Have Acid reflux but need a Colonscopy done.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Miles, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles New Member

I am thinking about having one this summer but I have Acid reflux severe. If you have had one & have reflux bad, is it hard to drink all the solution & keep it down?

Thank you, Deb
  2. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I didn't have to drink a lot of liquid for mine. I had some other stuff to drink to move every thing through. My dr said that patients over 60, they don't like giving the stuff I drank because it make your potassiom drop. My mom has acid reflux also and she didnt have a problem with it. It was just a lot to drink.

I did fine on the upper, but when they did the lower, my body didn't tolerate it. So they had to give me extra anesthsia. I didn't feel a thing and every thing turned out fine.

Good Luck, You'll be okay. I'll keep you in my prayers.

3. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hi Deb... I also had a colonoscopy done and I have acid reflux. The doctor put me on Aciphix... a very good RX for acid reflux. I also have esophageal spasms and the Aciphix stopped the spasams too!

I am now on Prilosec OTC ... anyone can buy it at the drug store. It is working on both the reflux and on the esophageal spasms... WORKS GREAT!

So if you cannot get an RX for Aciphix... do get yourself some Prilosec.

I did have to drink the huge quantiy of water solution before my colonoscopy and I did fine.

I wish you well with it. Oh and while you are in having that procedure... ask if you doctor can do an endoscopy on your throat to determine what is going on with the acid reflux and to check to see if there is any damage to the throat or esophagus from the reflux.

Blessings... CarolK

4. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I had a colonscopy done this past winter and also have GERD pretty bad and am on Prilosec OTC. I had to take the pills instead of the solution, but I did ok and kept the water and pills down. It didn't affect the GERD. Good luck to you Deb. nanc
  5. livin4him

livin4him New Member

They prescribed Miralax the whole bottle - couldn't do it. I mixed it with the lemon juice like they said and it really made me sick. So I called the dr. on call and asked if 2 bottles of magnesium citrate would do the trick. He said yes, whatever would work best for me. So, I did that with orange juice. It was tough, cause I was already sick, but it worked.

You might want to think about taking a phenegran pill or either asking your dr. for a small prescription for them. They really do help with the nausea. But beware, they have a sedating effect, so I usually just do mine at night. If I have to during the day, I take 1/2 to begin with.

Also, I had a terrible time with my last Colonoscopy. (First one was just for the lower colon and then they gave you the whole gallon thing - it was awful). When my dr. wanted to do this last one, I said okay as long as I would be out completely. He said, yes, definitely we will make sure. Well, they didn't give me enough knock out stuff - woke up during and it was not good. Mine was esp. bad because he said I have more turns than a "normal" intestines. Mine go every which a way. I talked to someone who has had this done several times - she said she just tells them that she weighs a little bit more than she does - that way she will be sure and get enough. I would be very careful, though in doing this.

Hope this helps. Blessings to you.
  6. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

the light prep. Tell them the other makes you vomit..Then they will give it to you..I had both ends done this past summer, & that's what I did.. I too, have GERD & take Prilosec otc., but break them in half, as the whole one aggravates my IBS.

The doc said I was cleaned out very well w/the light prep. Good luck to you, & you will sail thru it. Nothing to it.

Hugs & Blessings;
  7. Miles

Miles New Member

Thank you all for the many responces. I will have a endoscope done too.

Thanks again, Deb
  8. sept

sept New Member

With all the misery we all have on a regular basis, a colonoscopy is not even on the chart. Buck up and be brave.
  9. spmary

spmary New Member

the prep is the worse part. But when I had the endoscopy done, I dreaded it and told the doc. I just coud not swallow that tube. Had done it 3 times before and just knew I could notdo it again. The Doc. was from India and promised I wouldn't know a thing. I said ,Do you promise? He said yes, so I said if I do you will meet the patient from hell. His eyes got big,but he said I promise.And the next thing I knew I was back in the cubicle buttoning my blouse. So I know they do give you somthing. I know he did it because he even gave me pictures of my ulcer and some precancerus cells.Ugly looking things. Nexium fixed the ulcer and stopped the pain in my throat. Good luck and don't worry. Mary
  10. ligray

ligray New Member

I have been taking Aciphex it does not work. this pain is the worst pain I ever had in my life. Mine seems to flair up when I use Pepcid and my Pulmacort or Advair inhalers for my asthma. I have heard Nitro works, but this pain takes the strongest out there. I am going to ask my Dr. for a RX of Nitro sub lingual. I am miserable. I hope you never get another one.