Have active efforts to get better worked for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I thought this would be interesting to ask.

If they have, what things that you've done have been most helpful?
  2. Spacey_sjca

Spacey_sjca New Member

Some things work, others are a complete bust.
    #1: Best help for me has been a combo of Trazodone and flexeril at night to knock me out for 8 hours at a stretch. If I can pass out for just one night, it's enough to end a flare-up.
    #2: Paying close attention to what makes me hurt and avoiding it. (Housework hurts. YAY! But so does softball. I went to a picnic and participated in ONE race and now I'm in a flareup. But it was worth it darn it!)
    #3: Paying close attention to what doesn't make me hurt and including as much of in my hobbies as I can. (swimming slowly doesn't hurt, so snorkeling and SCUBA are things I can do. And snorkeling actually makes me feel better, so now I do it at the gym, too!! And I can actually ride horses as long as someone else does all the work and helps me mount.)
    #4: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The book "Feeling Good", by David D. Burns, M.D was recommended by my therapist, and turned my life around. But I needed her guidance to take me through the book cuz I would have been too sad and tired to tackle it on my own.
    #5: Knowledge. Learning all I can, thinking about it, and taking it to my doctor - multiple times if necessary. (I'm still convinced that I have issues with TOS - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - but the 30 second tests they do in the office don't support that. I'm working up more evidence that those tests aren't always successful at catching it and will take it back to the doctor a 5th time.)
    #6: Giving myself permission to be sick. I do the best I can to take care of myself, but when I need to sit and be sick, I do it. I left work early today and if they fire my butt for it - so be it! More ammo for disability.

The last one is the hardest by far and I'm still working on being guilt-free over this. It's not my fault I'm sick. I have sympathy for the impact of it on my family and friends, but their adjustment is only a small percentage of the adjustment I've had to make. But, oh my, I used to be such a superwoman and now my husband fusses at me because I have trouble keeping the litter box clean. (Insert dramatic roll of the eyes)
    Hope this list is helpful to others. I'm lucky that my DD isn't as severe or complicated as most of the other posters, so many of our cohort here will have other things to suggest, and I hope they have a dab of energy to spare to do so.

Virtual hugs,
    Spacey
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2006]
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lisa, this isn't very active, but what is helping me the most right now is REST, REST, REST. I don't fight it anymore, As Spacey said, I've given myself permission to be sick and I've accepted this illness. Funny, by accepting it, I can now do the things that my body needs. And, of course, my faith in God which gives me hope that I will get better.

Lolalee