Have I beaten my sugar addiction???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I have been pushing beyond my limits to get out socially lately.

This week has actually been overbooked and isn't sustainable as a CFS person, but what I am getting at is:

3 times i have been out for herbal tea to places with wonderful cakes and in today's case donuts. EAch time I stuck only with tea.

I have had a sweet tooth since I was a kid and it's been hard for me to cut down on sugar. Even with trying to follow antiCandida protocol, I usually feel the need for some little bit of sweet at some point in the day, even if it's just fruit or a little juice.

Because I was extremely ill recently, a friend of mine went ballistic and re-emphasized the importance of avoiding sugar, as if it was the source of all evils...But, I did take the point that I have to work even harder to get well, cause my quality of life was slipping away big time and I frequently wanted to die. [the intense pain of my injury played a big part in that, of course].

So, I have been working even harder to do what I need to do. Including "sinning" with the sweets less.

In addition to overlooking the lovely cakes and tiramisu [my fave] at a dessert cafe twice this week, and the donuts and cake at Tim Hortons today, this evening I planned to have a little of a homemade sweet snack [with some healthy ingredients and sweetened with honey], but I completely forgot and actually don't feel the need.

Maybe I am actually overcoming the sugar addiction????

Though, I will have to ask my father next time he comes down for a visit to please keep his chocolate bars out of sight, I think...

Perhaps this will inspire the other people out there with sweet tooths trying to overcome sugar addiction. I have been working on this for about 2 years. I think other people usually succeed faster than me, actually...

Oh wait, I do like a touch of honey in my herb tea...does that just negate what I just said???

Whoops.

jen
  2. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Give up sugar...never...not possible for me. I have managed to cut down, but I still want something sweet after dinner. I have sugar in my tea and coffee and the lollie jar is full!

Good luck with trying to beat it Jen.

Jeni

[This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  3. gracie97

gracie97 New Member

I've had a lot of problems with that too.

Lately have noticed that if I stay away from very sweet things (e.g. candy and cake), I'm happy with just fruit and mildly sweetened foods. But as soon as I have just a bite of candy, I'm back lusting after sugar-rich highly refined carbohydrates and have to use a lot will power to stop the binge.

Really is like an addiction, isn't it? Some of us just can't have just a little because it sets of bad jonesing!
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

to keep candida under control, attempt to keep blood sugar level steady, and because they make me feel worse when I eat them.

Not as easy as it sounds I know. If I cheat on these I end up wanting to binge and I find myself once again craving them.

Stick to it if you can Jen, sugar is no good for anyone, even more so for us.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Lately, I had gotten into the bad habit of eating chocolate ice cream -- I did not bring it in the house -- but was sure glad it was around, and M&Ms. For the past month, in an effort to lose weight, cut out the chocolate binging, except after supper when I feel like a sweet, I have been slicing strawberries and drizzling 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup over them.

Bought peanutbutter - natural - and no sugar. Limit intake to 1 teaspoon. Cut WAY back on carbs. Upped the protein, of course exercise a lot.

After five weeks, lost nothing, zippo. I am stil craving also. :( June
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

So...guess this is like being an alcoholic...pretty easy to fall off the wagon.

Oh June...did you ahve to say chocolate ice cream?

aaaahhhhhhhh....been way too long since I had chocolate. my mouth is watering thinking about chocolate ice cream, as I sit here eating my steamed broccoli.

June, if you are trying to lose weight, are you avoiding lots of fats as well as sugar? [note, i say lots of fats because some fat is good] Also, are you exercising? If you are exercising, remember you can lose fat and gain muscle so your weight may remain constant or if you make more muscle you may actually gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. Try eating a lot of fibre and best of luck to you! OH, and I personally like weight watcher recipes, I have a very old recipe book that I just love by them. I like their recipes because they make food taste good without using tons of fat or sugar, often are colorful meals and in this case, the portions are small. At the time I first used the book "Fast and Fabulous" [and weight was not an issue for me, it was my mother's book] was when almost all the other recipe books out there had recipes serving 4 - 8 people, and there was just lil ol me. Also, there are photos of some of the dishes which I like. This book has a chart for every recipe on how to convert it from the 2 servings to 3 or 4 or 5 servings.

Thanks for the sugar avoidance kudos and warnings to those who gave them!

J.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Helps me to look at it like it's POISON, literally. Although, for me it's not straight sugar, per se, it's carb sources made from wheat/gluten that turn into sugar. I found out I was horribly allergic to this stuff, and believe me, it's my "sugar"-----I was never a sweet eater, but I LOVED & CRAVED bread, crackers, pretzels, pasta, pizza, etc. This was my version of chocolate ice cream & M&Ms!! So now, I can't have any of this stuff. And I think I avoid temptation by remembering how poisonous this stuff is to me, & how lousy it made me feel. And I'm honestly not suffering too much, if I remember that. It's been about 7-8 months now for me. It also motivated me because I lost 25 lbs not eating all these starchy carbs. So that was a little extra bonus that has kept me from becoming weak, like when I'm out at a restaurant & the waiter delivers a plate of fresh bread to the table.

Good luck---my allergist says we (usually) either hate or crave the stuff we shouldn't have. In my case, I crave it, but feeling better & having more energy every day makes me follow my "rules". I wish you the best, I know from experience, this is not easy!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Jen,
    I definitely need to give up sugar since I have adrenal exhaustion and my doctor says no sugar and no caffeine. I just love my Lindt Chocolate truffles and my chocolate ice cream too much. I decided to wait til after Labor Day to work on my chocoholic ways. I want to enjoy the rest of my chocolate summer! LOL! I find high protein does help reduce my sugar cravings a bit but once I eat sugar, I just crave more sugar.

Love, Chocolate Covered Jasmine