HAVE ANY OF YOU EXPERIENCED THIS,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATS2, Jun 25, 2006.

1. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROMYALGIA SIXTEEN YEARS AGO. THURSDAY I WAS TOLD BY MY DOCTOR THAT I HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS, ALL THE VERTEBRAE ARE CRUMBLED. I AM IN SHOCK AND FEELING VERY DEFEATED. (PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF THIS MESSAGE LANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF ANOTHER SUBJECT, I HAVEN'T LEARNED HOW TO DO THIS YET.) IF ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED OSTEOPOROSIS, PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Osteoporosis is likely more common with Fibro because we cannot do the weight bearing exercise that is necessary to prevent it. There is also a familial tendency towards Osteo.

If you have it, try everything you can to treat it and to prevent further bone loss. The rest of us should at least try to do some walking, take lots of calcium and have regular bone density screening. It's a crippling condition for many.

Kathy.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As we age we are subject to osteoporosis, no matter what other DD we have.

There are meds that one can use to stop the deterioration of the bones. However, to alarm you by saying they are crumbled is wrong. If your bones were crumbled you would not be able to support yourself. It is also unethical to use such language and scare you.

What this doctor should have done was show you exactly what happens to our bones as we age, explain degree of bone loss and how he intends to address it, which he can.

You need an appt, immediately with an ostepathic doctor or similar expert who can help you decide a course of treatment.

You probably have FM as well. I feel for you, but please know that many older women have this. I have not checked your age, but suspect you must be over 45. Fosamax is a pill my MIL takes re this disease and although she had alreday got a humpy back before dx she is 80 and doing very well.

Love Anne Cromwell
  4. jess

jess New Member

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. I have osteopenia. If you take calcium remember to make sure you also take vitamin D, magnesium, boron and other minerals with the calcium. You can get calcium with these other minerals in it. Calcium carbonate is the hardest to absorb. Citrate is easier. Weight bearing exercises ae used for this. You can start with one pound weights if you are able to. I have bone spurs in my spine. Lots of them. My spine is already slightly curved. I can't take meds because of my esophagus problems. Anyway, I hope you can improve this condition. Jess
  5. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

is thinning of the bones but not yet osteoporosis. My grandmothers had the hump on their backs so we now know what was wrong with them.

There are alot of good meds out there now that wasnt available a few yrs ago. Did your dr prescribe any meds to stop or control the osteo? I think there are some that say they can reverse some of it, but it sounds like yours has really progressed beyond that.

suzette