Have Dr. Appt. Tomorrow-Scared To Talk About FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Mar 7, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

My husband insisted I make an appt. because I have been having persistent diarrhea. However, I am having a horrible flare right now with some scary symptoms. Not only do I have horrible back, shoulder, and neck pain, but intense, debilitating fatigue and exhaustion from just putting my arms over my head to put my hair in a pony tail. I have only seen this doctor one time and I didn't mention to him I had FM. I wrote it on my medical history, but I was still basically in my nearly two year remission at the time so I didn't feel I needed to bring it up to him.

I am just scared to talk to doctors about FM because I have had such negative experiences with them. They are either rude or say there is nothing that can be done for fibromyalgia and I just have to live with it. Then they give you that look like you are nuts and hurry out. I had a pain doctor where I used to live who treated me and he told me to just let him treat it. He was very receptive and willing to try things and I liked him. Since I have married he is an hour away though and I no longer have a car so I have to make due with this new doctor. This is a small town and I haven't had much luck so far with the doctors here so far so I am frankly worried. I also miss my old primary care doctor, he understood FM too. :(

I don't know how to bring it up, how to convey to him the pain and problems I am having, it is just so frustrating. You almost feel like you have something to prove--and you don't. It's awful. You feel like you have to prove you have legitimate pain and problems, and it makes me angry. I am just scared, and am even trying to half talk myself out of even bringing it up to him at all to spare myself humilitation.

Got any advice?

Deena
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Deena:
    Maybe you can tell him what the other doctor was doing to treat you and get the records forwarded to your new doctor.
    If he refuses to go along with it, I would get to the old previous doctor by hook or crook. Good luck.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Sweet girl.....I want you to know that are NOT alone...and for you to know that you sound just like so many others here. Your story could be a younger version of mine!

We are so misunderstood....BUT...we (you) can't give up!

You are fighting a serious health issue here.
    Please, don't allow the docs to bring you down.
    Just remember they don't feel your pain.
    Plus, many docs today lose track of what they are in the medical profession for.

I can TRULY attest to this.
    Before I knew what was wrong with me, I had this doc that was just starting out his practice.
    I saw how he started it out.
    He was VERY concerned about his patients.....but as his practice grew he changed.
    He went from coming in, and taking my hand and talking to me with REAL concern... to coming in and seemingly trying to remember who I was. I felt like I was dizzy after he left...because he came in in such a wiz!

It is sad that some get so many patients that they aren't doing any/many any good at all!! They are just getting more money coming in.

Now, I don't want to be accused of doc bashing... because all that I am doing is stating what I have experienced.

I want you to know that I pray for you sweetie.... and try to boost yourself up as much as possible before going. But, go in with made up mind that you KNOW that you are in SERIOUS pain... and you DESERVE help from a doc!

Remember too... that we are in your corner and rooting for you!!

I just looked at your profile pic. You and hubby are a lovely couple.

Oh I am back........I saw what Marcia said...this I forgot to mention.
    With my brain fog I have found out that if my hubby can go with me... it helps me SO SO much.

It is like some of the pressure is taken off of me.
    He is also there to tell the doc what you and he go thru! That way they see that you have support!!

Bless you.......Mari
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I encourage you to tell him what you are experiencing, despite the apprhensive about a negative reaction from him. Like someone else suggested--if you feel comfortable, perhaps have your husband go with you for support.

Also, I've had chronic GI trouble since my early twenties and I wish I'd had it addressed earlier.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

My suggestion is to not mention that you have fibro, but just tell him ALL of your symptoms and problems that you are having and see what conclusion he comes to!

Prepare for your appointment by making a list of all of what is bothering you now -- like your persistent diarrhea/IBS; horrible back, shoulder, and neck pain; intense, debilitating fatigue; and exhaustion from just putting my arms over my head to put my hair in a pony tail, etc.

Make sure you give him examples of what you used to be able to do and what you CAN NOT do now due to these problems.

Make sure the doc knows that you are not able to function on a daily basis like you should be and that is a real concern of yours.

My daughter is a physician and she said that, unfortunately, the minute that you tell a new doctor that you have fibro, they kind of tune you out. She suggested to me what I just told you because I am going to a new Rheumy the end of this month for a second opinion.

Good luck with your appointment.

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I feel better about my appointment. I had started a list, but I added my fibro symptoms to it, but DIDN'T mention fibro.

I have another question: What do you think about me telling him I work out most weekdays for an hour at the gym with my husband? I didn't today because I was just too fatigued. I do go back to bed afterwards and sleep for several hours, as we work out at 5:00 before my husband goes to work and I am usually exhausted. Is the doctor going to think, well if you can work out, you must not be TOO fatigued?

I am going back to bed, but will be checking back in.

Love,

Deena
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

be causing the diarrhea? Are you using the probiotics?

Just a thought. I think that taking something to stop the runs is not so great as the runs are needed to clear the body, if you can deal with it for a little while.

Also, scrambled eggs bind loose bowels somewhat.

Love Anne C