Have any of you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by steach, Aug 20, 2009.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

I need information, support, ideas, suggestions, advice.......

I have CFS/FM and know that I need to quit smoking for me -and- for my family. It is just sooooo difficult. I know that I would probably feel better and it would be much better for my family.

During my first two pregnancies, I quit the same day that I found out that I was pregnant. My third pregnancy, well, I tried to quit but couldn't. I am 44 and have been smoking since I was a teenager.

I can't used the advertised medications to help stop smoking b/c I do not have insurance.

Smoking is my "crutch", especially when I am stressed.

My children are older and live with my fiancee and me but it wasn't a problem until lately. I have recently found out that my 18 YO daughter is expecting. She doesn't want to be exposed to the smoke and it is a battle every time that I light-up.

I am open for suggestions, opinions, advice.

Thanks friends,
  2. jole

jole Member

And I will be the first to say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done!!! But you can do it! I smoked for many, many years also and quit without the help of any aides.

For me, first of all I started by smoking nowhere but outside. Never in the house. Never in the car. We don't have a garage so that wasn't a problem.

Next, I changed the times I normally smoked. For instance, with my first cuppa in the morning...after meals...at bedtime. I would make myself wait at least 30 min longer than usual, and get up and do those dishes or make the beds first.

Then, I started cutting back the amount. I was a pack/day smoker, so I counted them out and each week cut back 2 cigarettes per day. I had tried "cold turkey" several times and it just didn't work for me. This weaned my body and changed my smoking habit at the same time.

By the time I was down to 4 I really varied the times even more so I had to go through the slight withdrawal symptoms at times from then on....getting me more prepared for the BIG DAY. I then started telling myself, "You can have one, just not now" in order to lessen the urges.

By the time I quit, I was ready....I can't take the cold weather and it was winter by then. Going outside for a few puffs no longer was worth it to me. But the quitting did still give me strong urges for a long time. It's hard to stay stronger than the urges. But keep that precious baby in mind.

Now, having my house smell better, clothes not linger with smoke, hair smell fresh, etc. is well worth it....oh yea, and the health benefits..lol. Plus my grandkids are proud of me!

If you fail, and you might the first time, don't get discouraged...try again. That precious baby and her mom are well worth it! You certainly don't want to lose them over the smoke issue. Please keep me posted on your progress. I'll be your cheering squad, okay? YEA STEACH, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Love ya....Jole

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2009]
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Excellent point about taking it outdoors!
    That's a first step, & shows consideration for others' health.

Jole is absolutely 100% right, too!
    Don't let a "failure" stop you!!!!

I have friends & acquaintances who quit a life-long addiction to HARD drugs and/or alcohol, who swear it's even harder than that to quit the cigs!
    However... Oddly enough, I also know people who simply tossed them out & said, "Eh, no big deal!"
    Huh! Go figure! It must be a metabolism-thing, IMO.

The point is this:
    1) It's harder for some people than it is for others.
    2) It's worth doing, so DON'T let temporary discouragement stop ya!
    3) When we "give up" something, it helps to replace it with something else, or else we have a sense of "something-is-missing-now".

Perhaps, during the take-it-outdoors phase, you'll have quiet time to think of healthy & creative alternatives?

Hmmm... Now that I think of it - is there a 12-step type of group, or other (free) support available? That's how my friends got off the "hard stuff".

I'm on your cheer-squad, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I did, too. I smoked from about 17 to 27 and quit with little difficulty because I had a new husband who was a non-smoker, but never complained about my smoking, so I could kiss him when I was struggling. It was easy.

Then, at about 45, I very slowly took it up again - stupid, stupid, stupid! At 55, I quit again and it was not as easy as it had been the first time.

I think that Jole gave you a really wonderful, detailed strategy for quitting. I have very little to add to it. If you follow her lead, you'll quit.

I smoked in my apt. and it was totally integrated into my life. Not good. So, I cut straws (fat, white straws) into cigarette size lengths and "smoked" them whenever the urge struck. I kept them in a little box so that my hands could do everything they were habituated to do and I even rested my straw in something like, but not, an ashtray. "Smoking" the straw also gave me a dose of oxygen when I felt I needed something. I "smoked" straws for quite a long time and it worked for me.

I also cut back first much as Jole suggested. I also used mindfulness practices but I bet you can do it with Jole's terrific plan and a couple of cut up straws.

Good luck, it's totally worth it!

5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Cool straw-trick! I never heard of that one!!!

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Thank you! I knew, since I had been smoking inside on the computer, etc., that it would be much, much easier if I could keep doing those habitual little gestures - reaching, opening, holding, inhaling, exhaling... it was a huge help! HUGE! Pass it on!

peace out,
  7. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Early this year I quit smoking due to heart palpatations. The palps turned out to be anxiety supposedly but they would get worse every time I smoked and I couldn't handle it. The advice I would give would be to stay away from smokers and smoking environments until you have fully quit. Also strangely eating carrots really helped me get through it that first month - I think it helped me take out my frustration by biting and also aided the oral fixation. I know it sounds funny lol. Good luck to you on improving your health by quitting. I hope you get all the help you need!
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

over twenty years ago when i was 28 and it was not easy, so you have my empathy.

The idea with the straws posted above is a good one--definitely worth a try.

I was really motivated by a trick I came up with. I took a glass mason jar, and cut a slit in the top. Every day, without fail,I placed $3 in the jar, the average cost of a pack of cigarettes back then. At the end of the month, I had $90 or so, and allowed myself to spend it on whatever frivolous item I wanted. One month it was gold earrings, another month a pair of boots I had my eye on. If I slipped up, no money went in the jar for the day, even if I had just grubbed one butt from someone. That only happened two or three times. That money really motivated me, and really helped me quit.

After a few months, I found out I was pregnant. I continued the money jar anyway, and each month I was able to purchase random baby items here and there with the forced savings. I have never retuurned to smoking, and I consider it one of my greatest and hardest accomplishments. If someone has never smoked, they have absolutely no idea how hard it is to quit. I am just so happy that hubby does not smoke and especially that none of my children smoke. What a relief!

Best of luck to you. Practically every smoker who successfully quits the habit will tell you it takes several attempts before you actually quit for good. And if you have a slip-up, so what. Get back up on your quiting horse and keep on going!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2009]
  9. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago. I made a promise to my grandchildren that I would quit, so I had to keep my promise.......

It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I did it!!!!! My SIL is in the process of quitting right now. He is using the patch, and Wellbutrin......

I say, whatever works for you .....TRY it!!!!!!! And NOT smoking in the house is another thing I did. After a few days of not smoking in your house, you will be horrified at what your house really smells like!!!!!!

Good luck, you can do this....Do it for your new grand baby and for your health!!!!!!
  10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Of course, but I have a question for those of you who quit:
    Did you gain a lot of weight?

I'm asking cuz I need to quit, too.
    But everybody I know who did, gained LOTS of weight.
    I dunno if I could handle that.
    My parents really worry about my smoking, & I wanna quit for them
    They never smoked, & I didn't learn it at home!

Actually, I had a huge secret crush on my 4th grade teacher, & he was a smoker. I thought he was SOOOO cool! That's when I started.
    I thought I was being SO grownup, but now I realize I musta looked like a little doofus...

Around age 10 seems to be a common time to start...

I feel stupid, even admitting I smoke... ick...

Thanks Y'all!
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I didn't gain a lot of weight either time I quit. You may recall that the first time I quit for about 20 years and I've been quit again for 3.

I have gained more weight when hanging out with big eaters than I have either time I quit smoking. I'm 5'6" and a healthy weight for me is around 120 lbs and aROuNd 120 lbs I stay. Of course, if you eat to deal with cravings, you'll gain weight. If you use the straw technique and keep cut up veggies in the fridge, you'll be fine.

Try to find a reason to do it for you; it will help.

If you decide to do it, I'm sure you'll be successful.

Peace to you,

12. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I gained weight from quitting smoking because I had only quit for three months when I became pregnant with twins--and gained sixty four pounds!! I gave birth to fourteen pounds of babies, and then lost eighty pounds, so I never really knew for sure how quitting smoking affected my weight!!

My best friend recently quit smoking AND lost thirty pounds thanks to Jenny Craig. I am so proud of her!!

Just concentrate on quitting smoking, and if you need to compensate with food a bit, try and make sure it's fruit or something low fat and healthy. Good luck--I just know you can do it!!!

13. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Even tho I didn't start this thread, LOL!
    Thanks for the great support & suggestions.

One thing I do (since being an adult) is to make sure NO kid ever sees me smoke! Knowing how I got started, I don't want to be resposible for some other kid thinking that smoking is a very grown-up thing to do.