have got dla but not claiming again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smiffy79, Dec 14, 2005.

1. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi all
    ive been awarded disability again but this time for only two years, that really bugged me!
    ive only claimed twice and been awarded twice but i felt soo under the microscope it made me really ill and paranoid ive decided its just not worth claiming again.

im not going to use the money for a mobility car like ive done last time but instead i will buy the best car i can afford and hope it lasts for after my money stops being paid.

i know they have been out to watch me as ive received a letter which mentioned 'the manner in which i walk' but what seriously bugs me is we have this counciller with a counciller husband and counciller brother. she claims full rate mobility and care and works as a lollipop lady plus my husband has seen her run with her arms full of shopping!!!
    the injustice of it, and they were called out to watch on me!!

anybody else looking forward to not having the benefit?
    i feel tagged or labelled.
    dont get me wrong the money has come in really handy and the car a god send and my blue badge and tax tisc ive been so grateful for.
    i just feel like i have something hanging over me.
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

It makes me even more annoyed when we see the psychologisers writing and talking about secondary gains. What secondary gains?

I've always disliked labels, even more so these days, we're made to look like scroungers even though studies have highlighted the high levels of poverty in the disabled community. DLA does not go anywhere near the additional costs of being disabled, which in most ME/CFS and FM cases inevitably includes self funding the things that help us most.

I look forward to the day when I can walk away from all of this. I understand why they need to stop the cheats but whenever the govt goes for cost cutting this way it seems to be the genuine cases who lose out most.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

but unfortunately we live in the UK. There are national state funded fatigue clinics but most of them work on the premise ME/CFS and FM are functional somatic disorders. Very few, if any, investigations are carried out; instead the only Tx being offered to patients are CBT and graded aerobic exercise.

I get some help from one doctor, but I have to self fund this 100%. Other than that I self treat; what I am doing is along similar lines to the Tx FFCs in the US provide.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

what you said about self funding, have you bought your self a pre payment certificate? its £33.90 for a quarter or just under £100 for a year and you dont have to pay for any prescription.
    ive found its saved me a small fortune. and tga mobility we dont have to pay tax on any purchase if your unwell.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was only awarded DLA for two years this time yet last time was for 4 years. I've been before a tribunal, I've had to appeal 3 times......unfortunately I depend on my DLA and cant stop taking it no matter how bad they make me feel.

But yes, I hate having to feel the need to justify myself all the time. Tansy is right too, they make us feel like scroungers.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

are not provided for me through the NHS, that's why I have to pay for them. It's a good reminder about the prepayment though; for anyone who does get regular scripts it helps to keep the cost down. Currently I only have one ongoing Rx.

love, Tansy
  7. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

It's okay!! They always say that. It only means that in 2 yrs. they will follow up to see if you are still sick. They send forms for you and the Dr. to fill out. Don't worry.

PIRT