse practitioner. I don't like her because when I saw her last, which was for the first time, she asked me after seeing me for two minutes, why are you on Lexapro? You are pretty, you don't work, your husband is a physical therapist, you have nothing to be depressed about. She also sort of suggested that my husband might be cheating after knowing me all of 5 minutes!!!! I was highly offended. Not only is that none of her business, but I trust my husband completely, more than I have ever trusted any man I have ever known and I am not one to trust men as far as i can throw them. SO, I am NOT happy about seeing her again but I guess I will take what i can get.

I don't know if they ever did a culture or not the first time. They did a Pap smear so maybe? I told her about it then (two weeks ago) and she didn't do anything about it. Then she called me out of the blue last week to tell me they called me something in, and wanted me to call her. I did and she never called me back.

Don't worry about the oatmeal, Eeyore!! It was worth a try. Different things work on different people.

As far as baths...I just started taking baths a week ago since my most recent flare and I LOVE my baths! Sniff, sniff. They make me feel better. I was worried about that though, if maybe that was not helping things. For some reason showers wear me out. I don't know why. They make me sooo tired!!

I will keep you posted. You guys are all so great.

Thanks so much!!!

Hugs,

Deena
  19. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

possable that the meds were to strong for you.
    You also need to watch what you put in your bath. Many soaps and bath fizzies can cause itching and rashes on sensative parts.
    A
  20. lease79

lease79 New Member

~QUOTE~
    If you have vaginal thrush, then I would almost bet that your husband has a yeast infection in his privates. In men there can be absolutely NO symptoms. I know a woman that had constant thrush for years. Couldn't work out why she kept getting it again & again. Well someone pointed out that you HAVE to treat your partner as well, or else is useless treating yourself, because you just get it straight back again.
    Treated her partner, problem solved ;)
    Hope that you are feeling better soon.
    Oh & tell your husband to stop being so darn macho! LOL He probably very much DOES have a yeast infection ;)