have question about leaky gut/ibs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, May 18, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Is leaky gut & ibs the same thing? I've read posts on both & I still am not sure. If they are different, what are the differences?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Take care.......Kathi
  2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Leaky gut is more of a malabsorption problem, usually caused by Candida yeast overgrowth, but can coexist with IBS.

Here is some information on IBS:
    From the website MedicineNet

What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is one of the most common ailments of the bowel (intestines) and affects an estimated 15% of persons in the US. The term, irritable bowel, is not a particularly good one since it implies that the bowel is responding irritably to normal stimuli, and this may or may not be the case. The several names for IBS, including spastic colon, spastic colitis, and mucous colitis, attest to the difficulty of getting a descriptive handle on the ailment. Moreover, each of the other names is itself as problematic as the term IBS.

IBS is best described as a functional disease. The concept of functional disease is particularly useful when discussing diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The concept applies to the muscular organs of the gastrointestinal tract; the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, gallbladder, and colon. What is meant by the term, functional, is that either the muscles of the organs or the nerves that control the organs are not working normally, and, as a result, the organs do not function normally. The nerves that control the organs include not only the nerves that lie within the muscles of the organs but also the nerves of the spinal cord and brain.

Hope this helps,
    Lane
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

For more information go to their (nih gov) website, they have tons of information:
    National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). Points to remember about IBS:

IBS is a functional disorder in which the bowel doesn't work as it should.

IBS can cause cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and constipation.

IBS doesn't damage the bowel.

The doctor will diagnose IBS based on your symptoms. You might have some medical tests to rule out other diseases.

Stress doesn't cause IBS, but it can trigger symptoms.

Fatty foods, milk products, chocolate, caffeine, carbonated drinks, and alcohol can trigger symptoms.

Eating foods with fiber and eating smaller meals can reduce symptoms.

Treatment for IBS may include medicine, stress relief, or changes in eating habits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To clarify another point:
    IBS in combination with other bowel disorders such as Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis is referred to Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Lane

[This Message was Edited on 05/19/2003]
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Thanks Lane. What a ton of info. I'm sure if I had the time I could have done a search on it but, with working & stuff to do at home, I'm lucky to get on this web site daily.

Thanks you so much. This explains a lot.

Take care....kathi