Have been on vicoden...Doc just suggested Oxycontin???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Just went in to the doc to update my pain med prescriptions. I have been on vicoden for about 2 1/2 years,and I will say that I can take between 3 and 6 on any given day..depending on my pain levels. I have always kept good watch on my liver etc. ( we have moved and this is a new doc..2nd visit, btw.) Our initial visit he sounded perfectly happy to keep my pain meds the same, and commented that he thought I sounded like I had a good amount of info about FMS and what I was dealing with. This visit he says "I am concerned about the amount of tylenol you are taking in". I am wondering if he JUST read a study about tylenol intake???LOL I ask what he would replace the vicoden with..and his answer is OXYCONTIN. Now I realize some folks on this board are taking Oxy...but I guess I haven't felt a need to "progress" from the vicoden at this point. It does do a pretty good job for me. The idea of being on Oxycontin full time freaks me out! Am I over reacting???I am one of the "lucky" FMS sufferers that hasn't had a pain free day in more than 18 months...and there are times where I would say my pain levels hit "8" at least...they have been bad enough that they have brought tears to my eyes..but more often I am in the 2 to 5 range..and the vicoden manages that well.

So..I guess I am just looking for opinions..as I try to formulate my own. Thanks in advance for any help you can give about taking Oxycontin!

2. m5shelly

m5shelly New Member

I have been on both, and have been on both at the same time. I preferred the oxy, mainly because you don't have to take it every four hours. I had a tough time remembering to take them before the last dose ran out, and that's not an issue with the oxys, cause they last a lot longer, and have about the same effect as 15 mg of vicoden every four hours, IMO.

Another positive with the oxys, is you don't have to carry as many if you leave the house or travel. You can normally get by with a small prescription bottle instead of a huge bottle of large pills.
  3. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Hi,

If your Dr. is concerned about tylenol intake, you could try Norco 10/325. Vicodin 5/500 would normally have 500mg of tylenol instead of the 325mg thats in Norco.

Instead of me taking 1 vicodin 5/5oo I cut in half the Norco and still get 5mg of the narcotic and only 163mg of tylenol.

My Dr. had never hard of Norco (I heard of it here on the message board). It also comes in a 7.5 with less tylenol. That's what my Dr now orders me and I get much less Tylenol. I've never taken oxy.

Good-luck on whatever you decide.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

out of me. My friend's brother is a lawyer and has dealt with a couple of cases involving this. My friend has had back surgery and her brother told her to stay as far away from Oxycontin as possible.

A salesman that came into my friend's work told us he takes five each day to keep from getting migraines. I asked him what kind of crazy doctor he had. He said he loves the stuff - it makes him feel great. Oh brother!

I know there are horror stories about every medication. If you take it, just be sure to be careful to stick to the right dosage. I guess I'm scared because I have messed up on my meds before and it is very easy to overdose on the stuff. A 22 year old in our town died from it. His girlfriend stole it for him from the pharmacy where she worked.
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I used to be on Tylenol 3 for many years, and I was finding it just wasn't doing the job anymore. My GP didn't want to give me anything else, so he referred me to a local dr who prescibes stronger meds.

He started me off on Morphine Sulfate, long lasting, but that was too hard on my stomach. Once this dr started me on stronger meds, my own dr had no trouble continuing.

He put me on Oxy IR which is immediate relief. I take 2.5mgs 3x/day, and 5 mgs at bedtime. I find this to be pretty good, and isn't as hard on my stomach.

Here in Canada these meds are a triple prescription, and they don't like to write them if they don't have too. I am not sure if he plans on putting me on oxycontin, but the Oxycodone is working good for me.

Raz
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i would say you found a good doctor who actaully is concerned about managing your pain well. the oxycontin is probablty a good idea at least to try. but if the only reason to do it is to eliminate the tylenol and you really are against it, you could also ask for vicoprofen. same thing as vicodin but they replaced the tylenol with ibuprofen. it's just another option.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  7. stevie10959

stevie10959 New Member

I have been oxycodone since april as far as I know this is oxycontin..This is what my pain mgmt doctor switched me from vicodin as my liver enzymes were really high..I take one every 12 hours and I find they work better than vicodin and my liver enzymes are back to normal..I think when you are in alot of pain you dont get a high as people that take them for recreational purposes.They are also timed released so you cant crush them people that are looking to get high crush them..I have found they work for me and I dont have to worry about me liver....
  8. RicksChic

RicksChic New Member

Vicodin without tylenol is: HYDROcodone. That's just the generic name Vicodin and others. OXYCOdone is generic for the percocet, which is in Oxycontin. Suzan, email me if you still need information...I've taken them ALL!
  9. achy

achy New Member

The main reason many ppl "freakout" when they hear Oxy-anything is because of the all the bad publicity it has gotten.

It is a very good pain medication when used as it's meant to be. I've been on and off it several times since my diagnosis 5 yrs ago.

Oxycontin is a timed release version of oxycodone. Oxycodone, or OxyIR, is an immediate release...and it doesn't contain tylenol or Ibuprofen. My script is for 30mg 4Times a day. Some days I take the max...many days I only take 15 mg. My doc lets me do as I need. (Thank you God)

Talk honestly with your doc about what you WANT/NEED in the form of pain relief. There are many meds that don't contain added ingredients like tylenol.

good luck
    achy
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I have been on oxycontin, and believe me, it was no big deal. It is better for your liver than the vicodin. Give it a try. Believe me, these kinds of pain meds were made for people who are in pain like yours, and to have a doc who actually wants you to try it is a godsend!

Be thankful and happy, and give it a try!
    You deserve to have pain relief!
    Best of luck,
    Mini
  11. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

Just a comment on the norco.. for those who's doc's aren't familiar with it, it is just lortab at a higher does, 10,325 - 10mg hydrocodone and 325 acetaminophin. I take it and think also it's an excellent option to decrease the tylenol amount.

Patty
  12. homesheba

homesheba New Member

my goodness. i have gotten sooo much info here. thank you all so much!!!
    i have taken lortab from my same pain mgt dr for a year...
    and then he FINALLY raised it to vicodin and i have been on that- the higher amt ,
    now for 2 years almost. i also have hep c.

and when i told him it wasnt wking as well and asked if i could try something else-
    he almost has a heart attack and looked at me like i was a druggie!!!
    i am so parinoid to even talk to him like i know anything cause to so many doctors here-
    the more knowledge you have about meds-
    it means you are a seeker.
    id love to try the percocet cause right now i am basically just having the edge taken off
    and stay a 8 in pain level,
    and a flair is a nightmare...
    i am so depressed over it.
    i have no one else really to go to cause all the doctors down here in miss
    are like that now after all that mess years ago.
    and tons got sued for giving them to patients...
  13. princess2

princess2 New Member

Hi, I'm new here but I take Kadian 3omg 2 times a day, Soma 4 times a day for spasms, Xanex .25 mg. 4 times a day and oxycodone for just in case I have a BAD day. Kadian works pretty good. Also I use Lidaderm patches which help.
  14. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I take the 10mg and it works pretty good,
    it's lower in Tylenol than the regular Vicodan.

I ended up in the ER when they tried to put me on the Oxcy, I have IBS and I think that was the problem.

Good luck, hope you get the right Pain med for you.
  15. fibromomgrammy

fibromomgrammy New Member

I am an Rn and am very concerned about interactions and side effects of all medications. I have found oxycontin perfect for my pain as I can take small amounts to manage how I am doing without the worry of liver dammage. I have taken as little as 10 mg a day and as much as 60 depending on my pain. The other thing is it does not make me sleepy like vicodin can.