Have any of you tried Yoga?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronagh, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

I'm curious about Yoga, my Dr told me to give it a try, have any of you tried it?

I forgot to ask the Rheumy about it when i saw him last week.

I'd like to feel that i'm doing something healthy for myself, i can do some walking on a good day but find i stiffen up a couples of hours afterwards.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hope you have a good day everyone.

Bronagh :)
  2. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Sorry about that Vickey, it's Fibro that i have and Degenerative Discs in L4-L5.

Rheumy said symptoms coming from Discs are made worse by Fibro so im not sure if too much movement will make things worse.

Thank you Vickey,

3. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

It depends on what you have and how much.
    I have been doing yoga all my life, on and of. I am 43 and gave it up, because of cfids and the pain and low grade fever following in the evenings. I tried little and special positions. no use.
    But relaxation and meditation are fine.
    Any how, yoga is strong tool and has to be started under guidence.
    But all the yogis here in India (i live in India) are saying, that when you are ill, you should rest. The body needs all his strength too heal. so....

karinaxx,
  4. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

I've been doing Qigong twice a week for a couple of months. It's a Chinese form of movement meditation and really, really gentle. It's a lot of deep breathing and relaxed movements. I find it to be very calming (mentally) but energizing (physically) at the same time.

I tried a gentle yoga class, and I was exhausted for several days afterwards. Everyone is different, and every yoga class is different, of course, but I couldn't do it. I have bad knees, and yoga is really hard on the knees with all the stretching and kneeling/bending poses.

I also tried an arthritis/fibromyalgia swim class with mostly elderly participants who could barely walk with canes--and it did me in for about three days. I was so sore and exhausted. It was rather discouraging, as I'm only in my early thirties and three years ago I was figure skating six hours a week. I couldn't believe how fragile I've become.

Anyway, for now, it's Qigong for me. I'm really loving it, and I'd recommend it for FM/CFS sufferers.
  5. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you for your reply:)

I honestly don't think Dr's realise how painful Fibro is, i knew when she asked me to try Yoga that i would not be able to do it.

Thank you again for your info, it's appreciated.

Have a good day.

Bronagh:)
  6. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you for the info. I've never heard of Qigong, i doubt if there are classes where i live but i'll enquire.

I just feel i need to do something because i want to loose some weight, i'm afraid i'll become flabby if i don't tone up in some way.

Maybe i'm trying to reach for the moon if you know what i mean:)

Hope you have a good day.