Have any of you become immune to your meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Dec 13, 2010.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I have been taking ambien for about 10 yrs now and I am not sleeping much anymore.. I have tried amcien cr,lunesta, and it seems maybe another one for sleep. My fibro is way worse w/o any sleep. does anyone have this prob. and if so, what do u suggest???

Thanks- Kriket
  2. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

Yes, Ambien stopped working for me after awhile on it.

Sometime after a long time on a sleeping drug a person gets tolerant of their effects.

Some people just switch to another sleeping drug when ambien or whatever stops working.
    That's one option for you.

I chose to just cut back and get off it. Luckily Ambien isn't so too hard to get off as long as you reduce slowly -NOT all at once. I can not remember how I reduced it exactly. I think it was 1/4 or 1/8 of a tablet cut off once a week according to how I was feeling....but don't rely on me for that info. There was a website about benzo drugs that told me how to reduce. I can't remember now. I'm brainfogged.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

if your sleeping pills arent working stop taking them, sometimes with a good break from them they will start working again but when u go back to them just use the same pill intermittently. Antihistamines can help as some are sedating like phenergan, atarax.
    or look into sedating antidepressants like doxepine or mirtazapine or even seroquel. If u have a few things up your sleeve u can then rotate between them each night. Sometimes things just stop working and u just have to put up with yuck sleep for a few days then u might find the pills working again.

good luck,