Have an easy recipe to make powerful probiotic Kefir?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi all,

Searching online and finding lots of different recipes to make Kefir,
    each with it's own little variation. I'm so new to this, I could use a recommendation.

Wondering if anyone has a recipe, perhaps from a nutritionist or doctor,
    that's specifically designed to be easy to make and produce the
    most powerful probiotic punch.
    I just want a functional Kefir recipe for CFS people basically....

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been making kefir now for 3 weeks and it is the easiest thing in the world to make. Plus, I think it's helping my digestion.

I bought some milk kefir "grains" (that's what they're called) from kefirlady.com - cost $20, but she sends very good instructions and several recipes and the grains were very good.

I use powdered goat's milk because I'm allergic to cow milk, and supposed to tolerate goat milk better. The fresh goat milk was too expensive for me. I buy powdered goat milk from Vitacost on-line and it works (costs about half of what it would cost in the heatlh food store)

You just add the milk or goat's milk to the grains, let it sit out on the counter for 24 hours, and you've got kefir. You strain the grains and make more. The grains keep growing, you have to keep feeding them! (adding larger quantities of milk) (hungry little buggers) Kefirlady explains all this in her directions. I've already given away grains to two different people and still have enough, am going to have to start eating them because I can't drink all the kefir I make. And eating the grains is suppsoed to be good.

Don't buy the dried kind in the health food store - they only work 5 or 6 times and then stop.

3. simonedb

simonedb Member

anyone know how i could start it with coconut? I found a good kefir made out of coconut at whole foods which is great cus even goats milk increases my pain
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here's a link for making coconut kefir: http://just-making-noise.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-make-coconut-kefir.html

There are two kinds of live kefir grains - milk and water. I think you would use water kefir grains for coconut kefir, but am not sure. One good website is kefirlady.com, you can e-mail her and she will answer your questions. You could also contact culturesforhealth.com and see what they say.

5. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Wow. What a brilliant method.
    Get the grains, use powdered milk and make a POWERFUL probiotic.

I'm going to do it this week.
    Fresh goat milk is expensive. As is fresh goat yogurt which I buy and use.

I never would have thought of this, thank you!

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You are welcome! I was so pleased when I discovered there was such a thing as powdered goat milk. I had been wrestling with the same problem, how to make affordable kefir from goat's milk. And then I just googled powdered goat milk and there it was - it solved all my problems.

The grains I got from kefirlady.com really are very good, no trouble growing them at all, and she answers e-mail pretty promptly -

Good luck!

7. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi Mary,

I found a 12 oz can of Meyenberg instant powdered for $8.
    It says this one makes 12 cups total.

Do you use it like that? Or can you stretch it to make more milk?
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've found it's not good to try to stretch it. The kefir grains like to eat, and when I diluted the goat's milk, the kefir did not come out very good. The Meyenberg is what I'm using.

You'll find when you start making it that if they don't get enough milk, the kefir turns too sour and sort of fizzy, you can tell it's not good (again, kefir lady tells all about this - her instructions are really very good).

Because the kefir grains keep growing, you either have to add more milk each time to keep them fed (it's funny in away), or give away the extra grains or eat them (as I've started to do).

So if you make 2 cups a day, a can lasts almost a week. Yeah, that's a little over $32 a month, a little pricey. You could always just make one cup a day and that might be enough because it is so good for you.